Drew Carey calls out all MLS teams on US Open Cup

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by JetCitySounder, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Drew Carey calls out all MLS teams

I agree with Drew Carey on this one. MLS Teams should take this seriously. I have no problem with them fielding younger, more reserve line ups at the start, like qualifying, but when you're in, take it serious! Win games, win trophies! That's how you get fans and build support and become popular. You win stuff! And if you think the USOC isn't big enough, just look at attendance for the last three finals. DC and Seattle have added major respect to the tournament in my opinion.

And you know what, if it takes Seattle winning the USOC three, four, five years in a row for everybody to take it seriously just so they could say we beat Seattle, so be it. If it grows the game, I'm happy. But not taking it seriously does nothing for the game, so knock it off. If you're not trying to win trophies and make you're fans happy, I really don't know why have a team

2. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey

Wait so you're telling me that even Sounders ownership is admitting that nobody gives a shit about this trophy?

It's too bad that Sounders have put so much emphasis on a competition nobody cares about.

3. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009

Yoshou you sound like a damned ignorant snob. If it wasn't for the surviving 10 of the first wave you would still be in USL-pro or PDL. SHOW SOME RESPECT TO YOUR ELDERS.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Very few MLS teams fielded reserve rosters in the competiton this season. RBNY did. The Crew did, although Rogers was on the field, etc. We know your team, RSL, took the competition seriously. They actually outbid Seattle to host the semi........should they have made it.

The fact is Drew Carey is simply wrong.

And that's OK. His team won it. He was celebrating. He was in the heat of the moment. That's fine. Whatever..................

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Awesome. This should be priceless.

The other reasons were, in alphabetical order...

Colorado Rapids
    Chicago Fire
    DC United
    Kansas City Wizards
    MetroStars
    Miami Fusion
    New England Revolution
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Tampa Bay Mutiny

Yes, boys and girls, those would be the teams that were all losing money, some at a greater rate than the Dallas Burn, because they were not playing in their own place. (OK, we can give partial credit to the New England Revolution, as per usual.)

BTW, you keep saying "city." No scorn for the Burn's ownership at the time? That would be -- oh yeah, we didn't have an owner until 2002. And when we did get one, well, just ask the Sporks fans how AWESOME the Hunt Sports Group is at running teams.
    Other than that small thing that I like to call "building the league's third SSS."

Yeah, I will smack Sounders fans because I have been a season ticket holder for 16 years, while 90% of you (if attendance numbers are to be believed) had other things to do during those years other than "watch live professional soccer locally."

Bravo to you clowns for turning out now and bravo for winning the Starfire Cup three years straight, but pardon me if it sounds a lot like you guys were born on third base and thought you hit a triple.

You know, people keep saying that, but let me point out that the first time the Burn missed the playoffs, in 2003, there were only two other teams which had never missed the playoffs, and those were the Los Angeles Galaxy and the Chicago Fire. Out of 12 teams that had existed up to that point, nine of them had missed the playoffs at least once in the preceding seven seasons.

And the Sounders haven't missed the playoffs for three seasons? [Golf clap]

...which is the reason why they built it with a 75-yard-wide grass field and permanent FC Dallas markings throughout...

[​IMG]

Idiot.

There's many things that worry me in this world. One of them is NOT what other know or care about.

You know why Pumas rolled out their youth squad? I'm not a mindreader, but I'm guessing that it's because Mexican clubs had made a habit out of clowning MLS clubs in the competition, including one MLS club that finished at the bottom of their group last year. I'm not going mention any names, of course.

[Shrug]

Pumas played who they played. Monterrey played who they played. But congratulations on finally winning a game south of the Rio Grande on only your seventh try.

Along with every other team not named "Columbus Crew" or "Los Angeles Galaxy."

Actually, without FCD, there is no PHP.

Wait, what?

This is like stinkbait for San Jose fans.

4 people repped this.
  6. JetCitySounder

JetCitySounder New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

That is just precious, coming from a Timbers fan.

To most of MLS, Seattle has won the US Open Cup three years consecutive.

But Timbers fans know that the US Open Cup is the SECOND piece of silverware Seattle has collected this fall - it will look GREAT next to the Cascadia Cup.

And you're just kidding yourself if you think the Timbers Army wouldn't be making a big deal of it if the Timbers had managed to win either one.

I think what you meant to call it was "a competition that we pretend not to care about because our hated rivals dominate it, but if we won we'd have to call in sick to work the next day."

7. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey

Eh, Cascadia? Yeah, we've won that genius. Look at the trophy again and you'll see Timbers etched in the champions list, but that's so 2010 - wasn't much of a big deal even then.

