Draft anyone?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    So far we are 10 participants:

Diez
    heroearaucano
    La-Máquina
    OT_CAPITANO
    PDG1978
    Perú FC
    poetgooner
    thebigman
    tLB Odiseo
    Tom Stevens

We are already enough to shoot the game, although I think/I hope to add a couple of participants more in these next few days.

In the next few hours I'll open the main thread with the established parameters.and designate the start date.

Tom Stevens and thebigman repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. JJMM1

JJMM1 Member

Junior
    Colombia
    Feb 19, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Can i play???

4. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    You're welcome.

5. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Maybe another draft?

- A World Cup retconned (58, 98, 2002, etc)
    - Oldies draft (pre 1980s)

Sammer's Hammer, PDG1978 and La-Máquina repped this.
  6. Sammer's Hammer

Feb 21, 2013
    Hello everyone. How are y'all? Long time.

And would love to play the next draft!

7. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Here, similar to Brazil 1950, we could run a parallel World Cup with some interesting editions:
    - Full atended: 1930 or 1938 or 1954
    - Including missing stars: 1958, 1974, 1998
    - Modern WCs: 2002, 2010, 2018??

We can have the Initial whistle in a specific hour to give everyone the same opportunity to pick the stronger countries (only 1 from Pot 1)

Other drafters (as myself) just take part on it for fun, to complete 12 teams.

Drafting only oldies players, up to the 1970s or pre-TV era (pre 1958).

Or something different, that an All-Time or Contemporary Draft

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would play in a draft that is up to recent time as my knowledge only really goes back to the late 80s/ 90s onwards

OT_CAPITANO repped this.
  9. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    #684 msioux75, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Maybe a retconned WC 1998, considering missing stars as Romario, Redondo. Gascoigne, Ginola, Le Tissier, Kazu Miura, Cantona, Giggs, etc. Evaluating players form, in the period 1997-99.

In the Pot 1/2 will be the likes of Brazil, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Netherlands & England.

Everyone can pick just one of the better 4 or 6 seeded countries, plus another non-seeded team, to have at least 12 teams. Considering each drafter can manage two teams (squad = 18 players).

Each team will be allowed to lineup the same XI, no more than two times. We can considering red cards or cummulative yellows to make it more interesting.

La-Máquina repped this.
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    WC 1998 would be ok by me for another of your Retconned World Cups msioux (or 1994 for that matter).

I would take part in a pre-1980 straight all-time draft too probably if that went ahead at some point. Or somewhere around that point anyway (I wouldn't be against a starting point so we didn't go so far back into history too in theory, so that we weren't picking too many players we can't form some sort a visual idea about in terms of how they played, as it could be hard to judge them and envisage the teams maybe - normally not a lot of such players are drafted anyway so maybe they still wouldn't be though).

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #686 PDG1978, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Just to expand on those ideas, maybe even an imaginary extra 'Special Edition' World Cup of 1996 could be a good alternative (being able to consider form between 1995 and 1997, and perhaps thinking in terms of it starting a couple of weeks after/before Euro 96?). It could be better for more players and teams, and it'd also be more of an unknown situation because there was no real World Cup that year, but msioux's previous 1950 version in an actual World Cup year did work great to be fair.

For the other idea, I wondered about a 40 year window that could be for 1946-1986 maybe, or for players with a Date of Birth between 1920 and 1960. But again not to try and object to an idea about earlier players being allowed. I did think going up to 1986 or a Date of Birth of 1960 does incorporate a bit more of modern football too, to maybe make it a bit more inclusive for more drafters. But extending it 10 years earlier to 1936 or a Date of Birth of 1910 would make it more 'old-timer' oriented at least I guess, whether of not the end date was brought into 1976 or Date of Birth of 1950 or not. Maybe people will prefer to allow All-Time up to a certain date like msioux suggested anyway though, although I know some like thebigman will probably wait for later drafts - I guess what is possible though is to do two with the second one starting where the first one ended so we would have an 80s to present day draft too following on (a 'Modern Day' draft if you like).

msioux75 and thebigman repped this.
  12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would have a go at an olde draft if that’s the plan

always good to research older players

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Cool, yeah I remember you did come up with a few gems of ideas when we did the Sheep Drafts together, from the old eras (even though I was the one meant to be covering that period more!). I won't say the names here now in case it gives them away for this next draft haha, but you know some things about some of the old stars for sure.

Like I say though I think maybe doing 2 separate drafts, with the latter one being mid 80s to today or just 1980-2020 say, could be a good plan the more I think about it (unless others hate the idea obviously then it wouldn't be a good plan at all!). msioux should have the final call anyway, and do something he likes himself obviously too.

thebigman repped this.
  14. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    By now, is two votes for an Oldie AT draft (pre-1990)

And one vote for World Cup 1998 (evaluation peak, could be for 1996-2000 era)

15. OT_CAPITANO

OT_CAPITANO Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Feb 16, 2020
    #690 OT_CAPITANO, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    I dont mind participating in a pre-1980 draft and i second the idea of a second one starting from 1980-present

But like someoke said earlier to not go so far in the past thay we cant imagine or visualize what these players would play like

16. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't mind anything.

17. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    I've never played a sheep draft game and I'd like it very much.

Pre or post-80 : possible.

18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Maybe I could take part in a straight pre-80 (or pre-90, pre-70, whatever) draft run by msioux75, but take the role of @lanman so that we could make the post 1980 version a Sheep Draft then.

Unless lanman wanted to make a comeback himself for it of course!

Excape Goat, msioux75 and wm442433 repped this.
  19. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Ok cool.

PDG1978 repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The more people the better

with less than ten all the teams are too good with little variation in terms of quality

21. Sammer's Hammer

Feb 21, 2013
    I'm fine for any sort of draft!

22. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I think, the pre-90s is more viable to get enough drafters.

Just give me a couple of days, since I'm really busy with the work from home.

thebigman repped this.
  23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think for the modern eras Sheep Draft I would suggest it should be 1980s onwards, since that gives more scope for more great players (and players in general) to be included and it widens the options for criteria too, plus Premier League/Champions League era Sheep Drafts have already been done on the Manchester United section.

But I guess it would be ok to make them both overlap a bit anyway, rather than one starting where the other stops, if you think you still want to make it pre-90s even if we do a Sheep Draft too. Alternatively one could be 'Black and White TV' era and one 'Colour TV' era I guess, but yeah I don't think that's necessary and I think a bit of overlap is fine, especially when one will be a Sheep Draft and not a straight draft anyway.

I will wait until later in the year sometime before kicking any Sheep Draft off anyway, after the draft you arrange and also the other 'Retconned' World Cup have been completed.

24. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    hahaha!!! Black & White TV vs Colour TV, sounds fine!!!

I was thinking, in an era when WCs were played by 16 teams in contrast to WCs with 24 or 36 teams. Meaning those last ones, show the development around world football, more competitive countries, etc.

But in the case of pre-80s, maybe should be banned Pele, also Cruyff / Di Stefano, perhaps, to make teams competitive. Unless, we considering pre-90s, to include Maradona & Platini, so more teams have their own legend in.

PDG1978 repped this.
  25. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    First of all I must say that I'm not interested if it's less than 16 participants (it's a golden rule for me).
    Now...