Dustin Corea in El Salvador

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    What a great story. Good luck to the kid.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Re: European Opportunities for Dustin Corea?

Bit of an update today:

A full-ride scholarship to attend Oregon State University soon followed.

Corea returned to Milwaukie High this fall, where midway through the season he was approached by professional agents from Europe. They told him he’ll make $100,000 to $200,000 a year playing in Europe, if he signs a contract with them on his 18th birthday, which is March 21 of next year

“I love soccer and I'm probably going to turn professional, instead of going to OSU,” he said.​

Thank the author by clicking the link for the full article:

http://www.oregoncitynewsonline.com/sports/story.php?story_id=126031509455966200

Also -- apologies to Dustin for spelling his name wrong. Mods, can we change in the thread title? Only one "r" it seems...

4. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  6. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news for the kid! Congrats as well!

But for the love of all that is holy could someone please tell me that his natural position is LB.

Having read one of the articles, I can now say that I guess I can suffer with 'forward'. :D

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be pretty damn sweet to have Luis Gil and Dustin arrive at Arsenal at the same time. Assuming Luis (or both) sign. It would a package deal so to speak. Based on what I've read the kid has untapped talent and has a good head on his shoulders. Wherever he lands I hope it's the right environment where he can grow as a player and has a chance to play.

8. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does Spain have a special thing with El Salvador as well where if you stay there for 2 years you can get a Spanish passport?

9. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Arsenal & Barca, Good luck to Dustin and may he hard to attain his dream of playing pro soccer!

10. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is this kid?? Is he really that sort of incandescent talent that could fit into those two highly esteemed academies?

11. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Yes because El Salvador is a South American country.

12. bradley31

bradley31 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Who knows. I saw him one time and he has some special skills. Very slick player.

13. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you might want to take a look at a map.

That said, you are probably right that Spain will fast track Salvadoreans for citizenship because it is a former Spanish colony.

14. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    My bad.

15. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Looks like Juventes,Fiorentina,and Marseille are now his likely destinations.

And has interest in Portugal,Spain, Netherlands, Germany,England, and Mexico= When you combine all the linked artilces found on the net about him and the countries that are mentioned as having interest in him.

But, it looks like he now wants to play for El Salvador according to this article/interview. Also, article might hint a disagreement with US U-17 Coach? Not sure= From Google translater. Any excellent translators out there to get 100% translation?

http://www.elsalvador.com/mwedh/nota/nota_completa.asp?idCat=6429&idArt=4443611

And another Article showing Dustin as the front page story in a Newspaper.

http://losprovocadores.blogspot.com/2010/01/dustin-corea-ya-llego-los-periodicos.html

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Probably wasn't too thrilled that he was left off the US' U17 WC roster.... along with Gyau.... and Lleget.... and....

17. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is a case of him wanting to play for El Salvador more so than it is him wanting to not play for US since the U17 debacle. I'd say one quick phone call to him and his family will change his mind.

El Salvador haven't been to a World Cup since 1982. When are these younger players going to realize that the US is a World Cup lock. If you wanna play in the WC you play for USA and Mexico. Anything outside of that is a crapshoot.

18. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you think of no other reason for wanting to play for a national team than whether or not they are a lock for the World Cup?

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Pleasing your Italian father who is living vicariously through you?

20. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Among other reasons, yes.

21. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Short and sweet translation of the title quote - "I would love one day to play for El Salvador!"

22. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so if he chooses El Salvador is Cabrera the next Rongen?

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this seriously all that we think YNT coaches are for? Courting players with dual passports?

What kind of player is going to base his international future on the opinion of a single youth coach?

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes, apparently what our U17 coaches are supposed to do is lick the balls of all dual-nationals.......praying they won't switch. If Cabrera didn't think Correa wasn't as good as his other options, then that's fine. People freak out years later......in hindsight.

25. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007