Dual nationals who could suit up for the US.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Oct 26, 2018.

1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    The sense I get is that El Tri fully expected and viewed them as theirs and it was a formality, probably but not necessarily based on choices and things said, then this thing blows up on Mexico because of some incredible foolishness w/regards to not getting a 1 time switch in place, and he won't go along w/what they want, and he comes to us, but then he still is open to them? Be honest man, it's bizarre and utterly confusing.

I think there's one simple answer, and its probably, he was in Mexico playing, considered himself a Mexican international at that point, maybe, but it didnt matter because he was a nobody 2016-2019, then he suddenly is relevant when he breaks out during the past 3 seasons, and as a result, won't sign away his US eligibility because as you say, why close doors, but the consequences of that for El tri were pretty damn serious, if he's going to go through all this, why still be open to El Tri after all that? They probably aren't open to him anymore unless he's a no doubt about it stud etc. I imagine the fed is pissed off by getting punished, and by finding out he wasn't in the bag like they thought. The simplest way to handle this, was do none of that and file the switch, or reject all of that and stick w/us, still being open to El Tri seems self-defeating to me when put in the context of what happened this past year.

2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think part of it right now is that neither Mexico nor the US has a coach. Even if he were leaning US, you don't know who the coach will be or how that person thinks you fit into the national team. It's hard to commit your future under those circumstances.

Similarly we don't have any idea as to how the next Mexico coach will see Zendajas and whether that person will want to have him with Mexico.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know. We heard that Berhalter was talking to him last year prior to all of this with the FMF blowing up. That was 4 months ago. Its possible the USSF was talking to him longer ago than that. [I mean.............in 2020 we were calling up fringier players in both Europe and the US than Zendejas.]

It sounds as simple as Mexico was trying to get him to file a one-time switch this past fall, which would have permanently cap-tied him. Zendejas didn't want to commit to that yet. He was keeping options open.

I mean, as it turns out................the consequences to Mexico for "illegally" fielding Zendejas were almost nothing. Forfeiting friendly results!! Oh no!!! And a slap on the wrist in terms of a fine.

4. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Yep, and that's relevant. I just kinda wish the March camp, w/the regulars was his first example of our setting. Cupcake's are an entity of their own, camps typically only similar to off cycle Gold Cups so to me or other cupcakes, not representative of the chemistry or climate or personalities that shape the room.

But yeah, the general instability with both feds is definitely a thing right now.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously it'd be better if he could come into camp with his old teammates Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Wright, and LDLT. He did say he had spoken to Pulisic in particular about coming in for this camp.

I think it's good we have him for this camp and hopefully both he and Vazquez are willing to accept call ups in March (which would be permanently cap tying for both).

6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cross the Rio Grande and you will find
    An old adobe house, where you leave your past behind.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect to see more of this type of division about Zendejas' future with El Tri:

They have tended to hold a grudge, though much will depend upon the new coach.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like a foreign coach would be more open to bringing him in, whereas a domestic manager is more likely to carry over a grudge. Mexico definitely could use Zendjas though.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

edcrocker repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well, this would be a...............development:

11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona though is unlikely to be able to sign anyone at all. They are something like 200 million Euros short of being able to register anyone. And La Liga cracked down on the “levers” they were using to try and make the numbers work in the summer.

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Dest. I thought he was going back to Barca at the end of the season.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He is, but I don't think Barca want him. They'll sell him.

...........Barca is weird. They're broke, but spend money like drunken sailors.
    At some point all they'll be able to afford.............is Julian Araujo.

One way to look at it is, Araujo's Euro move would be yet another feather in the cap of domestic and MLS development programs. Is he good enough for Barcelona? Hell no. But they need bench and Barca B players that cost nothing and they can pay nothing. Dest is too expensive.

Of course most of the big clubs in La Liga are in precarious financial waters. Valencia and Sevilla, being dragged into the relegation fight, are exhibits A and B.

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balogun will be the final test as to whether McKennie's friend "29" actually knows anything or is BSing...

[​IMG]

15. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Namdynamo, Kirium, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amir Richardson assist

17. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK

this is one more reason why I think the US needs to hire the right coach. Bring in a great coach with a resume and players like Balogun or others will be even more interested in joining the USA.

Not only that but it helps with all the players and creates excitement.

Obvious, I know.

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends. A big name foreign coach may not be interested in recruiting.

The one thing about Berhalter that you can’t say he was bad at was dual national recruiting.

TrustingtheProcess repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I put this in another thread, but lots of interesting dual-nationals in the CONCACAF U17 Championships team. Most notable is Keyrol Figueroa. He's the son of Honduras legend Maynor Figueroa. Santiago Morales of Inter Miami is the son of Argentine and former RSL legend Javier Morales.

Namdynamo, Winoman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notably Christian McFarlane is not on the roster despite being in camp previously. Speculation that he's holding out for England.

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still don't understand how Barcelona can register Araujo. Not that his salary or transfer fee is high because it's not, but they are very much in the hole according to La Liga regulations.

See for instance https://en.as.com/soccer/why-wont-laliga-allow-barcelona-to-sign-players-in-january-n/

It could just be that he's going to be registered with Barca B and it just doesn't matter, but is it really in Araujo's benefit to go to Barcelona just to be a B team player?

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3372 gomichigan24, Feb 1, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    Balogun hat trick today.

It's unfortunate that we are probably going to have to wait a bit on him, as he's getting to the point of being in contention for an England call up this year.

Winoman repped this.
  23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Balogun is now the top scorer in Ligue 1, by the way.

Namdynamo and gomichigan24 repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give this dude whatever it takes for him to commit lol