Dual nationals who could suit up for the US.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me preface that statement could be totally inaccurate so grant me some Grace if I am wrong for this, but if I was a young player, and I was slamming the door shut during a World Cup and right before a new cycle, I would imagine that’s because I want to be all-in on the nation that I initially favored.

Again, could I be wrong? Of course. But that’s how I would read that. But hopefully he chooses the United States. We need as much depth and legit options as possible.

rgli13 repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure would be nice to have Balogun on this USMNT roster....

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England has to be the betting favorite.

Balogun has been very committed to playing for England at the youth level and apparently rebuked any recent US advances. Most observers would expect him to jump at an England call-up. England has UEFA qualifiers in 2023 (including a match against Malta). If he keeps performing in France at a high level, that may come soon.

rgli13 repped this.
  4. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but Ochoa would still be eligible for the U-23 FIFA rule change. If he isn’t capped 3 or more times by the senior team before 23 years old then he would then be able to switch. I.e. Jonathan Gonzalez right?

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he's not. That rule does not apply if a player has filed a one time switch. A one time switch is meant to be permanent, unless a player *never* plays for his new federation. Only then can a player switch back.

gomichigan24, Winoman and SoccerFanInIA repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should add that the new rule is for players who get a full-NT competitive cap before age 21, not 23.

gomichigan24 and Winoman repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Does he look at the current England lineup and really think he'd get a fair shot with them? If so, then go for it buddy!

8. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, they cant even score against the lowly usa...

and rising power usa have an opening he fits :cool:

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally agree, though if he’s going to play for England why even make an announcement. He’s already in their set up and just continue as is for the time being. And still gives him flexibility for the future if things don’t work out with England.

Oranje Agony, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. Balogun has made it pretty clear that his #1 choice is England.

This has always seemed like a long-shot. I'm sure the USSF is going to keep trying, though.

I mean, there's no point committing to the US immediately AFTER the World Cup. He's on track to play at the 2023 Euro U21 Championships with England. That's a pretty prestigious event.

If I was his advisor, I'd suggest waiting until after that event to decide on a permanent international future.

Of course, by then we hope some of our American forwards like Pepi start crushing it.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  11. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    The key thing to me is that if he'd switched to the US, he would've been fast tracked like Tillman, and had a much better chance than Tillman did at making the team since we struggle at the position. He had a better than 50% chance of playing in a WC for us immediately, right now at best he's looking 50/50 for '26, and 0% chance of '22 for England.

The fact that he didn't switch tells me that he's 100% England unless it becomes far less of a sure thing for '26, if he's a toss up or worse, than yeah, we have a chance, but otherwise, I think he's England period.

I'd keep recruiting going forward, we might gain an advantage if he doesn't get a call up for Euro '24 in 18 months, but I do think our chances are probably in the 10-15% territory rather than coin toss.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edgar is usually pretty reliable:

But not sure why he would decide now, especially not knowing who the coach with be for either USMNT or England and with no real rush to decide.

gomichigan24 and largegarlic repped this.
  13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Make it so.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of a thread from Matt Doyle about Mexico's future:

I am less concerned that Mexico will have a down period as they have a huge money & enthusiasm gap over the US and Canada. The one thing that could hold them back is their own overconfidence (especially of Liga MX & FMF officials).

15. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    It just feels Mexico is somewhat nationalist in regards to where the player is playing and where he originally came from…. Granted they wouldnt pass up a super big prospect but most of the time their capping is more to deny a player to other programs and not as much to give a prospect a chance…

Oranje Agony and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if we might see a big effort to bring Mexican-Americans into Liga MX to make them "one of our own." But to make it effective, they'll need to be paid at least at a comparable level to what they can make in the US (Mexican academy wages are woefully inadequate) AND they need to build a better pathway to Europe.

I'm curious what the percentage of MLS homegrowns who are Mexico-eligible is. Getting that population would be one possible tactic to get more duals in the pipeline. I'm also curious about how the El Tri camp experience is for Mexican-American kids. If it's not welcoming or if the players don't feel like they are getting a chance, there's another opportunity to make some changes.

