Dribbling to the Corners

Discussion in 'Player' started by doctor_mooch, Jul 4, 2009.

1. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm just wondering when professionals , or when YOU would dribble into a corner and hold it to waste time? I kno most professional teams have players do that with some time left, while others don't do it at all. Whats your opinion on when to do it and in what situation

2. footreads

footreads New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My oppionion on this I would is I would never think of doing that when I was a player. In fact it would piss me off if an opponent tried to do that to me. So much so when I went for a tackle I would miss and get his ankles hard by accident.

As a coach my guys would get pissed off, and when they go for the tackle they would miss and hit the opponents ankles by accident hard until they stopped doing it.

If your holding the ball in a corner your in the lead. It is like a slap in the face to an opponent in my eyes. National theam US do it against Mexico and see what happens to the player trying to do it.

You have a ton of back space to work in when you have the ball near your attacking goal. Use that ton of back space. Once you get the ball into that space. You have a ton of options you can possibly shoot, you can cross, you can pass the ball across the field or you can back pass further back, then you can pass the ball back across the field, or you can back pass again.

All that ball movement can waste a lot of time, and the opponents job is to win it back. Then no one will get pissed off. Your just playing the ball away from pressure.

3. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The whole point of it is to waste time and it is a way of gamesmanship that doesn't break the rules. it is like when the goal keeper saves the ball even when its gone overthe line and the ref doesn't spot it but he doesn't tell the ref. Its just a part of the game that is used rarely and do you really think you would just gift the ball to the opponents when in a cup final and only just winning and want to hold on? i certainly wouldn't give the abll to the opponents, it isalso designed to annoy the opponents so when you say that you get p****d off when it happens to you i bet when your team does it you will be glad that they are doing it instead of letting in a goal.

4. footreads

footreads New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You would lose that bet. What's a matter with using the 120 yards of back space when your near the goal line. Got something against using that?

Something a women would do. Ever hear a womens soccer coach say pass it to the corner flag? Mens game we pass to team mates not corner flags and we don't hold the ball at a corner flag either.

I know a lot of male coaches want players to do that, but that does not make it right.

Gamesmenship my ass.

5. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a tactic to use when you are up with five or so minutes left. The objective is to kill some time and push your defensive line up(so you only have to defend half the field) and to frustrate your opponent into making reckless or rash challenges.

Once your line is up everyone else should be pushing into the corner, trying to keep possession in a tighter space(as far away from your own goal as possible).
    It's the equivalent of a gridiron team running the clock out instead of the riskier pass option. If you possess more, you'll concede less.

footreads, I don't believe for one second any ankle-catching tackle you've ever made in this situation is an accident. They goaded you into doing exactly what they wanted you to do.

6. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So some of you think its just a stupid idea and disrespectful, while others think is part of a game and should be used. Am i rite?

And also a second thought. Wouldn't it also be direspectful if you were already up and winning and there wasn't that much time left, would u still take a free kick to try and score?? I was just saying this cause i remember watching Brazil vs US in the Confederations Cup Final. The Brazilians had a free kick outside of the box and could have easily taken a shot or crossed it in, but instead they passed it to the corner and had one of the players hold it

7. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keen observation. You're either "for it" or "against it". However, your sample size is too small.

8. footreads

footreads New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Of cource it was no accident. I wanted to send a message not to do that. So they wanted me to hurt one of them is that it? Well, I got the message.

Watch when the US plays Mexico and we the US tries to do that. See what the Mexican players do to our players. Frankly, it could become very dangerous for our players to try this against Mexico or another seroius opponent. There are other ways to waste time.

9. Juventus_Supporter

May 29, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    :rolleyes:
    So first you say a woman would do it, and then a woman wouldn't do it, then a man wouldn't do it and lastly men do do it.

It's part of the game if your coach is smart enough to play tactical, if he isn't he might as well tell his players to go out there and play as good as they can, hence he wouldn't be needed.

10. footreads

footreads New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nice argument :)

11. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not saying you cant pass it back but if you think, the last minutes of the game their strikers and all players will want theball up your end of the pitch. If you think your passing it round the back then you could do one dodgy pass then you'll likely let in a goal.

You do know what gamesmanship is don't you.

12. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite the sportsman I see. Hacking at people because they beat you.

13. footreads

footreads New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am new to the game. Only been playing and coaching since 1962 so what do I know not much as compared to you.

14. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly old style not new. Also I haven't said I agree with it as it isn't fun which is what the game is about but then its a results industry so cheating etc... will occur.
    Also you still haven't answered my question!

15. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I got to side with footreads on this one. Taking a ball into the corner to kill time is something a team or coach would do if they lack confidence in their technical skills and lack the desire to improve them. Tactically its easier to maintain possession kicking the ball around than to trap yourself in a corner with it.

16. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Besides dribbling to the corners, walking to get the goal kick, slowing down the throw in, what other legitimate time wasters don't you like?

And the player who hits out at the opponent with the late tackle will be on teh receiving end of at least yellow, and maybe red if it is severe enough. The team with the lead SHOULD control the ball, and why shouldn't you take advantage of legitimate time wasters. The ball in play near the corner flag at the end of a match is held up by the team leading only about 100 per cent of the time nowadays. What matches are you watching?

I actually think it is an expected part of the match now. If you don't think so, and you lash out, you'd be gone in a heartbeat in a game I was in the center on.

R

17. footreads

footreads New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I will tell you a time waster I don't like. A clearance to no one to get those 3 extra seconds of time, and then lose the ball because your afraid of losing the ball. How dumb is that? Better to learn how to play out of pressure, and still control the ball. You probably don't think so right.

18. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    is it sporting? i don't see what's so wrong with it. as long as the ball is in play, the trailing team at least has a chance at the ball. it's not really any different than playing the ball back and forth across the defensive line.

it's a lot less objectionable than people who walk slowly to retrieve a ball that's put out of play, which i consider to be true "time-wasting".

i suppose it may be desireable to try to hold in the corners because if you lose possession, you lose it in the attacking third of the pitch, but... let's be practical... it's difficult to hold the ball in the attacking third--even in the corners. (1. there's usually more pressure, and 2. it's easier for the defending team to pursue when everyone is behind the ball.)

so if there's nothing wrong with holding the ball, then the question of when to do it is simply a matter of where you try to hold the ball. and the answer to that is: wherever there's least pressure. (sometimes, it will be across your back line. sometimes, this will be at the corners. sometimes, it will be on your wings.)

19. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have you guys never heard of running dow the clock it happens in alot of sports. Snolly G your right when you say its legitimate but then you say walking to get the ball is bad if you realise that the ref stops his watch when the ball is out of play for a substancial amount of time, then no time will be wasted.

20. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a part of the game. As for footreads, you're down a goal and you hack someone in the corner. Good job, you just wasted more of your time. You know that person is now on the ground, wasting time, AND you gave them a free kick and possibly got yourself carded. Mission complete for the opponent in that case.

As for the arguments that less tactical and skilled teams don't do this, no way. I've seen Brazil do it and someone just pointed out that it happened in the Confed Cup. So, Brazil doesn't have confidence in their skills?

Footreads, you let your players (I'm hoping not TEACH your players) to go for the ankles in this situation?! Nice. There are a ton of ways to disrespect a team, this is probably one of the least. Intentionally hurting someone for this reason. Now that's disrespect.

One of the arguments against playing it around in back was because you can have a bad pass and now your in trouble. Exactly what I would have said. Compress the field and keep the ball in the opponents end as far as you can.

There are multiple arguments for/against the idea, but to get to the OP's question, it usually starts to happen in the last 5 minutes or so.

21. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    hi gareth... i'd say that depends on the ref. i find that most refs don't stop the watch for retrieving the ball, unless it's a ridiculous delay.

22. footreads

footreads New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid

23. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    footreads, you crack me up! first, you don't know anything about my playing and/or coaching experience so please don't even try that argument. I won't throw years around like you did, because that actually means SQUAT. Let's just say I'm happy to say that I've coached from Pre-K all the way to adult (ex-college players). I've played through college and some semi-pro. does that make me the most knowledgeable person, nope. and i don't pretend to be. but, i do recognize disrespect when i see it. you coaching players to hack someone from behind pretty much sums up your "really good game". As for Brazil and the US, seriously, how can you use that as an example. Brazil is a much better team than us and we weren't just clearing things out because that's what we were taught. we were doing it because of the pressure and the lack of options. And for your last part, yes, please, stop posting, it's not productive. I couldn't agree more.

24. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I have seen Brazil take the ball into a corner too, but the times I recall the player was attempting to gain a corner kick out of it, which I greatly prefer to simply shielding the ball in a corner.

About some other posts, slowing down play is not time wasting. Its game management. While some might think thats a mere technicality, I think its a huge difference. Slowing down is just as valid as speeding up. I have no problem with either.

25. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another note, i usually only see this happening when there is a one goal differential in the score. with 2 goals, i've seen it less often, if at all