Downing would snub Man U

Discussion in 'Middlesbrough' started by Eddie26, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=329927&cc=5901

'Downing would snub OT switch'
    Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing insists he would not be tempted by a move to Manchester United.

The young Teessider has enjoyed a fine season, cementing his place in the Boro first team and breaking into Sven-Goran Eriksson's senior England side.

His impressive form on the left wing in the Barclays Premiership and UEFA Cup has led to inevitable speculation about a move to a bigger club, but the 20-year-old is not getting over-excited.

Asked whether he would be tempted if Sir Alex Ferguson came calling in a fans' question-and-answer session on the club's official website, Downing said: 'No, not really, I would like to stay at the club.

'If they (Middlesbrough) ever wanted to sell me I would have to go - but I'd stay forever,' he said on the club's official website.

The 20-year-old believes the future is bright for Boro with a host of other local youngsters breaking into the first-team ranks.

'I think you do put more into it when it is your hometown team. The fans play a big part, if they are behind you shouting your name it gives you a lot of confidence - and when they boo you it doesn't.

'If people like Danny Graham, Stuart Parnaby and Andrew Davies get their chance then we'll be a good team.'

Downing was handed his first senior cap by Eriksson in the friendly against Holland in February and with only Joe Cole ahead of him in the pecking order, he hopes to build on that appearance and help solve the well-documented problem of a lack of left-footed Englishmen.

Various players have tried and failed to slot into the England left-midfield position with Paul Scholes, Steven Gerrard, Ashley Cole, Alan Thompson, Wayne Bridge and others proving unsuccessful in the position.

'There aren't too many natural left-footers about, so if I can just get Joe Cole out of the way I might have a chance!'