Dribbling: The Deuce

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by The_Dude, Apr 18, 2006.

1. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Reading GW's preview, he says that the Deuce is a fearless and inventive dribbler.

Are we talking, Cristiano Ronaldo, Denilson, Cunningham, or just good by U.S. standards? (haven't seen the guy play so much)

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    more effective than those others EXCEPT Ronaldo. He is not just speed ala Cunningham ( by the way, I do NOT think JC is an especially good dribbler) but Demps actually has moves-many of them.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Donovan, Beasley, and Convey ar emore effective 1v1 players IMHO

4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He does a lot of the Denilson move that C.Ronaldo does where while running forward you touch the ball back with a heel to your trailing leg and then flick it forward around the outside of your plant foot. I'd say that in a stylistic way he carries himself a bit more like Zidane especialy when he's taking someone on from a standstill, probably because his pace is not outstanding. Someone should make a dribbling compilation.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    all 3 of those guys have speed and no moves at all.I am one of the biggest Lando fans on here, but Lando has essentially no dribble moves.He is quick and a good dribbler but has no moves. Lando is a better player than Deuce but Deuce is a better dribbler, if that is the qquestion. Now, Beaz basically can't dribble at all except in a straight line.Very fast, no real dribbling skills. Can't turn, has no fakes.

6. GCSOCCER19

GCSOCCER19 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Carolina
    Not a chance, Dempsey has more dimensions as a 1v1 player than all three of these. I think 1v1 my choice is Dempsey, he can beat you with quickness on a simple touch, he can shake you out of your shoes with some step-overs and flicks a-la Ronaldinho style, be can he also just choose to run through you because he is a big S-O-B. I played against him in college and the kid is a very intimidating player because of his size and athleticism.

If he is running at you with speed he has an awesome back side flick where he hits the ball behind his left into space with the inside of his right foot, Quarasema does this move alot, Dempsey has become very good at using it and draws quite a few foulds with it

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    most people do not realize how big Dempsey is if they have not met him in person-I am 6'2", about 180 and he is basically the same size. He is a big strong-looking guy.

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.aka...1506_lagcdc_glenn_goals_350.wmv',type:'v_free

Watch the last goal in this highlite clip.

mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.aka...ve11/110505_wcf_lagcor_donovan_goals2_384.wmv

Watch the 2nd goal of that high lite clip.

[​IMG]

that's actually a still shot of a run where Beas clown both Clarence Seedorf AND Jaap Staam. BTW - he drew 2 yellows on Staam in this match.

Convey has a pair of Highlite reel 50 yard runs and goals for Reading. Andis known there for beating players on the run.

And have all of you forgotten Donovan's run through the German defense in the World cup?

Until Dempsey starts doing that stuff (which he has yet to do) why would anyone thing he's a better 1v1 player than those 3?

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    those guys are fast and good players.The question originally was fearless and INVENTIVE dribbler.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

really, who the ******** cares how inventive he is? Who's better at blowing by defenders?

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would put dempsey ahead of at least beasley and Convey,,,,Donovan does not really strike me a great dribbler,,,,,,good not great.....Demps I would say is much better than average.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

seriously, watch those clips I linked. And I really wish I could find that gif of beasley's run through Seedorf and Staam.

People seem to have forgotten just how freakin good BEasley and Donovan are

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    why don't you try reading the post and looking at the question?Please remember that the rest of us can't hear those voices in your head.

14. Rob Base

Rob Base Member

Apr 30, 2003
    'Burque, NM
    I don't think of Donovan as an effective 1v1 player because it seems like he doesn't go at guys very often. I find myself getting frustrated at him pulling up or passing when it looks like he has one guy to get past to get into a dangerous position. It's like I've got more confidence that he can beat guys on the dribble than he does. That said, I try to give him the benefit of the doubt because dribbling into a crowd with no support doesn't make an "effective" dribbler (i.e. beating two guys sounds great, but not if you have to beat four to make something happen). Also, Landon's in the middle of the field and usually in a crowd, but still it seems that opportunities to blow past people come up and he often doesn't take them.

