Draft speculation....

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Charge!, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
  2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I thought Solo was a junior this year, so she wouldn't be eligible for the draft. but Soccer America does list her as a senior.

And I'd forgotten about Orlandos too.

Talent wise, Wagner, Welsh and Solo are top 3, the question is whether Boston simply goes with Orlandos, bypassing Solo.

San Jose at #4 doesn't need a keeper, and would probably be looking for a forward to pair with

I'd think Atlanta would jump on Solo at #5, she's probably better than Scurry, and only needs playing time to prove it.

So that still leaves the Charge at 6 and 7.

The big question is how the foreign allocation for Liu gets used.

I'm tending to think a complementary forward to Pichon is what happens. This negates a move in the direction of Welsh.

Getting Zhang would also pair Zhao with a fellow country person, and Zhang would fit right into the Charge style.

If Smith is healthy, that's what I'd do. If Smith needs more time, then Welsh is where I'd go at forward, because she has more target skills, which would be helpful in the absence of Smith.

Orlandos would be a great addition for depth at defense if the above falls through.

And if you have to settle for Solo, that's an incredibly great position to be in.

3. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is how I reacted in February:
    1st: Tullock (Mid) - Umm . . . is she a defender?
    2nd: MF (Mid) - Too small.
    3rd: Alfiler (Mid) - Who?
    4th: Hall (D) - Defender, about time.

I'm no fortune teller. Last season, Mark seemed to draft the best player available, regardless of position. When Doris' retirement suggested that a defender be drafted.

Assuming the draft positions remain the same, with PHI drafting 6th & 7th, and Mark drafting on the principle of best player available, I see a field player taken, & the other one will be Solo.

4. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    PHI's 4th international

Australia's Amy Taylor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ozzy! Ozzy! Ozzy!

Oi! Oi! Oi!

5. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    You got a good sense of humor, Cachundo.....

:eek:

After 2 ankle surgeries, one a *reconstruction* of the ankle?? No thanks. I'd rather take Sun Wen and all her injury baggage instead. And wouldn't Solo be, if this is the other 'football' :p, a project?

The Matildas soccer team are only good for calendar shoots, it seems...11th place (of 16) in the '99 WWC would prove that.

Paul

6. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I think Julie Murray was the MVP in Founders Cup I, so Paul, them Aussies can play some, and speaking of Aussies, when does Casagrande graduate?

As to Solo being a project?

We all should be such talented projects.

Sounds like Paul doesn't want real competition for his girl Melissa.

My question would be would Atlanta bypass Solo, even though they have two, drafting Solo and using her as trade bait might be better than what's at 6.

Krikorian is plugged into the college players, so I trust him...

And we still have the college season to be played too!! Injuries, and player development !!

7. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I'd forgotten about Murray....egg now wiped off face

No, she's Matt's girl :D (her significant other..)

The idea is to win a championship, and you do want the best people stockpiled, but when nobody else beside Pichon or Smith scored more than twice this year, the more pressing need would be for a scorer, not a backup GK.

That was all I was saying...

Paul

8. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Solo had a 1.75 GAA in last year's Algaarve Cup, doing fine against China and Italy, less so v. Canada and Sweden. UDub (Washington) were shut out in a 2nd round game in the 2001 NCAA Women's soccer championship and made it to the third round of the 2000 shindig.

She did help the U-21's win the Nordic Cup the last 2 years. Her GAA has decreased with each year at UDub (1.64 in '99, .76 in '00, .68 last year). Had a Sun Wen-type injury (an adductor tear, not a strain, which is groin-related). She has been mentioned as the national team goalie of the future.

Presented devoid of opinion, mind you; this is for the folks who may not have heard of her until recently.

Paul

9. YOMITTS

YOMITTS New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    The Charge were what 3rd in scoreing.they need a mid feilder that it. So all this who should we pick and what player we should give up is nuts they will find the player they need even if they are already on the team. Let's not go nuts and rip the team apart They are the youngest team in the wusa and in time they will win the founder cup

10. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I fully agree the talent exists to win a championship, without adding players.

And Smith's presence creates goal threatening chances, and put Clemens back into the role where she just needs to finish.

And I'd be willing to wager the Liu replacement will also be an offensive player.

So what do the Charge need??

