Drew Rea at Glentoran

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by northern ireland fan, Dec 20, 2005.

1. northern ireland fan

Aug 10, 2001
    belfast
    Drew Rea, an american college player from california (a centre back) has signed as an amateur for my local club glentoran.

http://www.glentoran.net/mrport01sec.htm

Glentoran are the present irish league champions (northern ireland) and would play a level of football similar to english 2nd division (the old fourth division), despite being part-time players. If this guy is any good there is a chance he could get a game, as the 2 regular centre backs from last seasons league winning team (chris walker and paul leeman) are out for the rest of the season and our current centre backs are the injury prone former man utd and northern ireland international pat mcgibbon and a young 19 year old in his first season.

Glentoran are famous for being the club which produced danny blanchflower, billy bingham and also famously turned down a young george best for being too small ! (best was a glentoran fan as a youngster). This season the irish republics champions, shelbourne, beat glentoran in the first round of the european cup.

I would guess from this guys surname that he has family links to northern-ireland, Rea is a scots-irish name.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks for the tip as always!

A little information about Drew. I believe he graduated from Cal St.-Bakersfield, where he was a standout player (a defender) in his conference, this spring. He was listed as being from Redlands, Calif., and having originally attended Western Michigan. He was a second-team D2 all-American for the 2003 season -- not sure about 2004.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Good times!

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, Drew didn't stick at Glentoran -- got hurt during the trial just as things were going well. However, we might have some more news about him soon and will update as soon as I can confirm.

5. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I wonder if he grew up in Redlands. There's another pretty good player from there who's about the same age...