DUH new study says 95% of americans had premarital sex

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dolemite, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
  2. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    There have been vast racts of history in which abstinance wasnt considered a virtue or a norm.

All of this is just Victorian boo-boo-Jee-Bee.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key point, IMHO:

"Finer said the likelihood of Americans having sex before marriage has remained stable since the 1950s, though people now wait longer to get married and thus are sexually active as singles for extensive periods."

So all this supposed decline in values and morals boils down to this--people are single longer.

I'd like to think this might shut a few pompous Puritans up. But I doubt it. I smell stern lectures on what a country of moral degenerates we are. :rolleyes:

4. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
  5. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And at the other end of the spectrum, many theorize the increasing rates of divorce can be tied to the hightening life expectancy. Couples have to put up with each other for 30 years longer than they use to.

6. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a very possible reason, if not one of the major in my book.

7. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More likely, just ugly.

8. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny. I read this in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/19/AR2006121901274.html

Oh. I see the difference. The Post figure leaves out 44-year-old virgins.

Wasn't that a movie with Steve Carrell?

9. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Yeah, I was thinking 95% is kind of low.

10. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. If 95% of the country did something you fundamentally disagreed with, you'd take a different tone. When you're fine with the world, it all seems natural and inevitable. When you're not, you get all uppity and activist. You see this as a declaration of reality; others see it as a declaration of reality, a reality that needs to be changed.

Whatever.

11. p0rn0frea|<

p0rn0frea|< Member

Jul 5, 2005
    I don't doubt that Utah's contribution to the 5% asexual population is immense. So all is good.

12. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cute, but I wasn't reacting to the statistic (which is wholly unsurprising) but rather Dolemite's statement.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So you think, despite evidence to the contrary, that abstinence-only programs are a good idea?

I have no problem with individuals choosing to behave in one way. But why impose that behavior on others when it only works for a tiny segment of the population?

14. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    go ahead and try to change it. you can try to move a mountain as well if it makes you feel better. but please don't piss away government tax revenue on programs (ie abstinence ONLY sex education) that are destined to fail. that's all i'm saying.

15. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is there anything that 95% of Americans agree with? Any activity or philosophy or political position? I really don't think you will find any, except for having sex when the opportunity comes around and not waiting for marriage. Fighting against this isn't like trying to convince people of following a new political or science paradigm - it's trying to make people give up something that's just a little lower in importance than breathing. And any such attempt is absolutely doomed to failure in any free society.

16. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first lay was a Mormon girl...a very hot Mormon girl that brought a lot of experience to the table. Ah memories...

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine wasn't Mormon, but she was a preacher's daughter.

18. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bishop's daughter...'bout same thing.

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I'll bite - when was this, exactly?

20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    The brief reign of emperor caligula comes to mind. :D

This is another debate that is unfortunately colored by how polarized we are these days.

On the one side, people preach absolute abstinence and the statistics prove that this is folly and will only lead to bad decisions, preganancies and disease for those kids who start out with good intentions and get caught up in the "moment" in the back seat of a Prius (does a prius even have a back seat? In college, I had a 76 Impala with a back seat big enough to handle multiple parties :D ).

On the other side, as a parent, I have a hard time laying out a selection of french ticklers and "ribbed for your pleasure" protection and telling my kids to go to town.

What is wrong with teaching kids that they should make all of their decisions in advance when they are sober and rational, that abstinence is a great short term policy and that if they make a decision together with their girlfriend or boyfriend, then these are the things that you HAVE to do to keep yourselves safe and baby-free.

21. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Aren't Mormons the ones that are allowed to do whatever they want pre-marriage as long as it isn't with another Mormon, so they end up screwing "heathens" like rabbits and just don't have sex with another Mormon until marriage?? I think the Amish are like that too. I really should make a trip to Lancaster County one of these days.

As for the 5%, my guess is that they were technical virgins.

22. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    is it just me, or does anybody else think this study was a waste of our taxpayers money?

23. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not. Any lawmaker looking to back federally sponsored sex education & resources for such can use these numbers to prove their point.

24. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    It was conducted by a private think tank

25. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. I nailed Mormons, Athiests, Heathens, etc. all before I got married. They're pretty strict about no funny business before marriage regardless of your partner. It's what got me bounced out of the MTC, and all I did was get to second base after I got my "orders" and did the whole interview thing. I could have kept my mouth shut and completed a mission. But then I would have never been sent home early and run into my wife. How's that for serendipity. Oh, I nailed her before we got married, too.