I say a 3rd central defender.

And if Moore got hurt, are you willing to go totally with Zabala?

If you have a shot at Solo, it'd be sheer folly not to take her. She's been ordained national keeper of the future, and with merit.

I could see where Moore would play 14 matches and Solo would play 7.

So this presumes picks 6 and 7 get used by the Charge. The 2nd pick I'd use for the 3rd central defender.

The speculation about trading to get Welsh or Wagner is driven by Smith's health. If doctors say Smith is recovered, then moves to get a higher draft slot aren't needed.

Still the Charge have ammunition to make moves, so speculating about what's possible is part of what the off season is about.

I'd wager the Charge use picks 6 and 7 themselves.

Now look at the full roster and reserves and you basically would have talent that can start in WUSA.

11. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who will pick Solo?

I think ATL will pass on Solo. They have the 5th pick, and I see them using it on someone who can challenge a starter on their defense. Or maybe for some speedster to come in late for parlow or Hooper, just for a change of pace.

Back-up GK is, indeed, not a priority for PHL. If Mark drafts on the basis of best player available, and not on need, and if Solo's still available at # 6, I can see Mark picking Solo.

As Adam pointed out, who would you rather have as # 2, Zabala or Solo?

Only NY needs Solo. I can see NY moving up from # 9 to # 6 to take Solo.

As last season's draft illustrated, the talent pool shrinks dramatically by the late first-round. NY needs a defender, but they'll draft Aly with the 1st pick, if they don't trade it. Their turn to draft a defender doesn't happen again until # 9. At # 9, NY will be in position to draft, at best, the 4th-best defender.

And Solo would be long gone by the 9th pick; either PHL or Carolina would take Solo if she's still available when their turn(s) come. NY will miss the boat on Solo, or on good defensive prospects, if they wait at # 9.

I can see NY making a move for PHL's # 6 pick to snag Solo. While NY's defense is in far worse shape than their GK situation, the probability that NY will become more competitive defensively will be better by using PHL's # 6 on Solo than on the draft's 3rd-best defender.

Defending, after all, is all about attitude. If NY defenders can't find that in themselves, they certainly won't find it in a rookie defender or two.

But what can NY offer that would interest PHL to trade the 6th pick? Aly & Milbrett are the only players worth trading for. And NY are unlikely to do that.

12. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On opening day next season, if the Charge defense remains intact, a midfield composed of Zhao, Tullock, Fair, & a healthy Kelly, Pichon on top alongside the 4th international, the starters are set. That means both first-rounders will be riding the pine. Even if only one of the first-rounders was a field player, she probably would not start. Hell, even if the 7th pick was a field player, she would definitely not start. Not with this lineup. So why not use a pick on Solo as a back-up GK?

Because of the premium on roster space, I still see Mark trading one or both first-rounders for a talented commodity. My wish-list, in terms of decreasing priorities, is:
    1. Aly
    2. Zhang
    3. Gulbrandsen

And if all else fails, package something for Welsh.

13. judymd

judymd New Member

Re: Who will pick Solo?

who would you have - jaime paguliara or melissa moore? In March 2001 I'm sure everyone would have said Pags. don't think that "big name" goalkeepers can't have their share of dark days.

14. Forget about Welch, Wagner or Solo. Here's the trade - We send both first round picks plus our second to New York along with Clemmons and the player to be named later from the Webber trade. New York gives us Milbrett. I have heard many comments from her, both official and unofficial, where she implied she would like to play for Philly.

15. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Why would New York trade one of the top 5 players in the league for 3 non-impact draft picks????? Who were the 6th and 7th picks in the draft last year? How did they impact? Were they even starters? The #4 pick was only a part-time starter for the weak Spirit. Get real, Aly and Welsh will not be traded for. They are the only two (and Orlandos from Portland) who will really impact next year. Solo is good, but so are all the current starting keepers (except maybe NY). But they could get a keeper without dealing the farm.

16. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I think the presence of Wagner would make Millbrett a very happy player.

The presence of a great player takes stress off other players, and Wagners presence will reduce the pressure they ahve to defend and make their Norwegians better players.

That's the beauty of Wagner. she makes other players better.

Just like Kelly Smith.