As far as Dempsey goes, he seems to relish that opportunity where he gets down the sideline with one guy on him. There's no question as to whether he is going to go at the guy. I chalk it up to moxie and youth (not that Landon is a geezer, but he does play "safer" in my opinion). Clint doesn't appear to be thinking "hey, I should do the safe thing in this situation and maintain possession for the controlled buildup". Instead, it seems like when he looks up with one defender coming out, his first instinct is to say "oh hell, it's on!". That aggressive 1v1 mentality is something that I think the US has not had for the most part, and I, for one, am excited to see it in one of our players. I'm not certain that Dempsey is the best option to start in the midfield, but will say that when he gets the ball with space in front of him I'm on the edge of my seat.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't view them from work but unless Convey has had a metamophisis in the last year I can;t see him instilling fear into any defender 1v1. His speed is not that of Beaser or lando

16. OCKlinsmann

OCKlinsmann Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the reason Dennilson isn't highly regarded and couldn't get a starting spot in La Liga was that he was just a dribbler...a frickin awesome dribbler, but just a dribbler.

Dempsey is the best pure dribbler, when compared to LD, DMB or BC...but really, the ability to beat defenders is the key. LD, DMB and BC create goals and score goals by blowing by defenders with fewer real "moves" and with better speed. Dempsey is arguably a better dribbler but not as dangerous an offensive threat.

17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The best move LD could make on a 1v1 is a wall pass

LD is more of a passer then to take people on

Beaz relies on his speed

Dempsey is what the US NEEDS a player who can take people on he makes himself and the team more dangerous when he does this

18. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep...exactly..

19. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    After being presented with evidence that directly contradicts his dumbass statements...

Folks, that's called a retraction. After getting stomped on for starting this flame war with dumbass comments to begin with...

That was a lot of fun, Bruce S. You handed yourself your own ass.

Anyway - Dempsey isn't at his best when dribbling. Really. The best game he's played for the US was against Japan, where Japanese defenders didn't know what to do with him. Not because he looked like Ronaldo, or the freakin' black hole that was Denilson, but because his movements, and especially his turns, were creative and kept Japanese defenders off balance. So they fouled him - a lot.

Oddly enough, Donovan, Beasley, and Convey are tough to contain not because they have 5 million pointless tricks up their sleeves, but because they keep the game simple and fundamental, and do it at a high pace. When Landon does want to break an ankle with a quick move - he can. Beasley can change directions on a dime. Convey, IMO, has always done his best work off the ball to get by defenders.

I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Dempsey try a myriad of tricks on the field against any one of our group opponents. He'll get crushed. But if he can be creative, decisive, and most importantly fast in his movements, he can be effective. We'll see.

20. WishHoustonHAdATeam

WishHoustonHAdATeam New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Houston Texas
    I want Dempsey to be great in June, but do we really think he can doing anything more than either a) flip out, or b) play tentative for the rest of the game, as soon as Gattuso or Nedved slide straight into his shins?

21. El Jefecito

El Jefecito New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Monroe, LA
    At the international level The Deuce needs to learn to (or get strong enough to) stay on his feet. He either goes down too easily looking for calls he won't get in Germany, or he's just not strong enough for the bigger European backs?!

22. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't seen that. That was some sick stuff. I couldn't see what the move was that got the defender to commit the wrong way right before he got the cross off, but it must have been good.

Dempsey's dribbling ability has improved by leaps and bounds since his rookie year, very impressive how much better it has become. In terms of Nike style trickery and footwork, Dempsey is the tops for the US as pretty much agreed to by all of the US players during the Nike video shoot. Beasley commented on how insane his playground skills were.

Now how much trickery translates to effectiveness I don't know. I do know that deception is an extremely valuable tool in any attacker's arsenal. That doesn't necessarily mean real out there tricks and stuff, but you do want to mix things up and be able to sell one move while actually doing another.

If Dempsey was a better ball striker I think he'd be a dominating player capable of playing for anybody. But both his shooting and crossing can sometimes be woefully inaccurate. Tricky sidefooted short passes and such he does well, but when it requires putting some weight behind it, he struggles a bit.

23. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know it sounds crazy, but he has. he was the best left winger in the championship this season and is headed to the premiership. the guy has been simply amazing. a complete 180.

24. Dougdog

Dougdog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Long Island
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice Moves! I would have wanted to see a better cross after all that work. I think Dempsey is a great up-and-coming player and should contribute nicely this Summer. He is a great Dribbler and is impressive with the ball. I would love to see him using those dribbling skills to create chances for our Forwards.