Draft 2013 - interest and selection thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by spejic, Sep 4, 2013.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I usually run a draft every fall. We've had a bunch of drafts this year, so the usual players might feel drafted out. If so, that's fine.

But if you want to play, say so in this thread. Some people have shown interest in a Saturday Night Live-type skit draft, and that sounds interesting to me. Other ideas:

- video game draft
    - TV commercial draft
    - draft idea draft

Any other ideas are welcome.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Video game draft is an idea I like, though perhaps there might not be enough interested parties to make it worthwhile?

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd go for it but would definitely want to iron out the details very clearly first. I haven't owned a console in my adult lifetime for one so my selections would be skewed towards PC at some point but how much (or if I even worry about it) would depend on the theme.

To throw another idea out there: how about a video game music draft?

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm a pure PC gamer too.
    Not sure if it's really a big deal, as many of my choices will pre-date (modern) consoles.

5. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had thrown these out before but here are some ideas:

Draft a band draft - basically draft a vocalist, drummer, bassist, guitar, producer, etc/

Draft a movie crew/cast - same idea but with actor, director, supporting, etc.

Pop culture draft - draft the top icons of pop culture. A couple of examples: Tony the Tiger from Frosted Flakes or the logo from a famous TV show.

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draft a Surreal World House cast.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm in a similar boat, having stopped at PS2 (I will one day soon buy an Xbox). But if we were to include PC and arcade games, I'd join.

A vidgame music draft would be cool, too, long as it stipulated that the music be known from the game mostly (which might be hard to do).

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, I'm almost always up for a draft, but most of these suggestions are way out of my league. Video game music? I never played video games, well, except for Pong, and my little brother cleaned my clock and I've never gone back. I like Felix's band idea. Inspired! But I would suck at that...

So, let me make a suggestion, we draft an album, song by song. Of the vinyl variety. 2 sides, 5 tracks per side. You only get to pick one real life Side 1 Track 1 song. Each slot on your album must be filled by a song on the same track/side as it is on it's corresponding album release.

9. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree that some of the options are slightly esoteric, but you've seen Saturday Night Live, right? Monty Python? MAD TV? The Kids in the Hall? Chapelle’s Show? In Living Color? Skit shows should have a broad reach among draft players. And it's eminently YouTubeable, which makes research and presentation easy.
    Those would be tough for me. I'm an old fogey yet I've never owned any vinyl at all. There may be some on BigSoccer young enough that they haven't owned an album of any sort. And I don't think I can even name a single musician from a band that doesn't have the musician's name in the band name, outside the guys in The Beetles.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You should do a song sheep draft. The soccer sheep drafts worked very well in the Beautiful Game, and they are very different from the traditional drafts.

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Agreeing on sheep in a song draft could be a difficult process?

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How do sheep figure in here? I'm not familiar with the terminology.

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Its kinda as much like a scavenger hunt as a draft.

The administrator of the draft announces the requirements for a round-- say, "A tune written or cowritten by Kid Ory." Everyone has say 24 hours to PM a choice to the admin.

If two or more people choose the same tune-- "Muskrat Ramble"-- it is disqualified, and those people have a deadline for a new choice. If the second choice-- "Do What Ory Say" is also chosen by more than one person, a third effort is required. If "Blues For Jimmy Noone" also fails, the two or more people who tried it have to pick a choice from a list of the crappiest tunes composed by Ory; a list suggested by the successful drafters. (Did Ory compose any crappy tunes?) These choices are called "sheep" (as in "sheep in wolf's clothing," maybe?)

So then, in a song draft are we going to be able to agree that a given nominee is actually a sheep? If the category is "Hit songs about animals," someone will nominate "Muskrat Love" as a sheep, and someone else will object that a Willis Alan Ramsay song can't be a sheep, and yada yada yada...

Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Okay, count me in on that, if it starts up.

15. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That sounds tricky to run, and won't the game just be people googling the answers?

With the The Show guys on the Daily Show and some skit series starting up with the new fall season, I've become re-interested in that.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why? Lets say one round the criteria is Bob Dylan songs. Drafted songs might include Like a Rolling Stone or Get Stoned. "Sheep" songs might include Saved or Wiggle Wiggle. Of course it would be at the draft manager's criteria, but posters could veto it if for example they think Saved is a good song.

In the current soccer draft the rule is we need three vetoes to overrule a sheep. There was an argument as to whether Erick Wynalda was too good to be a sheep.

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Ok. I think its a lot easier to get consensus on Wynalda, but as long as there's a magic number the opposition has to reach...

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The qualifications shouldn't be so limiting as to make it a trivia contest. The trick is to guess whether, in a John Lennon draft, so many people will avoid "Imagine" and try for "Across the Universe" as to make "Imagine" available...

19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the public part of traditional drafts is the best part - pickers have to explain and defend their positions, outsiders can watch and comment, there are things to see even when it isn't your turn, and you get exposed to new shows/albums/whatever the draft is based on. And while soccer players have objective statistics to quantify their quality, there is nothing similar for cultural artifacts. In a regular draft, you have ~10 data points on which you can vote, but can a sheep draft last long enough to produce that when it's just a private game?

20. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Definitely in for Video Game Draft. I like the rock band draft as well, although I would probably be terrible at it.

21. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good enough. Let's get this started.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If it's vidja games, I'm in. Let's set the criteria and get started!

23. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  24. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested in a video game draft...

25. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about a Video Game Character draft? just a thought :) @Ombak see...I can follow rules hehe