Downton Abbey - Season 2

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by HouseHead78, Jan 9, 2012.

1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else watching this little slice of ridiculous fun?

My review of last season is here...

And last night was the two hour premiere of the second season.

2. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Yup. Never heard of it til yesterday. Now they got me. Im in on Downton Abbey. Sybil? GRRR.

3. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I hate Downton Abbey - but I love it too.

A Great War period costume soap opera from BBC? Even I'm not gay enough to like this. Except I do. :mad:

4. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still hate that I like this show.

Last night, there was a whole controversy about a stranger showing up, claiming to be the heir to the family title - the one who had sunk with the Titanic....OR DID HE?!?!?!? (insert dramatic orchestral stab here)

He shows up as a Canadian soldier / burn victim so no one can really tell if it's him or an impostor. Everyone has to reexamine their current relationships and decides if they believe him or not based on what his return would mean to them.

It's all just so impossibly "All My Children" in fussy costumes and pretty estates. Why do I like this?

Cause of this bitch here...

[​IMG]

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my copy of season 2 on blu-ray is shipping today ahead of tomorrow's release. can't wait to see what happens next!!

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been catching up with this at my house and we're not about half-way through season 2. I can see why you'd say Maggie Smith's character is the mainstay. She can make snake mean about as fun to watch as anybody out there.

There are some wobbles here and there, but it's been fun to watch.

I like the way they've made the O'Brien and Thomas characters complicated enough that they're not just trotted out in front of the camera to make trouble for the others.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm through with season two and eagerly awaiting season three.

and as this entire season has now aired on TV and has been available on Blu-Ray for several weeks, this thread should really have an [R] on it so we can discuss what happened

8. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The broke aristocrat asked the Dowager about Sybills husband. She kept skirting the subject. He asked, in reference to the New Years Pheasant hunt

"Does he shoot?"

"Yes, but I dont think Pheasants."

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay we're only one episode behind now.

I have to say that I agree with folks who think the first season was better. Some of the plot devices used in Season 2 have a very high WTF?! factor.
    Show Spoiler
    Temporary amnesia and temporary paralysis being the biggest two.

Which doesn't mean it hasn't been a lot of fun to watch. Did anybody else find themselves kinda-sorta hoping the Spanish Influenza would take out Cora? I think she's a bit of a secret, if unintentional, root to much of what's wrong in the house, what her being a constant dupe for O'Brien and having presided (with a simper) over that vipers nest of daughters over the years.

Oh, and also I just watched the movie Hanna, in which a secret agent turns his daughter into a lethal weapon and targets her at his former boss, who is a very bad woman.
    Show Spoiler
    In the first 20 minutes or so of the movie, the girl is "captured" by the evil former boss, who sends in a double to interview the girl. The girl promptly snaps the double's neck.
    The double is played by Lady Mary, wearing a red wig.

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clJK3KBqdlE&feature=player_embedded"]Catsterpiece Classics Presents - Downton Tabby - YouTube[/ame]

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wife and I finally got onto this after finishing off a few other shows.

And really, we're at a loss. Neither of us can think of a show that went from "undeniably excellent" in season one to "laughably bad" in season two. Every trite, thoughtless, meaningless cliche in the book's been thrown at us already, and we still have an episode to go.

So disappointing. We had extraordinarily high hopes after season 1.

HouseHead78 repped this.