Duke-OSU [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by delo_pata, Nov 28, 2004.

1. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Duke-OSU 3-0

After missing an early sitter at about 10" OSU didn't have nearly as much to offer as Duke. Duke was better skilled up the middle, and also hungrier, winning and outmuscling OSU players pretty frequently. Opening goal for Duke was very pretty--soon after the OSU miss, Vediera (I think?) dribbles through 3 guys at the left side of the box, darts in alone and beats the keeper low to the near post. Duke scored the other two later in the second half, one on the second or third touch off a corner, the third on a nice break after catching OSU pushing up. Very deserved win for Duke, I thought. UVA next?

2. Courtney

Courtney Member

May 14, 2000
    Massachusetts

Saturday Dec 4th! I'm excited!

3. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Duke was always the better team, although their defense looked shaky enough that I thought OSU might score, even though their forwards were playing 2v5 or 3v6 all game. But besides the goals, the next best three chances or so were Duke's. OSU's center back did pretty well, but the outside mids and backs struggled containing Duke's pressure.

Videira's goal was total class, and he showed just an amazing touch on the ball. I'd like to see his work rate improve though, as he often drifted through parts of the game without being involved on offense or defense.

4. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC

I though the same about Duke's backline, but that's pretty much always the case. They have the tendency to get caught too far forward. The center back from OSU, today at least, was by far their most skilled player. As you said, the rest of the OSU defense (and really the mids) just weren't fast, skilled, or strong enough to cope with Duke.

5. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Delo, check out this quote. The man seems completely delusional.

First of all, Videira's goal was hardly soft. He skinned three OSU defenders after Kramer had beaten one of them at the corner already. Burse maybe should have saved the near-post shot - but it was a low laser.

OSU could have been tied at the half if they hadn't been consistently a step or two off on Duke's trap. Of course, Duke could have easily led 2-0 if Wadsworth hadn't hit his 1v1 chance off the inside post and had Pope (I think) not completely botched the follow-up bunny.

OSU was competitive, but to say the first half was "all them" is ludicrous.

6. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Really bizarre. I've never thought very highly of Duke's teams over the years, always been pretty critical, in fact, but that's just silly. They had little in the way of meaningful possession throughout the match. I suppose he could have meant that Videira's goal was soft in the sense that no self-respecting defense should have ever let it happen. Regardless, it was a brilliant piece of individual effort. I thought the OSU bench in general were pretty classless. They were abusive to the AR about the last two goals (with no real basis for argument as far as I could see), so much so the AR was shouting back at them calling them "unprofessional."

7. VivaLesBleues

VivaLesBleues New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    The OSU coach is completely delusional. If their head coach took a moment away from yelling at the referees, then he would have realized that his team never had the edge in the game. The head coach spent more time yelling at the referees than coaching his team. OSU was definitely outplayed and their defense kept them in the game. They did not mount a complete attack ever and definitely became frustrated as the game wore on. OSU displayed a lack of class with a lot of cheap fouls towards the end of the game. Videira's goal was very good as he beat 3 OSU players on the dribble and beat the keeper to the near post. 2 duke goals within a couple minutes of each other sealed the deal and Duke is on to play UVA.

8. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    How did Danny Miller play for Duke?

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Are you speaking about #2 - Kyle Veris? He transferred to OSU as a forward and played there early in the year for the Buckeyes. They moved him to the backline about 2/3'rds of the way through the season, and he's played better and better each game. With his skills, size and speed I could see him as a DP in MLS after another year playing CB at Ohio State, he obviously still needs to learn the centerback positioning better but he reads the game fairly well.

10. VivaLesBleues

VivaLesBleues New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Danny Miller played solid as the Duke rightback. He did not seem to have any lapses and played well. The only thing to worry about from a defensive standpoint from Duke is their backs pulling their offside trap and getting pulled up too forward. All 3 backs are cohesive as a unit but at times there were chances that the opposing offensive players could make runs behind due to the defense being pulled up too far. Its a risky maneuver but it seemed to work yesterday as OSU had about 6 offsides and the Duke backs definitely make the Assistant Referee earn his money.

11. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Good to hear. Danny played at my high school. Has he been starting all year? Did he play well this year?

12. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    What? No respect for the Big 10 Coach-of-the-Year? How can it be? :rolleyes:

13. Nanananooooonan

Nanananooooonan New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    He is a jerk...plain and simple.

14. Rocky Colorado

Aug 13, 2004
    Hillsborough, CA
    Ohio State is the first school in NCAA history to have both its women's team in the quarterfinals and its men's team in the third round on the same weekend and be eliminated on shutouts.

15. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Is that good or bad?

16. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    I second that notion, he may be the most clueless coach in the nation let alone the Big Ten. No wonder his teams play kick and chase

17. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO

Why in the world did I get my wrist slapped, and then no resulting answers, when I asked why the man was handcuffing Withers by playing him in a wide position?

18. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Maybe it sounded like it was too "pro" Ohio State. The Buckeyes hang out over on the MLS/Columbus Crew thread.