DP Thoughts

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by markspence02, Apr 5, 2010.

1. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As frustrating as HSG can be, they have been among the minority of owners willing to sign a DP. (See Schelotto for Columbus and unfortunately Denilson for FCD).

With the new DP rules, I have a hunch that the league will be more willing to sign Americans as DPs. (finally, they have recognized Donovan as a DP).

This comes a year too late for FCD - it would have been nice to retain Cooper at the salary he deserved - as a designated player.

If DF continues his high quality, we may be forced to sign him to a DP contract this off-season.

Just a few thoughts.

2. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is the next signing is a DP (lots of stock pilled allocation money to cut the cap). He'll have half a year to learn, then another to prove he's DP worthy. If DF can continue to pull the strings, I say he's DP worthy which will put us at two for 2011. With Cunny getting old but still in form I'm really impressed with these options, of course that's only if this is the plan of the brain trust at FCD.

3. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Cooper never deserved a DP salary. Not enough bang for the buck. In hindsight even, he is struggling to play at second division german and english clubs while we did much better as a team after he left.

I think the team is much, much better overall than when they signed Denilson. This team is good enough and athletic enough now that if a DP were signed, that player would actually be effective. Personally, I would love to see us sign a 500K right mid and a 500K forward, two lower cost DP players. Those signings would shore up two of our three weakest positions (central defense is the other), and would put us in MLS Cup contention. Skilled, attractive, attacking play and a team that is competing for the Cup would help attendance and grab attention. This would be a better team to watch than Columbus (which rely too heavily on Schellotto free kicks to score than buildup so it isn't as attractive), and I think it would have a better impact on attendance here than it has had in Columbus.

I don't know if any US players fit that description... maybe Holden if he is free, or Beasley.

4. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SIGN TATU and HUGO SANCHEZ!

5. Hoodwinked

Hoodwinked New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Dallas
    I've always liked Matias Vuoso, striker for Santos Laguna. i know we'd never sign him, but it would be cool to see him in OUR stripes.

6. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about Cooper. He deserved a HIGH salary, but not a DP salary.

I agree with Holden and Beasley... maybe Charlie Davies too?

I'm also in my 3rd season of wishing we'd sign Martin Palermo as a DP. Time is running out, but I think right now he'd tear MLS up. At Boca he's averaged 2 goals every 3 games... I dream that this could be a goal a game in MLS with some good service.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know. I've watched him the past couple of weeks, and he looks done. He's 36. I would have grabbed him when he was 33-34 (Cunninhgham's age), but 36 is a bit much. I get the sense that the only reason he's out there for Boca is that they're helping him break their all-time goalscoring record. He's been one goal away for a while now it seems. Once he does that, he's gone. They're 18th in the Clausura, and are garbage. Circling the drain trying to get a has-been a record. Apparently he and Riquelme don't get along, but nobody seems to get along with Riquelme. So Palermo is probably available. I just don't think he'd help us.

Palermo is slow as molasses. He'd seriously slow down the proceedings. Right now we're most dangerous with Cunningham and Ferreira trying to use their pace to unlock the defense.

FCD should focus on getting young South/Central American players of the Fredy Montero mold with their available DP/cap room. MLS fans seem obsessed with getting all of these has-beens like Robert Pires or Henry. Those guys will sell jerseys..........but they'd last about 10 minutes during an MLS summer match in Dallas. But getting the Fredy Montero's of the world requires scouting and actual effort. Emilio led DC to the supporter's shield in 2007, and also a US Open Cup title in 2008. Who'd heard of him prior to DC acquiring him? Turns out DC had been scouting & trying to get him for years. Who'd heard of Christian Gomez prior to DC acquiring that guy.....who subsequently led them to their 2004 title? I can't see FCD doing that. We'll end up spending a fortune on a "name" like Denilson, who'll be useless to us.

8. 85FinMiles

85FinMiles Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Below 20
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's no reason to think that now that Hyndman is calling the shots. It's my opinion that Hyndman was the goal since HSG bought the team and every coach they've hired before him was a temp, which would explain why they kept promoting the assistants. HSG wouldn't be worth the price of the bullet if they brought their savior in, then shoved roster choices down his throat. They MIGHT be stupid, but they're not THAT damned stupid. I'm not 100% on the bus, but until a Hislop is brought in under Hyndman, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

9. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    How much did Dallas got( money wise to spend )? For the transfers Toja and Cooper? With those two transfers, Dallas should have not problem getting at least two DPs.

10. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as far as Clint Eastwood's comments on Palermo, I actually haven't seen him in 2010, so maybe it is too late. But Schelotto is slow and 36 too, and he makes a big impact still. But definitely... getting him at 33 or 34 would have been true genius.

But Maradona did bring him back into Argentina's sqaud for the final WC qualifying push, so you can argue he was still at a top level recently, but Maradona isn't known for his managing and selection...

11. brunomarmos7

brunomarmos7 Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Sorocaba
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Palermo would be a good name, for just one reason: He doesn't play soccer, he score goals. And IMO that's all we need now. We have a nice midfield, nice wingers, a nice speedster striker (Cunny), but nobody tall, strong and with a hard-nose to score goals for us. Nobody to fight in a header, to pull the defenders, to claim the defense attention. Palermo does it, and there are others examples of players like him that do it (now I can remember: Adriano, Afonso Alves, Robert [Palmeiras], Washington [São Paulo], Loco Abreu, JP Angel, Óscar Cardozo, Bendtner, Tore Andre Flo, Kanu, Kevin Kuraniy, Luca Toni, Cristian Vieri...)

But I agree with you that we need better scouting in South America. The gold mine in the World of Soccer is here, undoubtly. You just need to come, search, and take it cheap.