Dual nationals who could suit up for the US.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Oct 26, 2018.

1. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's not a Mexico thing. The US is unique that they have an advantage in immigration and military bases/influences across the world. The US will eventually have a problem losing good players to other teams. Most central americans will also receive a huge boost in talent recruiting players from the US.

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he and his agent don't know the rules either, because the way they were talking about it in the article, it was something that was very feasible.

Someone needs to inform these dual nats to not accept call-ups for official matches unless it's a big comp and/or they're ready to commit to that country.

This switch at 21/3 year rule are for players who the country cap-tied and then just stashed away. It's not so much for players who just made rash decisions as kids or wanted the full experiment.

3. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also so many soccer players around the world have 3 or 4 nationalities that makes it almost impossible for nations to keep all there best players

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #5054 Clint Eastwood, Oct 3, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    We already have that problem.

And yes, when you look at the CONCACAF U17 and U20 Championships...........................there are a ton of US-based players on other squads. El Salvador had 11 at the recent U17 CONCACAF Championships.

The best players on that Dominican Republic team that did so well at the CONCACAF U20 Championships were US-based. Azcona of Inter Miami, for instance. There were US-based players on Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba (!!), Haiti, St. Kitts & Nevis, Guatemala, T&T, El Salvador, Antigua & Barbuda, Costa Rica, and of course Puerto Rico. That kid Arqimides Ordonez of Guatemala that scored against Mexico in the quarterfinal was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. [That's one way for the US to knock out Mexico. :) Have Americans take you out before we have to face you.]

That's all fine. The US won the event. We don't need Ordonez. He's older than Ricardo Pepi (speaking of a dual-national).

This isn't something for the US to be worried about. A rising tide is going to life all boats.
    France loses an enormous amount of talent (including to the US with a player like Tim Weah).
    They just keep rolling players off their assembly line and do their best to take those they believe have the highest ceilings. They won't get their scouting and player evaluation right all the time. There might be a player that ends up on Algeria, etc. that could have been good enough for France. Same happens to most European nationals. Spain? People can make a long list. Hakimi of PSG and Morocco was born in Spain. Joined the Real Madrid academy at 8 years old. Did he ever end up being good enough that he could have gotten caps for Spain? Of course!! But they just keep rolling.

We really can only do so much with dual-nationals that are born and raised in Europe. Noel Buck, who we really shouldn't lose, is very different than a guy like Amir Richardson. Amir was born and raised in France by his Moroccan mother. We recruit players like that all the time, but that's difficult. If his preference is France or Morocco, then there's nothing to be done.

Who is the best foreign-born dual-national to represent Mexico? Sinha? I really liked him.

superdave, Namdynamo and DGreat repped this.
  5. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    USSF's goal should be to win the best Daul Nats. Like Fidel Barajas from Mexico, I can't remember one good CB for Canada, Jonathan Cante for Guatemala. MLS will help those countries but we should be winning the best players.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We can't win them all. There are only so many opportunities. With all the players people on these boards name, you'd think there are 50 spots on a U20WC team.

By the way, we won the 2023 CONCACAF U20 Championships, won our group at the World Cup, and were knocked out by eventual champions Uruguay in the quarterfinals. Ya know? We did great with the guys Varas did pick.

Mexican-Americans are a whole different category of dual-national. We do our best. We'll win some and lose some. There are bunch like Araujo that say their "heart is with Mexico." Others like Pepi say their "heart is with the US." There's nothing we can do about that other than try.

There was a period in US youth national teams when we were calling up a lot of dual-nationals based at Mexican club teams. That has completely dried up. Like.........completely. I'm not positive I know why.

IndividualEleven and DGreat repped this.
  7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sinha is the *only* Mexican dual nat that did well in modern time. That's probably only because he had a Preki like career in LMX.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Depends on your definition of dual-national. In terms of foreign-born, it could be Sinha.

There are a bunch of Mexico national team players that were eligible for other nations.

Nery Castillo was the much-coveted quadrouple national. Eligible for Mexico, Uruguay, Greece, and Italy.

He was called up to Uruguay youth teams, and the Greece senior team was recruiting him hard. Ultimately, he picked Mexico. Had a better club career than Mexico career.

9. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    That's going to happen to Mexico with third and fourth-generation Mexicans.

10. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nery was just unfortunately affected by life. He's going to always a what if based on the performance he delivered for Mexico in Copa America.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #5061 Clint Eastwood, Oct 4, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
    I really liked prime Nery Castillo.

I just think its odd when people say Mexico doesn't recruit dual-nationals. Of course they do. Their diaspora around the world is just different than ours. They're recruiting dual-nationals hard in the US. Nery Castillo is a perfect example of a dual-national that they recruited. He was sorta a Yunus Musah or Folarin Balogun type. A kid born in Mexico, left as a small child, and raised elsewhere.

