Draft Countown: Your Thoughts, Your Picks?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Chicago1871, Jan 10, 2007.

1. soccerfreek421

soccerfreek421 New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    chicago suburbs
    Still need that RM. Not sure if I missed a pick but I still say that we need a forward and an attacking RM.

2. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    I'm okay with it. I liked Andy, but I believe our future is Barrett, Role and Carr. Johnson and this new kid add depth at forward. Trading Andy opens an SI slot for Mila on the right. :D

3. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Nate Norman (M)- ND

Three-time monogram winner • will look to play a significant amount of time in the wide area of the midfield • excels at moving up to spearhead the Fighting Irish attack • makes good decisions and knows how to beat defenders one-on-one • great knowledge of the game • brings experience, instant offense and excitement to the Irish lineup • has appeared in 59 career matches with 10 starts • five goals and six assists for 16 points. AS A JUNIOR: Played in 22 games, making five starts • third on the team with nine points coming on three goals and three assists • tallied two game-winning goals • scored a goal in the 4-1 season-opening victory against No. 7 SMU • named to the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament all-tournament team as he notched the game-winner in a 1-0 victory over Boston University and assisted on the game-winner in the 1-0 overtime win against Saint Louis • scored in a 3-3 tie versus West Virginia • assisted on a goal in a 2-1 overtime win versus Providence and in a 2-1 loss to Cincinnati • named to the 2005-06 BIG EAST Academic All-Star Team • fifth on the team with 30 shots • earned a monogram.

4. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nate Norman (M) from Notre Dame is the pick.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buzz put him in the "Should do Well" rankings.
    Another left sided player. Wonder if this is a backup for Mapp for possible US duty or a sign Mapp will be moving into the middle where he was successful last season? For the record, I hope it signals a permanent move to the middle for Mapp.

6. Schoen Time

Schoen Time New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Houston, TEXAS
    Jerson played for my men's club team in Houston while he was a senior in high school. We play in the top men's league in Houston. Pretty competitive league of ex college, pro, and semi pro players. The kid scored 9 goals in 8 games and then went off to college.

The kid has finishing skills. You will be surprised, but I'll bank on him making an impact in the not to distant future.

7. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Phew. I was getting nervous having a Nate-free team for awhile there.

8. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Dave just couldn't help himself, could he?

Yet ANOTHER leftie? By my count:

Bedrossian, Guerrero, Gutierrez, Johnson, Mapp, and now Norman. Did I miss anyone in the "leftorium?"

9. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bedrossian won't be on the team, Guti doesn't play on the left anymore, Mapp might be in the middle now, and Johnson may be gone.

10. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    He's actually backup for Ryan Johnson who backs up Plotkin who backs up Guttierez who backs up Bedrossian who backs up Guerrero and Mapp on the left.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    :mad:

11. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I had heard about Johnson possibly moving, but do you have a source for the Bedrossian rumor?

In any case, I'd STILL rather that they'd pick up a righty, all else being equal.

12. soccerfreek421

soccerfreek421 New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    chicago suburbs
    Well, assuming Mapp moves to the middle, we need about 400 backups for the left side. And honestly, do we need a right midfielder? OK, obviously I'm joking. The obsession that Dave and Guppy have with lefties is suspicious, but maybe we will be getting a right mid soon, hopefully a quality, 90 min player who can help on the attack (not sure how many of you saw that wwe were tied for 6th last year in goals, that has to improve) and also help nail down games (16 goals allowed after the 75th minute). Still some holes but there hasn't been anything in the past to prove that we should not trust Dave's draft choices.

13. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Guti hasn't played that position in a long time.

14. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Agreed, but all things aren't equal. If the only right wingers are shit, then it's better to get talent.

15. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I thought I read somewhere that Monteiro can play outside right as well, but that might have been here. That would make him a straight-up replacement for Jaqua.

Later,
    COZ

16. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Meaning he's a tall oaf that can't stay on his feet defensively, "plays 6" smaller" than he is, and has a 2" vertical leap, just like Sir Nate the Tall? :D

J/K... In any case, while I trust Sir Dave to draft well, I reserve my right to wait and see with his picks.

17. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Yeah, 'cause our [snicker] incumbent starting RMF, Logan Pause [/snicker] is just SOOO much better than anything coming out of school...

BTW, why is that guy still on the roster again?

18. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Versatility.

[Insert Khan joke "Yeah he can suck at many positions"]

Obviously he's not the solution at any hole and I'm sure Dave has no plans to use him as a starter, but as a versatile back-up he's decent.

19. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I don't like giving up Herron for the second pick in the draft. Herron played great for us last year, and it sucks to give Columbus a good striker.

20. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Yeah.... I preferred Gray's versatility over whatever Pause can provide, but that ship has sailed many moons ago. But at least Logan has his throw-in shot blocking skill set. :p

21. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And we're on the clock ...

22. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mike Banner (M/F) from SIU-E is the pick.

23. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Please, let's stop with the praise for a lazy bum who scored most of his goals off of PKs. Ship him out and get some playing time for the youngsters who have a desire to score.

24. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    We traded him for a defender. Correct me if I'm wrong, but defenders aren't usually known for their scoring. :rolleyes:

25. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not so thrilled about last year. Picking Calen Carr and Jeff Curtin over Josmer Altidore was a huge mistake I think.