Oh Seattle. Like your first big boy pants, you're all so excited to wear huggies pullups. Everybody but you knows you're still wearing ********ing diapers.

Have fun with your toy accolades. Here's some more. Cut em out and tape them to your trapper keeper.

[​IMG]

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Colorado fielded all reserves for their play-in game in Chicago (The then first-team XI didn't even travel to the game, though Gary Smith did). Of course, facing two MLS teams just to get to the USOC proper and with the CCL coming their situation was a bit different than the Crew and Salt Lake.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

New England sent their reserves to KC for their qualifier.

10. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Soon, somebody will post some anime pics here.

11. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

And yet 16-year old MLS teams have no respect to 98 year old competition.

12. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

what proof do you have that San Jose, or Chicago, or Los Angeles dont have any respect for this tournament?

and furthermore, his point still stands, there was no need to put down what dallas has done for the league, and if it werent for their investments, the league woldnt be where it is today.

Just admit that Seattle only cares for novelty and winning. there was no ingrained soccer culture in seattle prior to the manufactured attempt in 2008. Otherwise, Seattle would've had great attendance in the USL years.

13. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just wanna see a team do the treble. MLS Cup, Open Cup, Champions League. Those should be considered the "big 3" trophies all MLS teams should be trying to win. When we go back to unbalanced schedules, the Supporters Shield will be like the NHL's President's Trophy, a nice recognition of regular season achievement, but nothing worth remembering unless you follow it up with a Stanley Cup. Especially because, with unbalanced schedules, the SS will no longer be a true indicator of the undisputed "best" team in the league. The Champions League berth attached to it makes it more important than the actual achievement of being first place in the league.

And Conference Championships are a complete joke until MLS revises its playoff format or awards Conference titles based on regular season results.

14. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"US Soccer Fans" is not a homogenous group. Some US fans want MLS to be like the EPL; some do not.

Congrats on winning the USOC.

15. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009

I would rather see someone win all 4.

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How do you equate not winning with not taking it seriously?

Seriously? This is the most ********ing aggravating, lazy, simpleton thinking there is. Sure, there are some examples of teams not making it a priority, but it's not anything you can paint with a broad brush.

"not taking it seriously" is the new "looked like more to me." Both bullshit, juvenile, brain-damaged cop outs instead of actually thinking.

17. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the Rapids were the only team that took MLS Cup seriously last year...right?

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder what stupid posted I wasted rep on for ElJefe so that I can't rep him for this one.:)

19. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

not true, there has been a soccer culture here for a very long time, and they would routinely draw up to 70,000 in the kingdome in the 70's. and of course we care about winning, dont you?
    I do agree that there is no proof these other clubs are not trying to win, it was a douche bag thing to say, but dont hate us Sounders fans for showing up to games and understanding the significance of winning the cup and competing in international play.

20. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

again, bringing up the kingdome at the 70s is nice, but it doesnt help when none of those people could be bothered to show up for the USL sounders. again, if there was a soccer culture up there, they wouldve been packed to the brim 5 years ago as well. this doesnt look like a soccer culture to me:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5e_N_BCPlM&feature=related"]Emerald City Supporters - YouTube[/ame]

i dont see a single match where the seattle sounders brought in 70,000 fan back then, and only drew 23000 routinely a few years.

not sure what your last statement means. we show up to games, and know the significance as well.

21. BROSUF

BROSUF Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

your waisting your own time analyzing this if you have never been to seattle for a game. soccer culture up here is real, attendance will soon average 40,000 + and continue to rise.

23. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, they didn't.

The NASL Sounders were one of the league's better teams attendance-wise for most of the 70s. But they didn't "routinely draw up to 70,000" fans. Which is not that surprising, since the Kingdome's capacity was well under 70,000.

San Jose had great NASL attendance, too. So did Minneapolis, which had higher attendance than Seattle most years. You could say the same about Tulsa, Oklahoma and Tampa Bay. That gives these cities some impressive soccer history from the 1970s. It doesn't give them some magical, continuous "soccer culture" that makes teams there instantly successful.

24. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

there you go, assuming again.
    and again, im glad that your team is doing well now. but to claim cascadia has a huge soccer culture over novelty teams and seasons is false at best. i'd believe that line if the USL teams had attendances like todays.

at best your "soccer culture" is nothing more than people recently embracing a new team with heavy marketing. add winning one trophy over and over again, and you have your current base. i'll believe your soccer culture when seattle starts having down year after down year.

25. BROSUF

BROSUF Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only thing SSFC Supporters are guilty of is supporting their side.

damn