Drew Carey calls out all MLS teams on US Open Cup

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by JetCitySounder, Oct 5, 2011.

1. JetCitySounder

JetCitySounder New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    After the Sounders won their third consecutive US Open Cup, I heard the postgame interview with minority owner Drew Carey. I'm paraphrasing, but basically he said this: "It's too bad that other MLS teams don't take this seriously. It's really an insult to their fans. We want to win everything because winning is how we show our fans how much we value their support."

Seattle Sounders - WIN EVERYTHING!

2. GalaxyFoLife

GalaxyFoLife Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Re: Drew Carey calls out all MLS teams

It's too bad Seattle doesn't take MLS Cup seriously.

1 person likes this.
  3. JetCitySounder

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Yeah, we'll get back to you on that later this fall.

4. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's too bad that everyone already hates Drew Carey. The Price is Right is a major step down in a career path from being one of the highest paid actors on TV.

I hope if he wants to take anything else seriously, it would be redesigning the entire set of kits for "his" team. I'm pretty sure that my TV now has the highlighter jerseys burnt into it.

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well the other MLS teams (collectively) don't have to "get back to you" on some future date based on future performance/results.
    Every single MLS Cup winner and every single MLS Supporters' Shield winner, in the past, meaning events that have already occurred, as in historical facts that cannot be denied, have been a team other than the Seattle Sounders. And actually, prior to three years ago those other MLS teams were winning plenty of US Open Cups also.

But congrats on (recently) dominating the trophy that soccer fans and soccer teams care least about (out of the ones that matter in this country, not taking into account shit like the Emirates Cup). Especially when a big part of that domination is having the big bucks to place bids and host pretty much every freaking game. Reeeal impressive.

Seattle Sounders - WIN JUST ENOUGH SO THAT YOU CAN TALK SHIT AND IMPRESS YOUR OWN FANBASE, WITHOUT ACTUALLY WINNING ANYTHING OF IMPORTANCE

(good luck in Champions League)

6. SeaM

SeaM Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those are the only two words anyone needs to see. But good job on trolling the forum with your interpretation of something that may have not actually been said - I see by the replies (from people who obviously didn't read your post closely enough) you have done your job.

7. JetCitySounder

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Hey, thanks for wishing us luck in the Champions League! Of course, winning this US Open Cup ensures that we'll be in the Champions League next year too - but you knew that, right?

I absolutely LOVE the hatred that you "old guard" dinosaurs keep bringing out. There really is no down side to the Sounders success. Winning silverware, bringing out record crowds week after week after week, basically showing you that you were doing it WRONG all those years - it's awesome watching you guys choke on your jealousy. Everyone hates the Yankees and Manchester United, too, and it certainly hasn't hurt their bottom line.

And when we finally get an MLS Cup - and WE WILL, even the haters know it's inevitable - what will you do then, huh?

Enjoy it while you can, because there's a new kid on the block and we're showing you how it's done. Pay attention or get left behind.

SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC - WIN EVERYTHING!

8. oofinalheavenoo

Oct 30, 2006
    Daly City, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What Drew said does have some truth to it.

9. JetCitySounder

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

OK, if you want exact quotes, as damn close as I can remember:

"It's too bad other MLS teams don't take this seriously."

"We want to win for our fans, because it's how we show them that we appreciate their support."

"If we play a game, we want to win it."

That's actually a pretty bullshit move, calling me a troll. There is actually real substance in my first post. Carey clearly and unequivocally called out the rest of the MLS to take the US Open Cup seriously. I'm sorry if you didn't like the way the message was delivered - wait, no I'm not.

10. JetCitySounder

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

One final thought before I turn in for the night - what is the downside in taking the US Open Cup seriously? US soccer fans continually lament that the American game isn't like the EPL. So why not EMBRACE the US Open Cup as England embraces the FA Cup?

Educate your fans about the competition's history. We don't need to CREATE a tradition, this one is already almost 100 years old.

If you think the FA Cup is a marvelous tournament, as virtually every soccer fan does, then you should be writing to your team's front office and urging them to try to win the Cup. It would be good for US soccer as a whole.

11. DancingKevin

DancingKevin Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Before there was Seattle there was Columbus fool.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvfOmGI7LJE&feature=channel_video_title"]The Crew Experience 1996.m2p - YouTube[/ame]
    First team to have 10,000 season ticket holders. First Soccer specific stadium. 3 Supporter Shields, 1 USOC and 1 MLS Cup. Without the Crew and Lamar Hunt you wouldn't have the success you have. But don't take my word for it, take the Soccer Don's word at 1:40
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8AFarwKgRg&feature=channel_video_title"]Dare to be Massive - YouTube[/ame]

12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma

Drew should be careful with his words imo.

I think RSL, FC Dallas and LA all took the USOC seriously. Chicago did so as well although they did have an easier path.

It isn't just Seattle that put out the effort.

13. ProdigalReality

ProdigalReality New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

New York is really the only team that shit on the tournament. The MLS treats the USOC the same way that every league treats its national tournaments. Reserve squads mixed with starters, until the final where it's usually all starters.

We've been lucky to take advantage of the USOC's system of "buy the home game." In 3 years, we've only had 3 road games during the tournament. 2 of them were in Portland. But as long as the USOC keeps this style, I don't care if the FO drops the cash to win the home games.

