News: Dr. Cugat's Waiting Room: The Injury Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by .Azulgrana., Jul 31, 2013.

1. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    We'll go with @inswinger's suggestion for this one to celebrate his new modship.

The lone injury report to come out of pre-season so far:

Shouldn't be much, I'd expect he'll be ready to go on the Asian tour next week.

2. barcabob1899

barcabob1899 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's one thing that always worries me about the preseason, injuries.

3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent idea for a new thread; great place to put all injury news and recovery predictions.

Right now I think we need to add Puyol - not sure what the latest return prediction is but whatever it is let's not rush him (or allow him to rush himself) - I want him available in March, April and May not right now. And I want the other CBs (esp. a new one and Bartra) getting as much PT till then alongside Pique or Mascherano.

The other injuries of note would seem to be Affelay and Cuenca as they are delaying their expected loan outs or sales. What is the latest there?

I think that is it for players on first team contracts.

If others are OK we might also post about Tito's health updates here - or maybe just keep the Tito specific thread up for that?

Also we could discuss injuries and recovery predictions for B teamers (like Grimaldo), or we could just do that in the youth thread?

4. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    from @barcastuff:
    Tello has been training apart from the group today. He's recovering from a thigh muscle injury he suffered last week against Lechia. [latdp]

5. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read that Tello and JDS were both cleared to play against the Malaysian all star squad. Pedro and Alba not available for that game, doing recovery work, but neither sounds serious with Pedro's knock just being called a calf contusion. (source TB article based on club's site)

6. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cesc picked up a knock and will most likely miss Spain's game against Ecuador. Maybe the game against Levante too, according to MD.

No official reports yet though.

7. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Gil, I think it would be a good idea to put the Barca B injuries here too if you want. Some of us follow the team so those news wouldn't be out of place here at all, in my opinion.

Fabregas' availability for Levante is up in the air at the moment, but he's likely to be back in time for the trip to the Calderon on the 21st for the Supercopa first leg.

JDS is good to go again as is Tello, who was called up for the Spain squad for their friendly in Ecuador on Wednesday.

Cuenca is out until mid September and Puyol until sometime in October from what I recall. Afellay's return is still unknown because of his ongoing muscle injury issues, but he will likely be offloaded on loan by September 3.

8. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Muscle strain problems in the pre-season ... no es bueno :(

10. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #10 unclesox, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    Okay, the first squad list for the first official match of the season has been announced by Tata.
    18-man squad, four players discarded: Sergi Roberto, Montoya, Dos Santos, Oier

So our list begins with three players starting off the campaign in the good Doctor's recovery room. :(

Afellay
    Jul 17, recurrence of Jan 8 injury (right quadriceps / torn hamstring) length of recovery unknown # of weeks (quote from Afellay's agent).
    J1 (H) Levante

Cuenca
    Jun 7 (arthroscopic surgery, right knee)
    Out 3-4 months
    J1 (H) Levante

Puyol
    Jun 18 (right knee surgery to remove a cyst) Expected to miss 3-4 weeks (Puyol quote)
    J1 (H) Levante

Will try my best to keep this list updated.
    Feel free to point out any injuries I've missed. Please note that I'm only listing players who are confirmed missing games because of injury.

Gilmango, .Azulgrana. and os_mutante repped this.
  11. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I thought I heard that Afellay had a recurrence of his injury this summer, but I can't find anything about it on the internet.

unclesox repped this.
  12. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    yea, i seem to remember reading a quote from his agent on twitter about a month or so ago. can't find anything now though.

unclesox repped this.
  13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    NYfan repped this.
  14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Afellay to have surgery on a chronic muscle injury in his right thigh.
    The club will make a medical statement after Thursday's operation.

15. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    19 players named for Atletico Madrid Supercopa first leg.
    Adriano suspended, Sergi Roberto and Oier discarded.

List of injured players remain the same.
    Afellay's entry updated.

Afellay (2)
    Aug 22 (surgery to chronic right thigh injury first suffered on Jan 8 and recurred on Jul 17) Statement to be made following the operation.
    J1 (H) Levante
    ScE-1 (A) Atlético Madrid

Cuenca (2)
    Jun 7 (arthroscopic surgery, right knee) Out 3-4 months
    J1 (H) Levante

Puyol (2)
    Jun 18 (right knee surgery to remove a cyst) Expected to miss 3-4 weeks (Puyol quote)
    J1 (H) Levante

16. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really hoping we will get at least ~40 appearances from the captain.

17. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If El Capitan is available for 40 games I'll be happy but I'd prefer he only play in 20-30 of those games, enough to stay sharp and relevant, but never more than once a week. Not only will that keep him fresh and un-injured (we hope) but also allow minutes to whomever emerges as our 4th (or better) CB, whether that's a new signing (please) or more minutes for Bartra or someone from Barca B (Bagnack or Gomez).

18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Affelay had his surgery and is expected out for approximately 4 months, if we are lucky he is healthy enough by December/January that he could either be loaned out (or sold) then, or help us should we have any depth issues up front due to injuries:
    This Thursday, Ibrahim Afellay (27) underwent surgery to correct a chronic muscular injury in his right thigh. The operation, carried out by doctors Antoni Dalmau and Ricard Pruna at Barcelona Hospital (L’Hospital de Barcelona), was successful. The player is expected to be out of action for approximately four months.
    see official site or totalbarca

19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, here goes, and this is all from transfermarkt, which is a great place to get an overview of youth rosters, positions, age, estimates of market value (controversial but still good for overview purposes), etc. Here's the B roster: http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/fc-barcelona-b/startseite/verein_2464.html

Here are current injuries: Two ACL tears from early this year with unknown return dates but typically 9--12 month recovery, first by Sergio Juste - RB, January 2013 - so return perhaps between October and January; second one by Grimaldo - a real rising star LB, February 2013 - so perhaps return between November and February.

Two shorter injuries by our Portuguese pair who joined last summer from Sporting Lisbon: Edgar Ie - CB - has a muscle injury (one month out total) and expected by mid September; Agostinho Ca - DM - has an undisclosed injury, perhaps ligament recurrence (three months out total).

20. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Afellay's status is updated following Thursday's surgery.
    Messi enters after being left out of squad list v Málaga.

Afellay (3)
    Aug 22 (surgery to chronic tendino-muscular right thigh injury first suffered on Jan 8 and recurred on Jul 17) Expected to miss 4 months.
    J1 (H) Levante
    J2 (A) Málaga

Cuenca (3)
    J1 (H) Levante
    J2 (A) Málaga

Puyol (3)
    J1 (H) Levante
    J2 (A) Málaga

Messi (1)
    Aug 21 (bruised hamstring, left thigh) day-to-day
    J2 (A) Málaga

21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ScE-2 (H) Atletico Madrid
    Adriano enters the list after being left out of squad.
    Messi receives medical clearance.

Afellay (4)
    Aug 22 (surgery to chronic tendino-muscular right thigh injury first suffered on Jan 8 and recurred on Jul 17) Expected to miss 4 months.
    J1 (H) Levante
    J2 (A) Málaga
    ScE-2 (H) Atlético Madrid

Cuenca (4)
    J1 (H) Levante
    J2 (A) Málaga

Puyol (4)
    J1 (H) Levante
    J2 (A) Málaga

Adriano (1)
    Aug 25 (strained hamstring, right thigh) day-to-day

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Messi (1)
    J2 (A) Málaga
    Aug 27 Named to squad after receiving medical clearance.

22. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #22 unclesox, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    J3 (A) Valencia
    Adriano receives medical clearance.

Afellay (5)
    J1 (H) Levante
    J2 (A) Málaga
    J3 (A) Valencia

Cuenca (5)
    J1 (H) Levante
    J2 (A) Málaga
    J3 (A) Valencia

Puyol (5)
    J1 (H) Levante
    J2 (A) Málaga
    J3 (A) Valencia

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Adriano (1)
    Aug 25 (strained hamstring, right thigh) day-to-day
    Aug 31 Named to squad after receiving medical clearance.

Messi (1)
    J2 (A) Málaga
    Aug 27 Named to squad after receiving medical clearance.

.Azulgrana. repped this.
  23. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    barcastuff ‏@barcastuff51m
    Official: Busquets has thigh muscle discomfort, he will undergo more tests tomorrow #fcblive

Busquets could be out for the upcoming games of the Spanish national team. World Cup qualifier against Finland on Friday. [catradio]

Martino: "Mascherano and Busquets with problems? Mascherano got a serious knock on his ear. Busquets could be worse, thigh muscle tear."

24. barcabob1899

barcabob1899 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    After playing with Argentina yesterday. I assume Messi is match fit? Is he 100% yet? I feel like we never know when he's fully healed or just playing with slight knocks.

25. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there was a scary graphic showing how Messi had only once played the full 90 minutes since he picked up his injury last Spring (and that was to play Bayern on a bum leg). Since then he has recently logged a few full games which is a huge relief. I hope that means his injuries are truly behind him but I fear that means he is not quite 100% fitness wise (though close to it). I also suspect he always has minor knocks in terms of bruises.