Dual nationals who could suit up for the US.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Oct 26, 2018.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #301 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    No.

What I am saying is that some posters have, and continue to wrongly apply article 6 Nationality entitling players to represent more than one association to certain players and wrongly conclude that they are ineligible to play for the nationality.

https://resources.fifa.com/image/up...gust-2019-en.pdf?cloudid=ggyamhxxv8jrdfbekrrm start at page 74

In FIFA parlance; A player can have multiple Nationality (US, Dutch, British, German, ...) and some nationalities can have multiple Association (US => USMNT, Puerto Rico, Guam, ...).

Dual nationals in FIFA terms are players who hold more than one Nationality! Technically if you hold say US and Dutch nationalities. you are initially eligible for the sum of the US + Dutch associations.

Article 6 comes into play if Dest wants to play for say Guam or Curacao.

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Eh well, nearly. It has been ruled to not apply to the Ireland FA because Ireland, technically, does not have multiple associations. The US does have multiple associations.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #303 juvechelsea, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Much was made of say Rossi leaving but he had a string of straight italys on his wikipedia ie Italy YNT on up to senior. I think the Subotics of the world are more complicated but our job is to pursue interest and integrate the willing ones. My beef is going to be inaction. But if we red carpet someone with a choice using the fast track to the senior NT at 18 that is about as good as we can do.

My concern with Dest is he seems overrated and also undecided -- at least at this point -- and with both a need for players ready to play games that count, and a list of U20s who we should cap tie, I am not sure he deserves the red carpet anymore. What tore it for me is making the "not sure" comments when he's coming off a practice field in this country preparing for our senior NT friendlies where he then played. I get youthful indecision prior to accepting an invitation but once in our camp it shouldn't be "well, technically I have options that I will soon explore." I thought he should have been sent home right there because we need to prepare for LoN and qualifying, not just provide campus visits where you get to play a noncommital soccer game or two to boot.

I'd spend my effort on Soto and Alvarez.

Re MLS, I think it would benefit USMNT if they rolled it back to USOC type rules, 5 foreign players, and maybe 2 foreign DP with one domestic. Right now 8 international slots means you can start a significant majority foreign team, and 3 DPs allows you to staff up most of an offense without using Americans. You can't staff up a NT very well from 3-5 players per team when many of them are just journeymen. It also makes it harder for younger players to bust down the door and transition from YNT to senior usefulness. People often blame the players for not turning out but we're making it harder to get across the bridge. You can sign MLS but what if the guy ahead of you is some $5m/year import. MLS used to be different but is now becoming more like signing in Germany or England. And it's always on you to make something of it, but some roster rules structures make that more likely than others.

If you have to sell it to MLS my argument would be that with a floundering NT pro soccer interest and attendance overall will drop over time. I think this shows up in the attendances of the weaker teams right now. The teams that spend and draw 50k are steady. The budget teams, it is hard to maintain interest in tiered opportunity, and you don't have some underlying baseline of "oooooooooooh soccer" that the NT helps create. Houston is down like 7k fans in a few years. Chicago is similar.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i'd toss in mendez with soto and alvarez. that shot, from a player who would be playing an advanced position, makes him tactically useful for distance shots and dead balls whether he is ready for 90 minutes of senior soccer or not. to me the US needs to focus more on performance, yeah, but also more on what tactical wrinkles bench players offer. technical, has a shot, tall, can dribble, can pass, can cross. not enough focus on what specific traits a sub offers and how they will combine to score a goal. often enough when GB puts on something like roldan and lovitz it feels more like he's destroying much chance of a goal. who does that on purpose.

but i digress. i just realized mendez technically could suit up for mexico and i think he's good enough to lock down.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green Cards are always gonna make it hard for there to be much impact. The more money MLS spends on foreign players, the easier it is to get them Green Cards.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i also think dest has answered some of the early questions on this thread where it was like "but he has a string of USAs on his resume, how is he really a dual national." in this climate take nothing for granted. "cuba" the good ones, even if just off the bench with the right margin.

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Mendez seems to ooze potential. His left foot is a rocket launcher. But, honest question, does he score? In the U-20's I saw him kick a lot of really hard shots that were saved. Does he have a track record of scoring?

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #308 juvechelsea, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    he had 8 goals 6 assists in 7 games in the Concacaf U20s, including 2 goals on Mexico U20 in the final.

questions might arise outside of that context as he only had assists in friendlies and U20 worlds, including assists on Nigeria and Qatar in the U20 worlds.

but as with the club snobbery problem my response to "can he do it" is stick them out there and see. maybe it's some stats inundation issue but these days it's like let's sort out in the abstract what someone offers and assume it. to me stats and scouting should be screening and identifying, then let their play on the field resolve the questions. i'd like to think he'd help on deadballs, free kicks, and maybe the odd 30 yard go. but to me the test of whether that proves true is games. i think half our problem these days is we take non-qualifers too seriously and it's like you have to earn your way on with proof positive and that favors age -- to almost stupid lengths (Bradley) -- over youth. because a 30 year old who may be falling apart has the bona fides the kid who is fit does not. whether erring for age this way is dumb, would be my question.

i mean, to me it's what does it really hurt for him to play cuba, or someone like that. he uses the game to prove if he has the goods. if he does he can then be rotated in. whereas done the other way it's like cuba is to serious to risk. they all become too serious to risk. it then becomes a you need job experience to get a job paradox. which to me is at least one logical explanation for how we still have some of the old team left over. if you ignore they are a shell of themselves, that shell proved their value. most of the kids on the team predate GB and thus have the bona fides he provides little opportunity to earn now. so it's a couple games for sargent, one for miles, a couple for dest, none for weah, 5 minutes for pomykal. trapp gets hours.