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if he's all-in. We don't need any tourists.

TrustingtheProcess and FC Tallavana repped this.
  18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sure it doesn’t hurt to see Musah (who he knows), join the team and shine in the World Cup at the age of 20.

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all know who the USMNT coach will be..... Hint: His name rhymes with the Lregg Shurhalter.

At this point, unless the US gets thumped by 5 or more goals against Netherlands, there is absolutely zero percent chance that he’s not going to be the manager. No way. Buckle up. It’s happening. Gregg is going to be the coach through the 2026 cycle.

Do I, personally, think he should? I’d say we could do better. Everyone knows I’ve been hyper critical of him. But he met the benchmark of getting out of the group, which normally guarantees the coach the job, there have been ZERO rumors that his job is in question, all his players are talking about unity and brotherhood and how much they believe in themselves and this team, and the fact he could go into the next World Cup, needing to only replace 1-2 players out of 26 (maybe 3 if you want to count Sean Johnson) because of age related issues.

Oh, it doesn’t matter what you or I want. This is what’s going to happen. He’s signed, sealed, and delivered it. I’ll eat my lunch if he isn’t. But I would almost bet my house, your house, and everyone’s house on here, unless the sky just falls out, Gregg Berhalter is going to be the coach for the next cycle.

20. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    My impression from afar is that the player development infrastructure for youth players in Mexico is lacking outside of the very top level of professional academies. My impression is that while fandom and an enthusiasm to play the game are huge, the idea that players need to be developed systematically from a young age is a much more foreign idea. It seems like soccer is more of a past time or recreational or community event than here in the US where soccer and other sports are often more about realizing one's potential.

I'd love for someone with a better knowledge of the youth landscape to chime in because that is simply a hypothesis based on my understanding of Mexican culture/society.

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter is almost certainly going to be offered the chance to come back, but it’s not actually clear he wants to or not. Lots of people who know him have said they could see him wanting to go back to the club game. He probably hasn’t decided and will want to see what his other options are.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money is that he’s going to want it. Who wouldn’t? That would be incredibly shocking. You just finally got this super young team to come together at the right time, you know they should peak by the end of the next cycle, and you’re going to play the World Cup in your home country. This is the dream scenario for every coach. And to tell the truth, I actually believe this is going to be one of the premier jobs that I would imagine anyone who wants to get into the international game. That goes for Berhalter. That goes for Marsch. Hell, that goes for Pep Guardiola, Roberto Martinez, Klopp, and that caliber of manager.

largegarlic repped this.
  23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, this is obviously pure speculation, but I'd bet his Euro options would be something like mid-table Eredivisie or maybe lower-table Bundesliga. He's not going to get an EPL job just on the basis of getting the USMNT out of the group. If your choice is between, say, Utrecht or coaching your home country when they're hosting the WC and have a good core of young talent, you'd have to be REALLY into getting your foot in the door in Europe to take that option.

24. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Others have speculated the same thing, but Kasey Keller who is his good friend said the other day that he has no inside info but he could see him wanting to go back to the day to day of the club game. Said that’s something Berhalter definitely misses and that he’s a young coach and he could see him wanting to go back to that. My sense is Berhalter will want to at least explore his other options, particularly in Europe and he will sign a short term extension that gives both sides a chance to explore their options.

I think that international management is generally not as attractive as club management. Jesse Marsch isn’t giving up the Leeds job for the USMNT job. Pep and Klopp may want to manage internationally, but it won’t be now. If you look at the best unattached coaches, like Tuchel or Pochettino, they aren’t likely to want to go to the international game either. Now it’s likely that some foreign coaches will be interested (I could see Marcelo Biesla for instance being very interested), but it’s going to be a bit of a random group.

25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those would be fairly good jobs for an American coach though. It’s not like Marsch started in the EPL. I’m sure Berhalter also feels like he has a point to prove the way his previous European experience went. That doesn’t mean he won’t be back, but I don’t think it’s fait accompli the way everyone seems to assume.