Draft Countown: Your Thoughts, Your Picks?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Chicago1871, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Probably Chad Barrett? Crew needs attackers, and Barrett's value fits here.

2. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    I read some guy's draft preview that said the Fire would go after a bunch of GA players as we don't have many needs and our depth is pretty decent. Seems like he knew what he was talking about.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I would guess that the Fire are intending to make some moves or changes this season if they're going to give up a guy who is regarded is as the third forward on the depth chart.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colaluca is gone to the Rapids at #6.

5. NCFire

NCFire Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Chapel Hill
    I wouldn't mind losing Zach for a #2 pick, straight up. Guppy said we're not giving him a new contract. We retain his rights but this way, at least, we get something of value for them

6. betes

betes New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Did you hear Rob Stone say Sarachan told him we have "a lot of roster moves" coming up, or something like that. Wouldn't make sense that we get rid of Sanneh to free up cap space and get a higher pick out of it?

7. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    It's also interesting that the draft is right in the middle of the transfer window. If we were to trade Barrett, it'd might signal using our DP slot on a target forward type guy. I'm guessing McBride isn't an option this season, but who knows who they have their eye on.

8. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    We're back on the clock.

9. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Either Barrett or Herron might fit the bill, now that you mention it. Rolfe is the only untouchable forward we've got. Thiago is somewhat expendable with Mapp's (and even Plotkin's) emergence, but probably not worth a #2 pick.

Can we make a t-shirt that reads "I traveled from Columbus to the SuperDraft and all I got was this 15th overall pick" for the Crew fans in attendance?

Later,
    COZ

10. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I really like the Soumare pick:

1. [Perhaps most importantly] He's GenAdd.

2. He's a big guy with a lot of physical tools, but he still makes some mistakes.

Methinks we might have a Gooch-type player in-camp. And we could've done a lot worse than signing him.

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jerson Montiero as a Project with Hope from Buzz's recap.
    Seems like Sarachan is drafting some size after losing Jaqua (and with speculation on Sanneh and Jimmaugh possibly on the chopping block and Brown nearing the end of his career). Smart move, in my opinion. The Fire have been a larger team for some time, and seem to like that build.

12. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Good God this DraftTracker sucks. Picking a forward with the #8 pick certainly makes it look like the PTBNL is Barrett or Herron.

Later,
    COZ

13. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I am a UAB fan and I'm shocked. Can't believe Jerson went in the first round.

14. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Yeah, sure seems like it more and more. My money is on Herron. Dave doesn't seem to care for him much.

But easy on the Draft Tracker! It's working pretty well for me. What problems are you having?

15. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Dave sure did start him a lot.

16. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Jerson didn't show up for at least five minutes after the first post about him in the thread. Plus, it doesn't auto-refresh.

Later,
    COZ

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    We Crew fans are guessing Rolfe or maybe Herron as the player to be named later. Rolfe is more or less a local for us. We let Rosenthal go so we have an open SI spot. The team has been promising to bring in an veteran forward. I wouldn't think Barrett qualifies.

18. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Jerson Monteiro

Height / Weight:
    6-0 / 170

Position:
    Forward

Birthdate:
    04/28/1985

Hometown:
    Houston, Texas

High School:
    Robert E. Lee HS

Junior Season (2005)
    Third-Team All-Conference USA forward ... second-leading goal scorer on team with five ... played in all 18 matches, starting 17 ... scored goals against Evansville (9/18), then-No. 5 California (9/24), East Carolina (10/7), UCF (10/28) and FIU (10/30) ... assisted goals against East Carolina and Alabama A&M (9/9) ... has a pair of game-winners with goals against Evansville and UCF ... leads team with 32 shots and 13 shots on goal.

Sophomore Season (2004)
    Played and started all 19 contests ... team's leading goal scorer with seven on the season ... also had three assists, 28 shots and 19 on goal ... SOG percentage of .679 ... scored four goals in team's first six contests ... notched tallies against C-USA foes Charlotte (9/18), Cincinnati (10/2), East Carolina (10/16) and DePaul (11/6) ... preseason All-Conference USA selection after leading UAB in scoring.

Freshman Season (2003)
    Named to the Conference USA Third Team and All-Freshman team ... played in 20 games starting 18 times during season ... led UAB with eight goals and 19 points ... also tallied three assists and 44 shots ... led team with a .591 shot-on-goal percentage and a .182 shot percentage ... tallied first career goal against St. Francis ... recorded a hat trick (three goals) vs. Centenary ... also had two assists against East Carolina ... had career-high six shots against Centenary.

High School
    Was a four-year letterwinner at Robert E. Lee High School ... considered as one of the top players in Texas coming out of high school ... led team to state finals ... was the furthest any high school in the district has gone in the state soccer playoffs.

Other Soccer Info
    Named to the Olympic Development Program region team in 2002 ... also member of the Angolan National Team.

Personal
    Full name is Jerson Venancio Monteiro ... parents are Francisco and Teresa ... younger brother of former UAB standout and all-conference forward Flavio Monteiro ... born April 28, 1985 ... majoring in political science ... chose UAB over Wake Forest, UConn, South Carolina and Florida International.

19. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Due to injury and his rotation mostly... My memory might be fading, but I don't recall him starting in the playoffs.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave has earned the benefit of the doubt during draft time. He is an excellent scout of talent, it based on his track record, he knows talent and potential when he sees it. Plus the Fire really could use a big man up top. Seems like he might have more upside than Jaqua did too.

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a chance in hell Rolfe will be let go.

22. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Weird. For me, Jerson showed up before it came up here. The auto-refresh would be nice though, yeah.

23. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    That explains why the Crew would want Rolfe, but not why the Fire would have any interest in trading him. As for Herron, in my opinion he could be replicated by a number of foreign signing possibilities for the Crew. Barrett would make much more sense to me, as young talented American strikers are not easy to come by.

24. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it is herron not either rolfe or barrett. I can't believe its rolfe, dave and guppy aren't that stupid. Yesterday on FSC when talking about forwards he mentioned rolfe and barrett but not herron.
    As far as jerson is concerned I'll give dave a pass as he's been pretty sharp in the past drafting players. He does seem to pick guys that no one else considered to go that high in the draft. I wonder if jerson would have lasted until pick 21.

25. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Man, UVA players are dominating the first round.