Their pockets are being lined pretty nicely with all the ticket sales, and team merch sales, they better be spending a portion of that money to help the team have better chances of winning. I'd be pissed if they were making bank off the fans, and basically pocketing all the cash without putting effort into something as easy as outbidding another team in the USOC.

1 person likes this.
  14. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland

I don't understand the vitriol coming from these comments. Fact is, not every team takes the tournament seriously. Wouldn't it help grow the game if every team did? Seriously -- why the hate?

15. SecludedMonkey

SecludedMonkey New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This.

16. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999

I think the label of troll probably comes from the fact that your headline doesn't match the substance of what was said, and by posting the thread title like you did, you are simply stirring the pot.

Yes, if you look at what Drew Carey ACTUALLY said, it is true - other MLS teams don't take this seriously. But other teams do, as was spelled out in other posts here. Drew didn't call out ALL MLS teams, just the ones that don't take it seriously. We know who they are. Some do and some don't.

1 person likes this.
  17. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

There is no downside to taking it seriously; however there are two logistical challenges.
    1) MLS teams have no depth, so in the past (and the league is changing this) you had game after game of league play, CCL, and USOC. There was no way to take all of them seriously. Now, the schedules are changing, the league gives allocation for CCL, and is altering the schedule for final rounds.
    2) The bid for hosting is a joke. That is not how it is done in the FA Cup (it is a draw). The lower divisions are left with a huge disadvantage on top of being a lower division. And only a handful of MLS teams can and will spend the money to host. So, if you are buying homefield advantage - makes it easier.

Furthermore, the teams in the FA Cup handle it the same way we do. I don't know why there is some idea they don't. The move reserves out there all through the preliminary rounds and only put starters out in the final stages. Just like MLS does. The difference: their reserves are better.

Finally, until the USSF gets a TV contract where fans can get excited about the tournament other than the handful of organizations that host a game; it will never get bigger on a national stage. I LOVE the USOC, but it is impossible to follow in real-time and I MAY get to see my team play once live.

So while I appreciate the call out to other MLS teams, depth and cost of hosting means it will always be behind CCL and league games and the lack of real coverage means it will be hard for fans to follow.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Thank you.

19. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

"It's too bad that other MLS teams don't take this seriously. It's really an insult to their fans. We want to win everything because winning is how we show our fans how much we value their support."

- Toronto FC. Voyageurs Cup Champions.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Just a heat of the moment deal.

He's passionate about his club, his fans, their accomplishments, etc. That's fine.

Seattle didn't win this competition because other clubs don't take it seriously. They won it because they were better than the teams they played in the tournament. Gone are the days when a large majority of clubs send out scrub "B" teams for USOC matches. Sure, all clubs do some player rotation these days.................but only a few sent out garbage.

The one that sticks out is the Red Bulls not even showing up in Chicago for a quarterfinal. I mean, the coach didn't even bother to go to the game. That was embarrasing. And the criticism leveled at RBNY for it from all quarters shows how attitudes are starting to change nationwide about the competition. Now that a CCL berth is on the line, the vast majority of clubs/fans/players want to win the sucker.

21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Someone get the power-washer! We gotta scrub all that sand out of your lady parts. :p

Seriously, why do BS posters pick every opportunity to rip on Seattle fans? Sure, a few of them are insufferable, but most are fine. And even those that are on the annoying side aren't any more pretentious than select supporters of other MLS teams. What gives? Jealousy? Hate? u mad?

22. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Maybe all the MLS clubs should call out Drew Carey and Sounders management for hosting their teams on such a crappy and dangerous surface.Many of the fouls last night were direct result of players not being able to judge correctly how far or fast they slide in a tackle situation.

1 person likes this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One wonders if their focus on taking the USOC seriously and their lack of success in the playoffs are related. Could the extra games be hurting their playoff chances?

24. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm going to qualify it.

Seattle won because they outplayed teams, and because they outspent them.

Home field advantage matters in MLS. It matters a lot.

This year, Los Angeles has the best record in MLS by a country mile, and some think the most dominant team in league history. At home, they're all but unbeatable. But they've only won 7 of the 16 road games they've played so far.

Vancouver, on the other hand, is a virtual lock for the wooden spoon after a dismal expansion season. They've earned just 22 points this year. Even there, though, 17 points have come at home, and just 5 on the road. All four of their wins this year have been at home.

Think about Seattle's path to the cup this year. Don't you think it was easier because they faced LA at Qwest instead of at the HDC? Seattle and LA played similar lineups, lineups that look just as "serious" to me; some starters, some subs, some scrubs. The only think LA could have done to match Seattle's "seriousness" would have been to bid more money for the hosting rights.

Seattle played well, yes. And I'm not saying they need to put an asterisk next to their threepeat or anything. They beat the teams on the field. But they also bought an advantage. And so when someone starts a thread saying the rest of MLS should take it more seriously by doing what Seattle did this year, what people hear is "why don't you spend more money buying home Open Cup games"?

1 person likes this.
  25. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Seattle played its earlier USOC rounds at its secondary stadium (Starfire,) not at Qwest/Centurylink. Point about home-field advantage still stands, though (we are undefeated in USOC play there.)

I would rather see seeding or even a random draw for hosting rights, but I'm still happy we won.