Drive - Heidelberg to Hanover

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by jb2001, Apr 14, 2006.

1. jb2001

jb2001 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Looking to drive from Karlsruhe/Heidelberg area leaving weekday morning to make a game in Hanover at 4 pm..

How long should we give ourselves for the trip and any input on roadways, congestion areas, etc.

Thanks!

2. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    here's a link to a variety of websites that will help you: http://portale.web.de/Auto/Routenplaner/
    Driving is quite easy, I would depart around 8 AM, that way you have enough time. It is kinda difficult to say how much you will need as there will be more traffic during the world cup. I'd just follow the Autobahn, first in direction Frankfurt and then head on to Hanover, One of both cities should be on the signs of the Autobahn. I also recommend buying a map at a gas station (or getting one at the car rental agency) and tuning into American/British TV broadcasts for traffic news. Don't know what the american station is in the south, here we have BFBS 1, which gives you traffic updates for Lower Saxony (and Northrhine Westfalia, which doesn't help you ;-). seriously, don't drive via Cologne, the traffic usually doesn't run as smooth there as it does at the A5 / A7 )
    Some basic thoughts about the Autobahn:
    -don't go to fast if you are not used to it. The fact thast you can drive as fast as you want (at some spaces) doesn't mean you have too, especially with the German gas prices.
    -allways drive on the rightest lane as possible
    -Only pass other cars on the left lane
    -If you are driving on the left lane, look into the mirror. If a car is coming up fast, try to get on the right lane.
    -In general Germans are more like: There are rules and they shoiuld be followed as opposed to the American: There are rules, but some people may not know them and I should allways look up. Try to keep that in mind.

Have fun

3. Substance

Substance New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    sydney
  4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, as long as you don't drive a big truck, you won'tz have to pay tolls in Germany.