Dual nationals who could suit up for the US.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Why I never. I just saw this new piece of ass yesterday.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"...However, the call-up does not mean Koleosho has definitively committed his international future to Canada, with a source telling ESPN a decision is likely to be delayed until after June's camp."

Deadtigers, Namdynamo, edcrocker and 2 others repped this.
  4. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Koleosho apparently wants to skip the U20 qualifiers to focus on making the full RCD Espanyol squad for next season. Given that, this was a chance for Herdman to call him into a Canada camp to help him weigh his options. He was never going to be cap-tied either way. They wanted to do the same thing with Marcelo Flores and never got a chance after Canada cancelled the January camp due to covid.

Canada has had precious few youth camps in the last four years and haven't had an experimental senior camp since pre-covid. When Romania is cap-tying a 15 year old from Toronto, I don't think you can be too pro-active in trying to get promising young players into the program.

I expected Koleosho to be more on the USYNT radar since he's been on the Canadian U20 radar for a couple of years, but you guys really do have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to young players at the moment.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada really has alot of dual nationals over the years so I understand why they'd want to be aggressive.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We haven't had a ton of U20 camps either. Koleosho was at the U20 camp at the end of April.

He might have had a chance to make the US U20 roster depending on availability/release of the first string guys.

But who knows.............................he's a 17 year old. A lottery ticket. Could fall off the face of the Earth. Could turn into a pro, but not worthy of senior national team consideration (like say Ayo Akinola). Could become a senior international. All I know is you guys have some pretty good attacking players that might not make your World Cup squad (Liam Miller, etc.), and most of your attacking pool is young.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    J. Gomez has made his decision. Fortunately, we still have Paredes, Bello, Wiley, and Tolkin.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where I "doubted"...

I said Berhalter should fly to Germany to recruit Tillman.
    Berhalter flew to Germany to recruit Tillman, and it worked.
    The jersey on social media part is not as important as the actual meeting part, agreed... although dumb social media crap absolutely does matter to a lot of young guys that age and US Soccer should do more of it.

When Gregg does exactly what I want, that's not owning me in any way, I am very happy to see it!

Gregg: "We had some good conversations a couple weeks ago in Munich."

Winoman repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously Jonathan Gomez is the most important one, but that's about a quarter of their 25 outfield players...

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tony Leone might be biggest one.

Boomf181818 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  12. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll quote the entire post, you where throwing a hissy fit on the youth boards over El Tri holding a youth camp in the US. And were quite upset over the image of Slonina and the Polish coach handing him a jersey with his name on it, how did that work out for them? Clearly our federation does it recruiting behinds the scene without flaunting it all over social media.

Glad you're not the one doing the recruiting, or you'd scare them all away like Poland did with Slonina, next time take a deep breath when you're experiencing #Dualnationalpanic

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point no need for "panic" as El Tri holding youth camps in the US is obviously unlikely to result in a bunch of Mexican-American kids playing for Mexico's youth national teams... today seems like a great day to be making that point! :thumbsup:

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yep. El Tri is having success. I don't know that it hurts the US program, though. It's more a reflection of the strength of the program, if anything.

Namdynamo, frankburgers and xbhaskarx repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone could argue with that, but US Soccer has to fight like hell for dual nats using all acceptable tools and tactics, especially for the ones they think could end up being difference makers.

As for whether or not it hurts the US program, if the first Pulisic-caliber Mexican-American ended up playing for El Tri over the US, that would certainly have negative ramifications.

Deadtigers and Oranje Agony repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Within the context of the burgeoning pool, the ramifications seem mostly positive to me.

17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I am bummed about this one. I think that kid could turn out to be very very good. I agree with this guys tweets in this thread (both in youth team mgt and choices of venue), though I know some here disagree.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait why do we think Obed Vargas is "already leaning towards Mexico"?

gomichigan24 repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    MLS-trained players getting caps for the Mexican National Teams doesn't exactly hurt MLS credibility or marketing. And this movement may not be the unpreferred path, given MLS will no longer be involved with the marketing of the US, but will continue to market the Mexican National Team.