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I only asked if he has a track record of scoring.

Ya, as I've said, call up the duallies. If they play, great, continue to invest in them. If they "keep their options open," then we weigh our options. Do you give those opportunities to someone committed to the U.S.? Do you continue to court? Do you do both? (we'd love to call you in for the upcoming U-whatever matches, but you've said you're on the fence. We will continue to call you for captie-ing matches. When you're ready to show that you won't bail on us (e.g., when you're captied, we'll return to calling you up for any U-whatever tourney for which your a fit.)

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any ill will on players who are at the same level of the dualies who don't get called in and think the dualies are getting special attention or due they realize the situation and understand it's a temporary thing and eventually everyone will earn their place?

largegarlic repped this.
  11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    If you're asking me …. my suggestion is cold and blatant. Call duallies up for a captieng match of no consequence. The Nations League is really a gift in that regard. I don't know that any U.S. only's are going to be too upset that they didn't get called in for the Cuba/Canada matches. Once those matches are done, then everyone is on the same playing field.

12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the Straus "National Inquirer" piece from 2013, especially the section on the German Americans. Focus on the quotes on Jermaine Jones.

13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My God, you're still bitter about that well written and researched article, just because it correctly pointed out some painful (at least for you) truths about Jurgen...

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    As an aside, the U.S. has got to be the only place in the world where it's fans kvetch about "pressuring" a kid to commit to their NT.

Ned. has no qualms about selling Dest on making a one-time switch. Also, when they say "we also are not going for a moral appeal because of an alleged indebtedness to a country." They are going for a moral appeal because of an alleged indebtedness to a country.

There's a 16 year old kid at Barcelona. Eligible for Spain and Portugal (until ~10 days ago was also eligible for Guinea-Bissou). He has scored a 1st team goal for Barca. Here's what his Wiki article says: "with Diario AS reporting that the Spanish government has set its sights on granting Fati citizenship with a view to including him in the squad for the Under-17 World Cup in Brazil in October 2019. He is also reportedly eligible for a Portuguese passport through his grandparents' birth in colonial Portuguese Guinea.[18]

Fati was granted Spanish citizenship on 20 September 2019.[19][20] Therefore he had to declare the renunciation of his Bissau-Guinean citizenship.[21]"

So, the kid is still eligible for Spain and Portugal. Grumpy pundits were speculating that Spain was going to captie the guy ASAP so that "what happened to Ireland with Declan Bumblef*ck doesn't happen to Spain."

It's the real world. There is nothing wrong with offering our duellies captie-ing matches, for the sake of captie-ing them. If they decline, you know where they stand.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    "The Mexican federation also held a camp in Ontario, Calif. between Sept. 26 and 30 made up of 18 dual nationals born in 2004 chosen from around the United States, with the team facing off against an Alianza de Futbol scouting program's all-star side, which Perez coached."

We're idiots. I'd bet my house that the Fed has to sanction anything the MexFed does in the U.S. To allow this is insane.

Winoman repped this.
  16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

edcrocker, ChrisSSBB and Winoman repped this.
  17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
  18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #319 juvechelsea, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Re “dual jelly,” one suggestion I had for US’ last two games was rest the starters and play a deeply experimental Cuba lineup. If you run out 2 fairly distinct teams covering 30+ people, including duals but also domestic and foreign based prospects, people are too busy broadly getting caps to beef if some of them are younger and explicitly there to cap tie. In contrast if you act like it’s a starting unit and wedge Dest in after he puts himself in play, then by definition that’s special treatment. Similarly, the beef about The Germans was perceived favoritism while trying to win when people thought they didn’t give us the best chance. So part of the beef is against the backdrop of us always playing to win and making minimal effort to cap tie. In which case, “I am better than that punk.” Particularly if your crap lineup loses.

Three other thoughts, one, this is a “suckage beef.” People question what the coach does, more, when we suck. If we’re winning the coach is entitled to deference and insulated by results. If Klinsmann is going to Brazil he can call in college and USL people. Rich people are eccentric. Poor people are crazy. If Klinsmann goes off the rails on results then he’s crazy.

Two, the minute you start worrying about appearances instead of performance or cap-tying you are a politician and not a coach. The coach should be the boss and the buck stops here. This is my decision on what helps us win and betters the pool. If you have a problem there’s the door. And then you better go get results. But if you do....see above....rich people are eccentric....

Three, if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice. A more passive Tab Ramos approach to loyalty, or a decision that we won’t fast track dualies to not offend the rest of the pool, increases the likelihood of a Jonathan Gonzalez. You are elevating principle over practicality. Just like the people who used to say they’d happily miss a World Cup if we undertook to change how we play. OK, I want you to remind everyone of your principles when the practical downsides start playing out. Don’t just blame the player. Admit you made a decision to risk the downside. “ I am not going to pressure players,” or “we are not going to hand out premature caps.” In which case your beloved veterans better get my money. Not winning and also not cap tying is a pretty stupid perfect storm.