THere's also this false narrative that Mexico fans don't want dual-nationals on their team. My Mexican friends seem fine with players like Araujo on their team. They don't seem to like naturalized players all that much. Players who aren't Mexican, but get citizenship later. I mean, they hated Leandro Augusto. Funes Mori gets a lot of abuse from them. That's just my friends. I don't want to generalize...............

The US is just different with regards to its domestic pool and pool around the world. A huge percentage of the USMNT is made of dual-nationals. We have a different vantage point with regards to dual-nationals than many nations. France is like that, actually. You can run thru the squad and see all the dual-nationals. Mostly eligible for other African nations. A lot of France players are/were even eligible to be CONCACAF players too. :) Thierry Henry. His father was from Guadeloupe and his mother was from Martinique. Kind of a different deal because those nations are part of France. Even closer to France than Puerto Rico is to the US. True nonetheless..................

DGreat and Winoman repped this.
  12. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I mean -- that's what this nation is! I read a Forbes (yes, I know) article sometime last year asserting that 40% of Americans are eligible for multiple passports. I'm no different. I have a Norwegian passport, and my children have both US and UK passports. So it makes sense that our national team pool in the world's game would be mostly dual (and multi!) nats.

RossD and deejay repped this.
  13. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    I don't think the issue is dual nats. There are many Mexican-Americans who don't mind that there is a player like Araujo in the FMF.
    Issue is outside of the USA.
    Issue starts when that players doesn't come from Liga MX. Players like Obed Vargas or Álex Padilla. Therr have been many problem with making fun, calling them fake Mexican, etc...

[​IMG]

Filters and Topics

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Gregg Saban working his magic on Luca Koleosho.
    The game of spinning plates with dual-nationals never ends. It looks like Amir Richardson has made his choice for Morrocco, and that's his choice (he's in their senior squad for the AFCON qualifiers this window)..............but I'm more positive about Koleosho these days. We don't know what the player feels in his heart. This might be a little bit of a longer-term Balogun-style recruitment. We're there, though.

'I've had conversations' - Gregg Berhalter confirms USMNT are considering calling up Burnley's Luca Koleosho, who is also eligible for Canada and Nigeria | Goal.com US

largegarlic and Winoman repped this.
  15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds strange to acknowledge, but we should be mindful of the fact that this will be the last WC cycle that Pulisic will be in his 20s. We should already be sizing up the next guy when it’s ultimately Pulisic’s time to step down…which I hope that doesn’t have to happen for a long time.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think recruitment is also going to be tougher and will depend on the strength of the prospect. A player may say, "If I come in, I'm going to be a backup of a young player like me. I may not break into the starting lineup for years".

17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Maybe Pulisic will be ageless like Robben.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  18. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The problem with that idea is the player has to go along with it. What dual nat is going to wait 5-8 years to get his shot? Professional careers rarely last more than 5 years. Kids want to play now. It seems what you are saying is exactly how England was treating Flo. Which is the big reason we got him.
    I want to be in a position where we are losing more duals than we are getting. Because that would mean they don't see how they would break into the team and are going somewhere else.
    We talk a lot about this but in reality, there are very few national team slots to hand out. How many players will be involved in U20, U23, and full teams this year? Maybe 100? We won't be able to call in all the players we'd like. That's reality.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  19. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence

20. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Bummer with Buck. I do think it was mishandled, at least superficially. Should've been called up to the U20's or at least looked at, but he was a fast riser this year, which is my way of giving the Mikey a bit of a mulligan on that. I don't know why he wasn't looked at with the Gold Cup unless he said no (was also hurt around then, so maybe that was it?).

But I also think he's nuts. Trying to break through with England? The team that basically whatev'd Yunus Musah, Flo, and countless other guys like Fikayo Tomori, is suddenly gonna make room for Buck? Okay.

It's possible though. Just wish we'd been a bit more on it with that guy, particularly considering his HC was a guy who'd coached the national team 9 freaking years (even if he isn't half the dual nat recruiter Egg is, he's definitely old school).

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not ideal that Buck is going to be provisionally cap tied, but it’s still more likely then not that he ultimately plays for the USMNT.

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a revenge call up for England. And Buck is dumb enough to go along with it.

23. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    You nailed it.

I'm sure theres also a bit of a wake up call for them after the World Cup. We outplayed them pretty demonstratively.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Guys like Musah and Balogun were not the best English prospects for their age groups. Good luck to Buck.

Namdynamo and superdave repped this.
  25. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Sure, but the best prospects arent the top pros.