Dual nationals who could suit up for the US.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Oct 26, 2018.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean he’s 23 year old and has a prolific scoring record with his club. He’s also been injured for much of this season and he may also still have a move to Europe in him. He’s not in the picture this summer but that doesn’t mean his national team career is completely finished.

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  2. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think he has a shot at ‘26? I do not. Though I believe Bravo said he could be in the mix with a change of position. That’s possible but not likely imo.

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think it’s feasible he could make the 2026 roster.

Yowza repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When you recruit a player for your U20s, and then realize he can't play for your U20s. LOL! He's cap-tied at that level to the US.

majspike, Namdynamo, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, as a reminder.................the US recruits dual-nats all the time. We give as good as we receive.

Fidel Barajas of RSL switching from Mexico to the US is a rumor all over the twitterverse right now. Left off of that Mexico U20 roster for the CONCACAF Championships. The one above that Vargas was also left off of.

Three US-eligible players remain on that roster. Tellez spent time at the Galaxy academy. Villal spent time at Atlanta United.

Emi Ochoa (San Jose Earthquakes)-GK
    Brandon Tellez (Chivas)-DM/CM
    Jonny Villal (San Luis)-AM/Wing

6. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is shrugging it off?

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait we are losing Luna? Okay now it’s concerning

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No actual evidence yet we've lost Luna or Esmir.

At the youth levels, the Mexico and US players just go back and forth. Its never-ending. Folks on this USMNT board only take notice from time to time. Vargas is a loss, but lest we forget..............we just recruited Johnny, Maloney, etc. Johnny in La Liga now, and Maloney in the Bundesliga. Meanwhile its unclear Vargas is even the best Mexican-American dual-nat central midfielder in Seattle. Cuz Atencio is having a nice year. The dual-national musical chairs go round and round, but when the music stops the USMNT does extremely well overall.

9. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s easy. The program has gotten so good at development that Mexico is taking our sloppy seconds. And possibly the Bosnian adult team is taking our (very) young players who aren’t good enough for the Olympics this year.

I have a suggestion…anybody who bitches about a player switching because he isn’t going to Paris has to say who he’d leave out to make a place for Vargas/Luna/Esmir/etx.

Every damn one of these cases is that meme with the guy having to choose between two buttons. Esmir, Luna, Paredes, you cant take them all.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looking at it from a upside, and purely upside angle, assuming everything goes right. I think Esmir could go over parades. But that’s a gamble straight up. Would he be an improvement over paredes now? Nope

11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We seem in fact to be poaching a winger in Barajas.

12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question in that case is more whether Parades should have gone to the Copa America where he wouldn’t play much but has an argument to be one of our top 26 players, which then opens up a spot for Esmir.

But there was very clearly a global decision to take U23s to the Olympics who could have been on the Copa roster but wouldn’t have played much (players like Parades, Slonina, Reynolds, and Tessmann).

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    ---------------------McGuire/Cowell---------
    --------Paredes/Yow-----Luna------Esmir/Booth----
    ------------Tessmann-----Bassett/Morris
    ---Tolkin----------------------------------Harriel/Reynolds---
    -----------Zimmerman-------Neal/Atencio----
    ---------------------Schulte/Slonina

14. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s just capping dual Nats, not trying to win the damn thing. Where’s Reyna. For that matter, there’s only one overage player, right? Zimmerman? So that’s two guys on your list you can’t call in, 3 if you count Reyna, and then there’s Aaronson, Musah, and others.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #5815 Clint Eastwood, Jun 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    We have to be circumspect about this.

The US program does extremely well with dual-nationals. And the dual-nationals we recruit are almost always better than the dual-nationals that we lose. We come out on top almost every time.

So yes, we lost Obed Vargas.

1-2 years ago everyone was upset that we seemingly weren't interested in Amir Richardson for the midfield. That we were losing him to Morocco. A good prospect, but what did he do this year in France?

People do know how good Johnny Cardoso is? Right? He's really starting to come along well. He's also Olympics eligible and is seemingly the dual-national we prioritized in the midfield a long time ago. Musah is Olympics eligible. We started recruiting him when he was 17. Heck, we recruited Maloney out of Germany. He's the #8/CB on the team that finished 8th in the Bundesliga. Can't make our Copa America roster, and people are spending time being worried about Obed Vargas???

So yes, its possible we'll lose Esmir to Bosnia. That was always the case. People do know that we recruited Malik Tillman from Germany. Right? The 22 year old that just had 24 goal contributions for one of the best teams in Eredevisie history. And he can't make our starting XI right now. That's because our attacking midfield starters are Pulisic, Reyna, and Weah. We literally have the son of the former Liberian president on our right wing.

We have scouts. We have coaches. We have actual experts who are making these decisions about which players to prioritize. We're not going to get it right 100% of the time. And of course we wanted to retain players like Vargas in the system. Why wouldn't we? But we have to be circumspect about it.

This is just the way the world operates. 20 out of 26 players on the France team at the Euros are dual-nationals eligible to play for other nations. They lose an enormous amount of dual-nationals too. They try to keep the ones they think are the best, and just have to accept other nations will peel off the others. And they won't get it right 100% of the time.

TrueCrew, IHSSOC and edcrocker repped this.
  16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let’s remember that Vargas, Buck, and Esmir are next generation dual nationals.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'm not aware of Reyna, Brenden Aaronson, or Musah also playing in the Olympics. You bring in overage players as needed.

18. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Cole Campbell wants to know what it will take to get a mention.

Sitter repped this.
  19. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    btw the current U20 group is littered with dual nats. We them for granted cuz they seem committed to the program. Just to toss out some names: Kochen, Banks, Figueroa, Medina, Harangi, Akinmboni, Campbell, Fletcher, Soma.

+Barajas imminently

gomichigan24 repped this.
  20. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think it's fine to be upset about losing players like Obed and Esmir, but people acting like we are losing out on dual nat after dual nat gotta pump the breaks.

Hell nobody is talking about how Damion Downs is the most recent in lines of German Americans who was rewarded with a call up to the last u 23 camp and Germany is absolutely scouting him

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he meant Paxton Aaronson.

Reporters close to the team seem to think Reyna is going (plus Miles Robinson and Haji Wright as the other overage players).

superdave repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I don't think anyone is claiming the US is losing out on dual nat after dual nat. People need to pump the brakes on blowing stuff out of proportion. A couple players merited inclusion but didn't get it. That is all. No one is claiming the world is coming to an end.

23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Esmir does not merit inclusion in a first choice 18 man U23 roster based on his play. Neither do Buck or Vargas.

24. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s really a question of whether we want to try to out the best team on the field for the Olympics that we’re able to or if we want to use the tournament as a dual national recruiting exercise. Personally I prefer the former.

If we lose Esmir I’d be more disappointed for the U20 team (where Esmir, Buck, and Vargas all would have had big roles).

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I’m only peripherally paying attention and it feels like a big question on whether Luna will make it to the next level - but he feels like the kind of player we should be prioritizing because of his creative abilities. That doesn’t grow on trees. Perhaps not a massive loss if he chooses another path and I’m in the camp that wants people who want to be with us - but if it costs little to put a finger on the scale - I *might* favor (at the youth level) guys who have choices and are unusual.

edcrocker repped this.