20. Boomf181818

Boomf181818 Member

United States
    Jan 30, 2022
    I think the USMNT is always going to struggle with Mexican-American dual nats who have the option to play for both squads. A lot of Mexican-Americans in this country are very, very passionate El Tri supporters and it’s going to be hard to get them onboard when they have the chance to play for a team they’ve been rooting for their whole lives. I think we as a federation could do more to bring in more Mexican-American fans which would help (like not playing every game in ********ing Ohio) but alas that’s a longer term sorta problem.

As for JoGo specifically it would suck to lose him, he was mega impressive in the USL, but I’m not sure what else we could’ve done to keep the guy. Honestly Leone is the one who I really wish the USMNT had some sway with but it appears that isn’t gonna happen.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I think a lot of fans and the USSF think about the Mexican-American and other Hispanic fans in old-fashioned, unimaginative ways. Liga MX may be the most popular league in the United States, but that is a legacy that is certainly contestable by MLS. The early weakness of MLS and family traditions explain the popularity of Liga MX among Mexican Americans. But MLS is pretty savvy about courting this part of the fan base, and as MLS gets better and better relative to Liga MX, I think we’re going to see a shift in relative popularity. More and more MLS teams are courting Latin American players. The atmosphere at Q2 Stadium in Austin is a Latin American atmosphere, and almost everyone in the stadium loves it, even though non-Latinos probably are the more numerous group.

USSF needs to learn from MLS. A very large percentage of Mexican American fans in the United States are American citizens who chose this country over their country of origin. Young dual nationals who were born and raised in the United States ought to be inclined to pick the US, all else equal. They are with each generation becoming more American. Recruiting talented dual national Mexicans is more important than recruiting other dual nationals because of their numbers in the youth ranks and the precedential value of wins and losses in the minds of those families of younger players coming up. Avoiding Spanish-speaking fans so assiduously when choosing venues has to be alienating, especially when we are willing to risk the health of our own players in order to do it. (St Paul) Obviously, players will also want to go where they think they are most likely to get into the national team; but Gomez should have been optimistic about his chances with the USMNT.

I know, I know… Home-field advantage… But sometimes you have to give up something now in order to get something bigger later. Sometimes you have to play the long game. USSF should be playing the long game. An American team that comes to dominate Mexico, playing in front of Hispanic American fans, featuring Mexican-American dual nationals, will win hearts and minds away from the Mexican team. I know there are probably segments of the American soccer public who don’t want to see a team like that, but they ought to lose this argument on ethical grounds. Land of the free, melting pot, and all that.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. A rising tide lifts all boats. Mexico calling up so many Mexican-Americans across all youth teams, and their senior team, says a lot about American development programs (and let's not forget the Canadian Flores). And the state of Mexican domestic development programs.

USMNT fans have a bizarre complex with Mexico. Some sort of mixture of an inferiority complex and persecution complex. Its the US that's back-to-back-to-back U20 CONCACAF Champions. Its the USMNT that's Gold Cup Champion and Nations League Champion. Mexico hasn't beaten us in 4 straight games.

I will enjoy Jonathan Gomez wearing his runner's up medal at the upcoming U20 CONCACAF Championships.

People do know that Antonee Robinson is pretty darn good. Right? Arguably our most consistent player over the course of qualifying. He'll be in the Premier League next season with Fulham. AC Milan, who won Serie A, submitted a transfer bid for him in 2020.

People do know that this board's darling Joe Scally played LB at times in the Bundesliga this year. Right? As did George Bello for that matter. And Sam Vines in Belgium.

Our development programs roll on. More players will come off the pipeline. Next man up!!!

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just one other thing to add on the Mexico discussion. People do understand that they extended their deal with SUM thru 2026. THey have no home WCQers next cycle. Their games will overwhelmingly be in the US, with their base in Dallas. FC Dallas and Dan Hunt are part of the deal. There's Jerry Jones too. What's going on? This is huge business. Huge money making opportunity. That's what's going on.

25. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I am not so sure this means JOGO has made a final decision as he can still make a switch. However, I agree with CE that the left back position for the USMNT seems pretty stacked and I suggest that is the primary factor when a kid decides what country he will play for.

Why would JOGO declare for the US and sit behind A Rob for the next two world cups if he thinks he can move into the Mexican senior team earlier?

It's all about playing time and opportunity. You go where you have the best chance. Makes sense.

Deadtigers, Oranje Agony and deejay repped this.