Dream Football League Qatar 2015

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Santista1962, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Now this is what I am talking about. If Santos, Corinthians or Sao Paulo refuse to participate in a tournament of this quality just to participate in that atrocity called "Libertadores", with this type of payout, they are complete idiots.

2. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    If it becomes legit I doubt very much any Brazilian team would refuse. I hope it does happen because this means confederations will have to step up especially Conmebol. When Arg and Bra teams get invited to participate it will literally kill Libertadores, CSA in a 48 HR period. There will be many side effects. This is the float promise to a world champions league.

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    A world champions league? Doubt it. It won't have anyone from Asia or Africa, mght get an American franchised team at best.

It's only a threat to Europe.

4. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    If it becomes a reality it will be pretty sure that it will expand to have reps from a variety of nations especially a team from the middle east since where it will be held. Its a bigger premium and will affect every league. You don't think Uefa will jump on this money wagon?
    Hopefully it will last longer than the forgotten ISL League from the early 60s here in the US.

5. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    It is actually possible to have a league of those sorts now that one thinks about it. It would mean not participating in some events but it is doable. For example, someone from Brasil could participate in the Brasileirao and the DFL at the same time. They will have to forego their state league, the cup and CONMediocre tournaments and I don't see no one complaining about that.

More or less, the same goes for European clubs. They could still participate in their national league. But they will have to forego their national cups and UEFA tournaments. Again...I don't think many will cry over that.

6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Are you serious? If a team from the Middle East was to play do you really think it would be a team representing the peopleof the Middle East? Course not. It would be a team full of Europeans and South Americans. So whats the point?

If you really think that the likes of Al Ain, Al Sadd, Al Hilal, Al Kuwait would get called up in their current guise then you would be mad.

7. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    It only makes sense that a club from Qatar, most likely the national champion, will participate.

That leaves 16 European teams and seven others. Those seven most likely would be a team from Japan, USA, two or three from Brasil, and an African and Oceanian representative.

8. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Do you think if multi billionaires from Asia minor were creating cup they wouldn't get a team they own or sponsor from their own country to participate? Why do you think teams like Barca,Arsenal and PSG get an automatic berth? Barca is sponsored by them. The UAE Sponsor Arsenal and PSG are owned by them.

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
  11. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ugh stop trying to make Qatar happen, FIFA.

12. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in another forum.

13. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Actually, it is not a hoax. A french newspaper was trying to claim it was. It just sounds like they are trying to water-down a great idea which involves clubs from around the world. Especially since this is a huge threat to the UEFA Champions League as well as PSG (they are next in being the "most popular club" once Barcelona's time in fame runs dry).

Times defends Qatar 'dream league' story after media storm

A world championship every two years...if we revamped the way our football tournaments run, this has promise.

14. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll leave it open to see how this unfolds.

15. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Les Cahiers du Football created themselves the name and the image "Dream Football League" 24 hours before their apparition in the Times' pages.
    http://www.cahiersdufootball.net/article.php?id=4812&titre=le-qatar-lance-la-dream-football-league
    Many of the precisions and datas featured in this satirical article are found, too, in the Times.

It is clear that at least one of Oliver Kay's sources fooled him with fake information.
    http://www.cahiersdufootball.net/article.php?id=4817 (in English)

What's very criticable in this story is the total denial from Kay and his bosses despite clear evidences: the name and the image. And their condescendance towards les Cahiers is not worth of their readers and the reputation of the Times.

guignol repped this.
  16. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    That doesn't surprise me coming from them. Les Cahiers du Football has been in bed with PSG for a good while. You have to realize that European football is mostly marketing and "perfecting" their playing style, regardless of whether it is the best in the world or not. And only three teams in the past 20 years in Europe can truly have claimed to have the best, and most efficient, football in the world.

PSG is next after Barcelona. The last thing they need is a worldwide tournament to obscure that. Study up on it. It is interesting read.

17. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    What do you mean ?

18. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Yes we need more breast support groups.....jokes aside, what are you trying to communicate. It looks like an attempt to rewrite a previous post.

19. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, look. This thread is closed unless and until this becomes an actual news item.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    bunga my man, this IS a real news item, though it probably belongs in the media section. the spat, scandal, spoof, whatever you want to call the exchange between the crazy CdF and odious oliver kay, has grown into a very hot subject, that has kept me so busy keeping up with it that i haven't even found time to come around BS.

21. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm talking to the mod of that forum to see if he wants it there.

My concern with this thread being here is that it's being used as a beard for other issues on the OP's agenda.

22. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we've got a ticket to ride.

Real Corona : Thanks!

23. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    So...the french site was trying to put words in his mouth to discredit his story which are obviously lies. Even more proof to never take a Frenchman's word on faith alone.

After all, this are the same people who claim they liberated themselves from the Nazis (And the Americans? Where that many American troops visiting? :ROFLMAO:) And when crap like that keeps happening, you have to fall in the habit of questioning everything they say. Especially the British.

Again, this is not good for UEFA Champions League, the French League or PSG. That club is next on the international spotlight and a worldwide Champions League of sort will definitely eclipse anything PSG could do.

Now...I am pretty sure sure that the Qataris wouldn't be paying 175 million for any team to appear. But they will still pay such a ridiculous amount of money just to participate which will make the money made from the UEFA Champions League, for winning it on top of that, seem like nothing. I have no doubt UEFA clubs will take it, play in their national league and declined to participate in UEFA competitions.

It is a monster UEFA sort-of brought on to themselves so they can't really blame anyone else for it.

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    take the time to go to those sources and you'll see that it's oliver kay who comes out smelling much unlike a rose.

the cahiers du football is not a "satirical' site. it is a french version of when saturday comes; funny when it wants to be but usually the summum of intelligent observation and analysis. to give you an idea of the level, you don't just sign up for their forum: you submit a 150 word article and are allowed to contribute only if this passes muster. you can like my posts or not, the fact is that mine was not accepted... i am apparently not cahiers material. but how to hold a grudge? the site is simply the best thing going on the net in french... and perhaps in any language.

now for the present brouhaha. the CdF published an article that even a moderately careful reading could see was humorous.

a day later, oliver kay published his article (and later in the day a second) where he gobbled the whole thing up hook, line and sinker. when he says he didn't steal it directly from the cahiers i believe him; he got the information third hand. but when he says his sources are legitimate and that he had done his research he is lying through his teeth. among the details that allow no doubt:

- the name "dream football league" and the graphic in the Times article were imagined and photoshopped by none other than the editor of the CdF, jerome latta.

- the number of teams, including the ratio of permanent participants and invitees, is exactly as dreamed up by the same mr. latta.

- once translated from sterling into euros you'll see the remuneration to participants also comes from the cahiers article.

etc. etc...

if you take the time to follow the tweet trail and do a bit of digging you will see where mr. kay went oh so wrong. i will do so for you when i have a bit more time.

for him to have placed a three page story in a major newspaper based on the most spurious kind of pseudosource is unprofessional. to use someone else's material without credit would be plagiarism... if the cahiers had meant their article as a scoop and not farce. but the worst is his shameless stonewalling and the snotty attitude he took towards those whose article he copied albeit unintentionally. mr. kay is considered by all reports one of the better sportswriters in the british press. which is fairly strong damnation of the rest!

as an aside, where have you read that the french claim to have liberated themselves from teh nazis? my father was in normandy in 1944 and to his dying day loved the french precisely for the gratitude they have always shown for what american troops did then. and every june 6th to this very day, every american grave in normandy gets a red rose. do those in arlington get like treatment?

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the post i deleted when i saw the thread was closed (and no rebuttal would be possible) was to ask you if you had ever actually read the CdF or even had any idea what they were about. because this is one of the most egregious claims i've read on BS in a good long while (and i hang out quite a lot on P&CE).