Dude, Where's My Country? - The Interview

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    where's your country dude?

3. Have you looked behind your sofa?

4. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was a really good interview. Very interesting to listen to his acceptance speech six months later. When I first heard, I found it awkward and pretensious, and fully supported the spirit of his message. Listening again, I thought Mike Moore was spot-on and very brave.

Some people have tried to paint him as a nut-case. I think he has a point. He is an activist with an agenda, much like Bill O'Reilly. I'd love to see those two interview/debate each other.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He was booed by everyone in the place. Hardly the time or audience to get his "nut-case" message across.

I find it repugnant that he refers to "my" country. It's everybody's country, you fat fvck. You take the things you like with the things you don't. That's what democracy (what he's always yelling about) is all about.

6. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Did you listen to the interview?

7. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    Cascarino, you aren't saying that people shouldn't criticize the country, are you? It's important that we criticize those laws, institutions, practices and behaviors that we disagree with. Of course, some kinds of criticism are better than others. We should express our views, give reasons for them and dialogue with other people. That may help us make the country and world better.

8. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    You never saw the footage, did you?

1) He was given a STANDING OVATION as he made his way to the stage.
    2) When he started shouting, many hissess and boos could be heard, but they were very clearly coming from the upper tiers (hint: who sits in the back at the Oscars?). The stars and "talent" had just regained their seats from the standing O and were getting ready to listen to him, and mostly just sat with bemused/embarrassed smiles as he gave his ill-conceived and poorly delivered acceptance speech.

Bottom line, it was a clunker of a statement when he could have done something much more effective. But still, only 5-10% were booing.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    5-10% being your scientific survey i'm sure.

Everyone saw that disaster of a Michael Moore P.R. stunt because that's what it was. He made a bigger @ss out of himself than even I thought was possible. How anyone could take this tool & his propaganda films seriously is beyond me. He presents his biased garbage as fact (he conveniently cuts out significant parts he doesn't want his sycophantic audience from seeing) and Hollywood bought it. He's an entertainer, not a documentarian.

10. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I get the feeling you watch his films and view anything about him with as much bias as you claim he has.

11. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not sure CP has seen or heard anything by Michael Moore but maybe the Oscar's speech.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I've seen "Roger & Me" and "The Big One" and while he definitely has his own agenda, there were certainly funny moments in each. He's a clever filmmaker & prankster but people on here treat some of his opinions as gospel. He has certain populist viewpoints like big business is bad (unless they employ you of course) and the government never really has your best interests in mind. It's not really earth shattering stuff. Because he's one of the few well-known directors tackling these subjects, he's got a following. It's entertainment first & foremost. Some people IMO forget that.

13. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Damn that is one ugly host.

14. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Regular people?

15. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    he's a small business trying to sell his books. his point has become such a wash. if you listen to him he namedrops numbers sometimes.

i used to think he was great and mindopening. then i actually looked at some perspective. maybe it was after i watched him go to town on a aging man with alzheimers and practically declare self victory not through word but through film.

i've got alot of respect. :rolleyes: