Dual nationals who could suit up for the US.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Careful. Might hurt to many feelings with that one.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a princess. This is senior level international soccer. There are no charity selections...especially for a number three goalkeeper (who was really selected out of charity). The idea was for him to sit no matter what happened. He was there to observe and be part of the team. I’m all for reaching out to these dual nationals to get them to play for us. I’m against pandering. Ochoa wanted to be pandered to. Honestly, he was about as deserving of his call up as John Pulskamp is of his. Is anyone going to be upset if Pulskamp doesn’t play against Bosnia?

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just what the doctor ordered:

Eleven Bravo, Winoman and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    excellent. Not like many of our forwards are lighting the world on fire. He hits some goals, he’s instantly In the conversation. I like the St Etienne link a little while ago, they need goals, they need help immediately, they’re in the relation zone, but they are by no means a hopeless Norwich

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The lack of a 2021 U17 cycle has meant folks don't know some of our best Europe-based youngsters. French-American dual-nat Auvray produces some wicked highlights throughout the year. Here he is yesterday in the U19 Champions League for Lille.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #2132 Clint Eastwood, Dec 11, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    For those that haven't seen this elsewhere, it looks like Jeremy Ebobisse is going to switch to Cameroon. This is just the preliminary roster, so we'll see if he's actually named. As he played with the U20s in cap-tying matches, he'll have to file a one-time switch.

He's a good player, and we want to keep as many players in the pool as possible, but the decision is understandable.

IndividualEleven and edcrocker repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    xbhaskarx and superdave repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  11. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RossD, Deadtigers and xbhaskarx repped this.
  12. calebgilk

calebgilk New Member

Arsenal
    Italy
    Oct 18, 2021
    let's bet)

Wolbachia repped this.
  13. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Balogun is an interesting and obviously very talented player. But, I did see his two games for the first team at Arsenal and he honestly looked nowhere near ready for the top level. He was a complete non-entity. That was earlier in the year and he's young and improving rapidly, but he may need more time to get it together to be a real contributor at a high level. He will be interesting to watch if he does decide to represent the US, but I would expect him to most likely be one for 2026. Of course, I'd love for him to go on loan in January, tear it up somewhere and throw in for the US team. Just not sure I'd bet on all that happening super fast. A January loan would go a long way to answering the many questions about him.

edcrocker and largegarlic repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm seeing reports that Poland is considering the idea of hosting a national team camp in the US in early 2022, solely for the possibility of evaluating US-based players and recruiting any potential dual nationals.

16. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the Sloninas are there any other major ones based in the US?

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not really. But there have been in the past. Famously........................they recruited Szetela and Miazga.

From what I read, they're considering YOUTH national team camps in the US for eligible players. Lots of other nations already do this. El Salvador just did it, and they were hosted by LAFC. The Salvadorans were able to conduct a camp with mostly players from the LAFC and LAG academies with some others thrown in. Mexico already has done this, and I'm sure others will follow suit. What's the risk? Nothing.

And let's not forget that pre-COVID, we used to have youth national team camps in Germany and invite eligible players. Those are the first camps that players such as Julian Green and John Anthony Brooks went to with us. So we've done it too.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poland could also have gone after Lletgett and Lichaj, but I think the question is if there are *enough* Poland-eligible players in the US & Canada to warrant having a camp. There isn't a FIFA window in April, so getting even Slonina is an iffy proposition.

gomichigan24 and largegarlic repped this.
  19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    And Poland is a pretty good team too. For a country like El Salvador, there's some value to picking up fringe MLSers--that still improves their pool. I don't think players at that level are going to help Poland.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    El Salvador also has Hugo Perez, who fully understands the youth player landscape in the US. He understands how to go about finding the players and getting in touch with them. Something that might be more difficult for nations without that connection.

Are there enough players in the states for a nation like Poland to have a youth camp? Sure. Of course. How many are legitimate prospects? Maybe one or two. But what's the risk for Poland? Nothing. Even just having the camp and starting to forge connections with clubs in the states can have positive impact.

As USMNT/USYNT fans we can only ask that our program do its best to retain the "best" players like Slonina. The rest of CONCACAF in particular will peel off players in that next tier. And once in a while we have to expect to get our scouting wrong too. In the same way that Holland wasn't interested in Sergino Dest until after we'd already forged a relationship with him.

Winoman repped this.
  21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Pretty much this. The USA is now in the mid-tier. They can lure away good players connected to smaller mid-tiers like with Musah and Ghana and then hope to get guys like ARob who a surplus to requirements for a top tier nation. So El Salvador will pick a bunch and occasionally we will get it wrong and let a 2 (out of 5) star recruit go and they move on to become a big time player.

22. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Hugo Perez prefers skills over physicals. He coached young Pulisic in youth teams who may not get chances with someone else.

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    What?

superdave repped this.
  24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Ed Zachary!!

25. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Don’t be giving Hugo that much credit:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...s/soccer/usmnt-el-salvador-world-cup.amp.html