Draft anyone?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am curious to know!

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    We're in the last round of group games now in this:
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/1989-2014-fantasy-world-club-cup.2012816/
    And actually, including a 3rd place game, there will only be another 16 games to go after the groups are completed (so the equivalent of one more round of games, since we are doing one-legged knockout games).

Maybe lanman is already planning another Sheep Draft? But even if not, after that fantasy club world cup is finished I'd be willing to help with setting something up (or even running a Sheep Draft; like I say I would think lanman would want to do that as he has done every year - I'm not sure if he might even prefer for that fantasy club world cup to be completed first or if he's just not got round to planning it yet or perhaps decided not to do it this year).

So, yeah as we'd normally have a Sheep Draft before long I'd probably give that chance to happen first but we could maybe turn to other ideas if we haven't run out of them (I think we were joking about a 'C' Draft?!).

Excape Goat repped this.
  3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I apologize for not contributing to the Fantasy World Club. I really appreciated your effect.

Lets see what Ianman does about this thread.

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ok mate cool - the last 16 of that FWCC should be decided soon so feel free to contribute your ideas/votes again for any/some of those knock-out matches of course.

5. Bestie

Bestie Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Count me in.

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  7. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Sorry folks, not got too much time at the moment.

8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Okay. Let's see if we can come up with an idea.

9. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Wife's due date is 27th April so no draft for me in the next couple of months! Good luck to everyone on the latest one when it kicks off.

Excape Goat repped this.
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Maybe the baby can pick in a similar manner to the Prediction Octopus! Stick two names to different teady bears and see which one is grabbed first!

No, in seriousness I can see why you'd not have time to participate. Have a good time with your son or daughter, and when they start to walk you can try to entice them to become the next Jimmy Johnstone! (not really suggesting this as an aim tbh! Although I know sometimes such aims do come true like for Marian Bartolli's dad etc!).

frasermc repped this.
  11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  12. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What is a draft game. I see it happening on the forum but a little confused by whats going on lol

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    This was the original Sheep Draft mate:
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/sheep-draft-main-thread.1305113/
    There have been various other drafts too, like this for example:
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/one-player-per-nation-draft-registrations.1997264/

In the Sheep Draft, people have to pick secretly to specific criteria each round and try to avoid players others are picking in order to get their player. A lot of the other drafts just involve people taking it in turns to pick a player (like the second link) although there have been other formats too I think - definitely there was an Auction Draft where players were put up for sale and people had to send secret bids.

14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ooooh, sounds like fun. I've hosted a couple of these games before, but offline lol. Online ones are probably better since you can look up names and stuff.

Is there one coming up soon?

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think there should be one within a few weeks/months by the looks of it yeah, so probably keeping an eye on this thread is your best bet. It's good to have new players like you interested!

16. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Congrats. I supposed you are a first time dad.

As a father to a future father, there is nothing better in life than your own kid. Having siad that, I had plenty of time on the internet after my first child was born. She slept at 7 PM. And I stayed home.... no TV.... too loud.... wife got tired. What did I do? I surfed the internet from 7pm to 2am. I might see you here all the time from May 20-soemthing onward. :)

frasermc repped this.
  17. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    2nd one for me mate. :thumbsup:

Excape Goat repped this.
  18. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    I've been thinking for a while about another variant on a Sheep Draft. This time, it would be restricted to players who played largely before 1950 (with some cut off point, probably around birth date) and also restricted to recognised formations of the time (such as Pyramid, W-M etc).
    Anyone interested?

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It will be difficult, but I will do it.

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm sure I'd give it a go (if thebigman wanted, with him, otherwise alone) if there were enough people wanting to.

Just to throw out another couple of options if it made people more inclined to join (I might prefer these just because I like to try and know about all the players I draft, but it could well be enough people want to play with the original proposal anyway or wouldn't be more tempted with the adjustments):
    - Maybe extending it up to 1960 (so formation wise, I suppose that would allow 4-2-4's, modified WM's with deep-lying centre-forwards, lop-sided 4-3-3's even perhaps) so more players we know and can see would be available while still giving scope for us all to have some from earlier times. I guess then young players in 1960 would be excluded by birth date, or would be picked based on form before that time.
    - Or maybe just having a few rounds (two to four picks perhaps) that required pre-1950 players and allowing the rest of the picks to be made up of all-time players in 'normal' rounds. Then fitting the final XI into a pre-1950 formation (perhaps allowing a deep-lying centre-forward to be picked, as well as the centre-half's role being dictated by the chosen formation).

If it went ahead as you originally planned lanman, then perhaps before or after (depending when you'd be ready and available to run it) I could have a go at running one of the regular all-time Sheep Drafts. If you wanted to then you could swap roles with me and I could run that while you partnered thebigman, or provided tips for him? If he wants though then I can team up with him for your idea or one of the suggested adjustments above. I remember I owe him an all-time type Sheep Draft partnership anyway!

21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    My second idea could even be amended to a 'WM Sheep Draft' with all teams in that shape (with or without deep-lying centre-forward).

But just throwing some ideas out. Happy to go with the original idea and participate too.

22. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I'll like to join.

In case some mammal appears, it will be a very difficult exercise. Maybe @Perú FC or another friend will like to make a team together.

Perú FC repped this.
  23. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd probably sit out if it's pre-60s. Don't have nearly enough knowledge about that period lol.

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Maybe best to leave something until after the summer now (September maybe)?

It seems like there is less interest but maybe that changes if some posts are put on old threads?

If lanman wanted to kick-off an old era draft first that's cool.

Like I say, I probably could start something afterwards/before or even alongside if it wasn't a Sheep Draft:

- If lanman is ok with using his format and people still wanted it, I could have a go at a normal all-time Sheep Draft (got a couple of ideas for rounds, and sure I could think of enough!)

- I could even start a 'no criteria' Sheep Draft just for fun to see how that turns out (I'd only need to take the picks and not set any criteria as every player would be available until picked or banned)

- I could start another Auction Draft with a twist in that I'd be putting all the players up for sale, rather than taking nominations. I'm thinking if 10 drafters entered then I'd put 20 players up for sale each round, and each drafter would get one depending on their bids. There could be 11 rounds with each drafter able to secretly nominate two rounds as their bonus ones where they would take two players if they could afford them based on their bids and remaining budget. And then at the end the two players not in drafters first XI would be deemed to be subs (we had fun nominating lesser players last time, but I'm thinking all the players I put up for sale could be borderline world class at least this time).

- A straight World Cup draft (we did the Sheep Draft version, but we could just have a World Cup version of a straight draft as think a few people were waiting for another straight draft to come round - snake draft format but allowing different versions of players from different years is what I'd be thinking). I could join in with this one I guess, but might not unless we seemed to have too few drafters, since I already did the Sheep Draft version.

So, maybe Excape Goat and others could say if any of those ideas might be ok. And then if enough wanted to take part I'd be ok to kick-off one of them sometime later this year.