Duane Holmes at Preston North End

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 27, 2012.

1. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights from yesterday's East Midlands derby:

Holmes has a long throw at 1:34 that bounces in the box and eventually leads to a blocked shot, a short pass to the overlapping left back at 2:28 who hits a cross that is deflected forcing a save from the Forest keeper, and in the chance that beings at 2:48 Holmes is open in the box for a square ball that is not played.

Derby are now in 7th, 3 points off of the last promotion playoff spot. This Wednesday at noon eastern they are away to 2nd place West Brom. That match will be on ESPN+.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and Winoman repped this.
  2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets another start today. This one is on ESPN+ again... Hopefully he plays a bit better than he has since the restart.

freisland and Winoman repped this.
  3. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Duane removed before halftime. He was really poor, and deserved to get yanked. I rate man, but he’s not fit or in form right now.

4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was really rough from Holmes and he has been poor since the restart. There is no sugarcoating it.

It’s a huge bummer for me to write that

5. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Completely fair. That was my first opportunity to see him since the restart. Wow. Really hard to watch.

Gacm32 repped this.
  6. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    What happened. I saw him make a nice run in the first few minutes, including a shot (that he was a bit slow in taking), then I turned it off.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's not been the same since his ankle injury.

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Birds gotta swim, fish gotta eat, journalists have to pan bad outings. Life. I'm glad we have one that will write the truth. By the way I'm loving the regular "The Football Show" segments. Great job!

9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure if that is the reason but he was in very good form for a decent period of time leading up to the injury and he has been quite poor since the restart. He doesn't really look slow... like he has a nagging injury. It actually looks like a mental thing to me. He just isn't showing that fiery determination that I have seen from him so often. That fire showed a ton when he played CDM and then translated to the wing later in the season. This performance was even worse than the others I have seen since the restart. No penetrating runs... epic fail on a great chance/cross in the box and several poor giveaways. Not sure what is going on but his worth to the USMNT is dropping in my eyes right now. The guy needs to wake up... perhaps getting pulled in the 1st half will light a fire under his ***.?.?

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Actually, I didn't mean the ankle injury was the reason. Only that he's not looked the same since he returned from it.

Note that Derby was having a poor season until February. Last season they were better, and Duane too. This season, they started looking ordinary.

So what might have happened is that while others upped their game in February (when our guy was injured), he didn't, and he's returned in January mode.

11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FotMob says the sub was due to injury. Did it look like that was the case to those who watched?

12. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Just saw via Twitter that he was taken out due to a hamstring injury.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and Gacm32 repped this.
  13. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    "A bit slow in taking" is a good way to capture the performance overall. He seemed like he was missing something in general (might have been the injury). Poor passes runs were mis-timed, etc.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Out today with a hamstring injury. It was a late call, so it's unlikely to be too serious.

1281913665780879361 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Still out.

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  16. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Back in action for Derby County. Starting today vs. Sheffield United.

gunnerfan7, edcrocker, CZM4 and 5 others repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lost 2-0.

glutton4Bolts and Winoman repped this.
  18. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks BR. It was a pretty long interview and it was the 1st time I have actually heard him speak. I had to look up his wiki to find out how long he has been in England (since he was 4) because he certainly doesn't sound like he is from the US. #1 priority is to stay fit for a whole season... From his lips to God's ears... for him and others like CP, Adams, Weston etc....

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI... Looks like ESPN+ has chosen to air the Derby/Barrow League Cup game early Sat (4AM PST).

mace and autobus39 repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks to be a reinjury of the same thigh that kept him out the end of last season

tomásbernal and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He is the English Taitague...sucks

23. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1302241190641885185 is not a valid tweet id

24. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man it sucks he can’t stay healthy. He’s the kind of utility player that would be great in our 23. Either as a backup to Mckennie or as a hard working more defensive RW.