Drive On TV

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by smudgeyjoe, Oct 2, 2003.

1. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    I don't know about the the remaining matches, which say TBA, but the next two matches are being televised on DirecTV's MLS Shootout. Here is the schedule.

http://www.directvsports.com/Subscriptions/MLSESPNShootout/Schedule/

I hope those TBA's turn into reality. I know what Greenie said, and I always consider him the bottom line, but this at least looks like there is hope.

2. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    At the bottom of the posted webpage:

"Game schedule subject to change. Blackout rules and other conditions apply. Some games listed here may be viewed on local channels."

3. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    time warner cable does not have any of the colorado games to be played in october (not even the home ones) scheduled to me shown on the shootout :( :(

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Is this really so difficult to understand or believe?

NO TV

None of the remaining Rapids' road games in the regular season are scheduled to be televised, unless the home team decides to do so at the last second (unlikely).

This is confirmed by the Rapids themselves and members of their broadcast crew.

Keep in mind that sites like DirecTV and DISH are usually the last to update their soccer listings.

Game is available only through Yahoo Platium.

5. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i said HOME games. i already understand the road games are out. but the home games should be broadcast since san jose will be broadcasting their game here on the 10th, but the shootout has not picked it up. and as for yahoo platinum they don't have any colorado games listed for the month of october on their schedule either: http://platinum.yahoo.com/sp/mls/

so the rapids fans outside of colorado are basically screwed. thanks comcast!

since yahoo platinum is out and the others are out as well that leads me to believe that there are not going to be any camera crews working the games at all, so not even any highlights for mls wrap.

6. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Question For Greenie Or Someone In The Know!

After reading what Greenie said about the lack of television for the remaining road games, I wrote to the Rapids, and this is the reply:

Thanks for your support of the Colorado Rapids and Major League Soccer. I appreciate your email regarding the cancelled broadcasts for our last three Away Games in October. This was a business decision made by the Rapids Front Office. As much as we wanted to broadcast these three games on COMCAST Ch. 21 (since we, the Rapids Staff, enjoy watching them as much if not more than anyone else), it was the best decision at this time when all factors were considered as it concerns the Rapids Business Operation. I'd be more than happy to discuss in greater detail. We are scheduled to broadcast all (one or both, TBD by the Playoff Scenario) Away Playoff Games on Fox Sports Net. Once again, we appreciate your support.

I am a teacher, and not very knowledgeable about business, but how is it in the best interest of the Rapids Business Operation to not show these matches. If another team broadcasts a match, do the Rapids share in the cost? Please let us know what this reply means!

7. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    Re: Question For Greenie Or Someone In The Know!

I'm sure the visiting team has to pick up the costs of a broadcast. I seem to recall that all MLS games are handled by the same company (in terms of audio/video crews), so I'd bet that it's a matter of the league saying "here's the cost to broadcast an away game to your fans" and that's that.

And if the broadcast isn't actually shown by a "real" network (either FSRM, FSW, or ESPN), then in the past they paid for time on the AT&T cable "community lease" channel (21?).

So a few things come to mind -- now that AT&T has become Comcast, maybe the cost of doing that has gone up? Once the Rapids clinched their spot, maybe the front office decided not to bear the cost of the broadcast? Maybe something happened with the sponsor(s) that originally contracted for these games? Now that the Rapids have changed hands, maybe the new owner decided to tighten the belt?

Only two things are for sure... One -- it's an irritating decision. Two -- all of the above is supposition on my part! ;)

8. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Thanks Jeff!!!!

Those suppositions sound reasonable. Do you have any thoughts about satellite stuff? DirecTV has the MLS Shootout. Do the teams have to pay for that, or does the Shootout just take advantage of games that are already being broadcast?

9. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Re: Thanks Jeff!!!!

Yes, the Shootout package merely provides the same feed that is already being picked up by the broadcasting team's regional network, ESPN, Fox World or HDnet.

10. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Re: Re: Thanks Jeff!!!!

Comcast finally rebuilt my area so the Shootout is available. (It only took 3 cable companies 6 years geeze!!)

Is there any chance the the Colorado Chicago game will be on the shootout since the Rapids previous owner so graciously cut out the final 3 away game telecasts?
    Now, these two games have some significance since it seems that KC is on a hot streak and we are sputtering. It would be nice to witness Colorado resurge to enter the playoffs on fire.