Dragon Stadium

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by BigNards, Oct 14, 2004.

1. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ah, the memories of shouting insults at keepers and nearly hitting Big ugly fat Tony where it hurts the most.

2. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The funny thing is, I happen to be in the library. Sometimes you could hear the crickets chirp.

3. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
  4. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    I read this too. WTF? The Arsenal higher ups have come out saying this wont happen at their new stadium.

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its insanity.

Don't ask FIFA and UEFA execs. Those boneheads care ONLY about maximizing revenue streams. That is all.

Ask the fans and the players - they will tell you how the game SHOULD be played.

Fake turf may be cheaper - but it warps the game and players hate it.

Change is all fine and good - but some things are meant to stay the same. Grass is one of them

6. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Hamilton Accies, a Scottish D1 team, they have turf. While it looks decent, the ball doesn't take clean bounces. However, it looks like it would be better than the turn at Dragon Stadium, but that isn't saying much.

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    while I'd normally laugh at Arsenal, this is the stupidest thing I've ever read.

8. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

This coming from a united supporter.

9. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    I guess laughing at Arsenal would only delay the crying you should do for United

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the big problems with FieldTurf is that it gets incredibly hot in this part of the country in the summertime, with the sun beating down on it and with 100-degree afternoons. Obviously, that wouldn't be as big of a problem in Scotland (or indoors), but there's still that whole "it still doesn't play like grass" thing to deal with.

Incidentally, guess which MLS team is going to be playing on a FieldTurf field with permanent football lines next year? (Relax, it's not us. It's an expansion team.)

11. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    I didn't realize that the San Antonio Earthquakes would be considered an expansion team. :)

12. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I've heard that field turf can be designed differently based on intended usage. What I mean is, since it is more like individual blades of "grass" rather then a continous surface like astro turf, they can change the pile height to create different kinds of surfaces. The issue we have here in the states is that they prefer a shorter pile for gridiron, and most soccer teams are using fields that are primarily used for pointyball. While in Europe they can choose to use a higher pile which would diminish the high bounces and ridiculously fast movement on the ground. Is this true or did I make it up?

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that is true.

But a problem is that after continued use, the blades of plastic grass get compressed and a lot less grass-like. Look at Giants Stadium. When they first started playing on the FieldTurf there last spring, it was very grass-like. Now, it's much less so.

Still an improvement over Astroturf, but still not as good as grass.

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Gotcha....but still Giants was designed for point ball and not soccer. They don't really care how the ball travels on the ground or how high it bounces, so the groundscrew doesn't pay attention to that. In Europe they will be scrutinizing how the field responds to usage and maintaining it differently.

15. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Hey, we now have the technology to make the 'Star Trek Replicators' a reality.

'Twouldn't be surprised in the least if we produced turf effectively better than real grass.

16. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they ever consider if climate or weather can have an effect on the playing conditions. Other parts of Europe such as England, Holland and Germany have rainy or snowy seasons than others (i.e. Spain, Italy, Greece) in which the ball plays differently on field turf in certain weather conditions. Also factor the ground conditions of each country such as below sea level Holland and a high altitude places like Bolivia and Peru.

Plus if countires like the ones in Asia would have different results from South America and Africa on how the ball is played on their field turf surfaces.

17. italchacao

italchacao New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin TX

I don't think it's insanity, they just don't know what they're getting into. Boneheads should have asked us :)

18. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    true, but keep in mind you and I are official experts on the suckiness of Dragon Stadium(Burn Bowl VI).