Dual nationals who could suit up for the US.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Oct 26, 2018.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Gutierrez is literally directly quoted that he’s had no communication of any sort from FMF. So yes the YouTube guy is just making things up.

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Alternatively, the YouTube guy has his FMF sources and those sources are making things up to cover their butts. See: Zendejas Mexico callup.

Boysinblue, Winoman and gomichigan24 repped this.
  3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

4. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    Kaan İnanoğlu is an under-the-radar player. has 9 goals in 860 minutes in the U19 of Bundesliga u19. Do anyone know about him?

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Dual-national Nayrobi Vargas has left the FCD academy and is reportedly in Holland at the moment. He's been with Honduras U17s and is reportedly in their U20 squad for the U20 qualifiers that are beginning imminently. [There's a round of qualification that the US doesn't have to participate in.] Players like this have some really intriguing qualities, but we just don't have room for them in our program.

deejay repped this.
  6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

superdave and BostonRed repped this.
  7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

9. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Left back AND defensive mid!

Cap him now!

eliwood, Boysinblue, OWN(yewu)ED and 2 others repped this.
  10. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    Should the USMNT be calling players who were only born here or have never lived here?

11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The US national team should only be calling up people who are American citizens.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We've had plenty of guys who weren't born here and never lived here that have fought really hard for the program.
    Jermaine Jones just made some comments about this in an interview, and he's exhibit A.

Plenty of guys in the current USMNT fit that category. Sergino Dest, for instance.
    Antonee Robinson, Cameron Carter-Vickers. Kristoffer Lund. The list goes on and on.

So you call them up, hopefully at the youth levels first, and gauge their motivations.
    If everything seems great, then nobody should have any problem.

edcrocker, Boysinblue, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or very soon to be US citizens.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #5439 Clint Eastwood, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    Indeed. There's no litmus test for "citizen-ness."
    There are no levels. You are or you aren't.

We've had guys who gained citizenship late and have subsequently fought hard for the jersey and the program.

Jesus Ferreira, for instance. We called him up to USYNT camps before he got his citizenship, just to participate behind the scenes.
    The federation had been in contact with him, gauging his interest, and working with him to get that citizenship.

Then he finally received that citizenship in December of 2019. We immediately brought him into January camp in 2020, and he made his USMNT senior debut in February 2020. [I think the point was to have citizenship in time for the 2020 Olympic qualifying campaign, but that was postponed due to COVID anyway.]

I suspect that the federation has a list of non-citizens in the US, particularly at the youth levels, that they're in contact with. Seeing what the citizenship timeline is and working with them to expedite it if they can. More is probably done in this regard than we realize.

[It is worth noting how long that citizenship process can take. Jesus Ferreira moved to the US in 2009 when his dad joined FCD. He didn't get citizenship until 2019, ten years later. And we've had cases like Andy Najar in which we were clearly talking to the player, but the timeline was too long.]

BostonRed and gomichigan24 repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ferreira's path was a bit weird because his parents were eligible earlier, but he had to wait until he turned 18 himself to apply directly.

gomichigan24 and Clint Eastwood repped this.
  16. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    I was mostly thinking about dual nats that the USA was not the first option. A player like Balogun.

17. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By "very soon" do you mean players who become US citizens after the call up but before the game they've been called up for? Or do you mean players who are called into camp but aren't on the game-day roster? FIFA won't let them play if they're not citizens at the time of the game.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug.
    Balogun was born in the US.

A very similar story to Musah. Heck, Musah was born in the US while his mother was on vacation here. [Convenient trip] Then almost immediately was raised in Italy. Moved to England at age 9, and started at Arsenal shortly thereafter. Has, as far as I can tell, absolutely minimal connection to the United States.

But does he fight for the team? Does he fight for the jersey? Does he seem well liked and supported by his teammates? Yes. It sure seems so from the outside.

So no problem. Love having Musah as part of the squad.

So far, so good with Balogun too. I don't see any reason to have a concern about his motivations.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  19. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just look at a guy like Maloney.

The guy probably would not make the team if The World Cup was tomorrow and everyone was healthy. If he does get called in, he's likely going to spend most of the window sitting on a bench against CONCACAF teams that are worse than the competition he gets on a regular basis at home.

He's perfectly free to spend his international breaks at home relaxing and instead hops on a plane half across the world for a pair of games against Trinidad and Tobago.

You're not doing that if your heart isn't in it

RossD, Winoman, HScoach13 and 3 others repped this.
  20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, evaluating dual nats, it is gauging the ratio of "talent" vs "if their heart is in it". We will always fight harder for a guy like Balogun, but when you get options like Lund and Maloney who are very clearly in it for the shirt, and very clearly in it for that reason, there is more incentive there.

End of Gregg's regime, however it goes, I will always look at getting not just Balo, but Lund in as his biggest success. An unheralded player in Serie B he brought in because he believed in him, and no doubt he has paid dividends significantly. That is something naturally everyone should have raised an eyebrow at, and rightfully so, but that is a "faith in the coach and scouting" move, and yeah.......absolute total credit to that one. I firmly believe he is our proper number two left back right now, and it took a bit of faith to get him there.

Hopefully we can find another couple of players on that level.

Sebsasour and RossD repped this.
  21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive been high on the kid, and it is bewildering that the Klinsinistas have been weirdly shooting him down because he might not be.......Tim Chandler (weird flex I know). Left back/6. Let the kid cook......thats a valuable depth option. Lets see what hes got

RossD repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would never advocate breaking any of FIFA eligibility rules. Of course, I'm talking about calling (not really "calling up" unless they'd like to come into camp for a look-see) players who are on the path to US citizenship. We've done that with a lot of players (mostly youth players who were on the path to a US passport), though we've had some hiccups along the way.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  23. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be noted too that Timmy Chandler is hugely regarded at his club and already has a post-playing job lined up with them. Clearly he can be an asset both on and off the field, just wasn't such for us

Winoman repped this.
  24. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    I am down to calling up any player who could help the USMNT.
    We all know players that the USMNT was not their first choice.
    I am not making things up but I have heard of players who have treated the USMNT like a club. Do you not think this is bad?

25. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    How about Johnny Soccer? Berhalter was on a Reddit AMA early in his tenure and name-dropped him. First few years (and a number of underwhelming performances), it looked like a bad choice. But what he's been able to do at Real Betis so far...we just might have a damn player on our hands.

Zinkoff and deejay repped this.