Duane Holmes at Preston North End

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 27, 2012.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neems repped this.
  2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holmes had a great game today... he was involved in both of Derby's goals... Providing the key pass that started the play. He was fantastic with the ball and played well defensively... especially considering they were down a man for 75 minutes due to a red card. Only bummer was near the end when they had a 4 on 1 break away and the 18 year old debut Knight was sitting on a brace and decided to shoot it instead of hitting a wide-open Holmes. This guy deserves a look w/ the USMNT. He is very crafty.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    bummer seems like ESPN+ app isn't working for me. tried other match and got nothing, same with replays

5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear it didn't work for you... I often have issues with NBC Gold... but ESPN+ has been pretty solid for me. At any rate... another good game for Holmes. Perhaps not as complete as his game against Charlton... but he had several very good dribbles and passes. One of his best plays was a brilliant thru ball to Marriott that left him one-on-one with the keeper w/ a ton of space... it should have been a tap-in and assist for Holmes... but Jack shanked it left. Marriott did end up getting a goal last night but he could have had 5... not very clinical.

At any rate, Duane played the full 90 again and looks consistently like one of Derby's best players.... but like many USMNT players (hopefuls included)... he is pretty poor at shooting... In short, I would expect him to have more assists going forward w/ the emergence of Knight and Rooney being added to the squad... but I don't think he is going to be a serious goal threat.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Holmes has all the hallmarks of a decent Championship player. I expect him to be in mid-table clubs there for a long, long time.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good win for Derby County today. Holmes was brought on to hold the lead in the 72nd minute and he had several nice plays. He is a good player... after watching him more closely recently I am left scratching my head as to why he doesn't have good goal/assist numbers. He looks like a difference-maker... but the numbers just don't reflect it. Hoping that changes during the 2nd half of the season... he is firmly entrenched in the lineup so he is going to get his opportunities.

10. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I predict he and Rooney team up in the second half of the season and he will have a goal or an assist.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and mace repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Duane ties it in the last minute!!!

Derby were losing 2-1 at Boro and Holmes tied it in the 91'.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal:

1216041315617644544 is not a valid tweet id

14. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    my word, heck of a strike

superdave and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Longer, cleaner video:

1216053624796844033 is not a valid tweet id

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Helluva strike!! The ability to hit that low and hard on one touch from that height.....outstanding. It doesn’t get any better than that. Player’s eyes get so big and that ball often ends up in Row Z.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the 1st youtube highlight I could find... unfortunately it cuts out right after Holmes slams it home so you don't see the celebration.

Holmes is pretty good at these types of volleys... I saw him hit one on the button at the keeper a few games ago. WTG Holmes! GB needs to pay attention. Could have had an assist earlier in the video too.

Trying really hard to find a full match replay... I really want to see the game.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  18. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great strike but opposing coach has to be furious that on a ball that high in the air, nobody got their butt in front of Holmes. Not trying to take anything away from Holmes, just the defender in me talking.

20. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been following Duane for what seems like years now and he’s still so young. It’s time for him to get CONSISTENT call-ups to USMNT. He plays every game for Derby, and mostly starts (now next to Mr. Rooney). He’s worked hard, found his place, is contributing towards his club’s promotion fight and now deserves frequent looks in US camps!! Go Holmes!!

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  21. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did a great job to not hit that too hard and just kind of place it low into the corner. He definitely deserved that goal given how hard he's worked and how much he's played for the team over the last few months

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Thank you Nostradamus!! :D

23. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He did well to stay deep, lurking, when the ball did come to him he had all kinds of space.

24. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think you misunderstood. Rooney would score on an assist from Holmes or vice versa.