I see the WUSA draft just like the NBA draft, very shallow where you know for certain about a handful of players, then it's question marks.

Wagner and Welsh and Orlandos and Solo are my clear top 4, players I know can play in WUSA.

NY must take Wagner.

Boston needs Orlandos.

Now San Diego really doesn't need Welsh, so if any move is likely, it's into the 2nd slot, but are 6 and 7 and a player like Clemens be enough for the 2nd pick.

I could see Krikorian than use the 2nd pick to take Orlandos!!

I'd still like to use 6 and 7 to get Solo and a 3rd central defender.

I just would think Atlanta and San Jose would trade their slots to let NY get Solo.

And if Chargefans are correct about Millbrett, I'd give them 6 and 7 and Clemens and Mitts for Millbrett. And if they really wanted Benson instead of Mitts, It'd have to think real hard.

Put to get a player like Milbrett you need to trade equal talents, so we're speaking of Pichon or Smith.

But if NY is looking to move Millbrett, I'd be very explorative.

17. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    http://www.soccerbuzz.com/beat/02preaa.htm

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562132076

These are the 2 lists of 2002 Pre-season All Americans.

I don't know why soccerbuzz prefers Welsh over Wagner as player of the year??

There are 4 seniors present on BOTH lists, Wagner, Welsh, Orlandos, and Solo

Christine Latham from Nebraska is on soccerbuzz, while Devvyn Hawkins from Santa Clara is on Soccer America.

Assuming Wagner, Welsh and Orlandos are picks 1,2,3, it would appear to me San Jose would prefer a forward, meaning Latham would be best available senior forward??

If not, surely Atlanta would like her since Nerbaska plays a very direct game, which might be a reason San Jose would look elsewhere.

Now if you want a DEFENDER then 2003, with Reddick and Pryce, you get a really good one then.

18. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    speculation of Milbrett

I agree. As for Milbrett's comment(s) implying a move, for all we know, they may have been made out of frustration from such a dismal season.
    The esoteric view is that, in purely salary terms, a founder is worth two 1st-round draft choices.

But because of a talent such as Milbrett, NY will ask for a premium of one defensive starter of their choice.

Another premium NY & PHL may be amenable to, is to receive two starters (of PHL's choosing), of which one of whom will be a defender.

Any other premium asked for by NY for Milbrett will be too rich for the Charge to acquiesce.

As Real Madrid have shown by acquiring three FIFA Footballers of the Year (Figo, Zidane, and this season, Ronaldo) - anything is possible.

But the devil is always in the details.

19. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    :eek: :D

The league won't let that happen, though; they'd scream bloody murder even more than raising a stink about Pichon (can someone clue me in on that, why the league didn't want us to bring Pichon aboard?)

NY is one player away from total ennui setting in up there with its fan base. All they've got is Millie; imagine how the attendance would be if she wasn't in the 2003 mix.

It's a nice thought, with Smith, Pichon and Millie, but maybe Millie has an ego which matches her shoot from the hip style. She's not afraid to call a spade a spade...

Paul

20. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Didn't Welsh win the Hermann last year? Maybe they're thinking she'll repeat...The real monkeywrench that gets thrown in will be if Wagner has a down year and Welsh tears things up. I think all of us will be checking out the women's college soccer forum to pass the time in an offseason which is already interminable as it is :)

Paul

21. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    There will be a college player like Welsh almost every year.

But Wagner is a generational player.

You need to let your eyes tell you the truth, not the stat sheet.

Wagner is a blend of Tullock and Kelly Smith, and she makes those around her better.

Welsh is a finisher, somewhere between Wambach (the the high end) and Fotopolous (at the low end).

If you had Welsh paired with Pichon, you wouldn't be crying.

Back to Wagner and Welsh, I think about the only way Wagner does NOT end up in NY is if a trade to San Diego happens, where San Diego gets Wagner and Welsh gets to play at home in NY, SD adds Smolak and Tietjen to the mix.

Back to the Charge, you sit there and wait for offers to come your way, and you move if the offer clearly is exceptional.

I still say 6 and 7 get used by the Charge

22. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I was kind of wrong-guessing there....

Welsh swept both the Hermann and the M.A.C. awards last year; maybe they thought Wagner's Santa Clara winning the title was enough spoils :eek:

Paul