down town Adin Brown

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by TONES FC, Nov 3, 2003.

1. TONES FC

TONES FC BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 3, 2003
    mass
    When will Adin Brown recieve the praise he deserves? If it was not for Adin, we would not be here he is just as vital as twellman. The midnight riders should have given mvp to him. what do the midnight riders know anyways. Revs games are just something to pass their time in between pats game and the suckbag red sox. go back to fenway!!

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree, without Brown this team wouldn't be as good as they are. But the same can be said for Sharlie, Cancela, and Noonan. But I will say that Twellman shouldn't have gotten the MOTY award this year.

And who really cares about the Pats and Red Sox when a Revs game is on?

3. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Re: Re: down town Adin Brown

You left out Wolde.

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Welcome newbie.

First of all, Adin Brown is an integral part of the team and the Revs would not have enjoyed that success they've achieved without his efforts.

Second, the MOTY is not just voted upon by members of the Midnight Riders, but anyone who so desires to register and cast a vote. The Man of the Match voting is used to determine the Man of the Year Award, and has been expressed in other threads, might differ from those criteria used to determine a "Most Valuable Player."

That being said, Brown earned enough points to finished just behind Twellman on MOTY voting, the final standings as provided by pwkyes:

Taylor Twellman 31.0
    Adin Brown 29.0
    Shalrie Joseph 16.0
    Pat Noonan 15.0
    José Carlos Cancela 14.5
    Brian Kamler 13.0
    Rusty Pierce 12.0
    Joe-Max Moore 10.0
    Carlos Llamosa 7.0
    Wolde Harris 6.5
    Joe Franchino 5.0
    Jay Heaps 5.0
    Steve Ralston 4.0
    Chris Brown 3.0
    Daniel Hernandez 1.0
    Jorge Vazquez 1.0
    Kyle Singer 1.0

It was that close. Had Brown picked up a few more points perhaps he could have caught Twellman, but the votes weren't there to push him ahead.

The Magpie

5. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    How is it that Tony Frias III, aka TF3, didn't get a single vote?

Who knows what would have happened if he actually played in a match? :)

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he never will!

7. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Way to be openminded and inclusive.

8. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Election Day

You know, if it were only up to the Riders, he probably would have gotten it. But we're more democratic than that....as Magpie pointed out "...the MOTY is not just voted upon by members of the Midnight Riders, but anyone who so desires to register and cast a vote"

So to everyone who complains about the MOTY award this year -- you had your opportunity to vote after every game. Maybe it would have made a difference if you had. Better luck next year. :)

amy

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Election Day

i don't like the system. The main reason is that Twellman can have 8 awesome performances and Sharlie can have 20 good performances, and Twellman will win. The Man of the Year should be a seperate vote, where instead of voting for the top 3, you vote for the top 5. Revs fans who vote in the POTM vote watch everygame, they know who the best player is. The Riders should change their system.

10. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, we have seen this kind of sport bashing on here before...."suckbag red sox"??? Give me a break. I support ALL of the Boston/New England area sports teams, and am proud of it. What I am NOT proud of is my peers/fans passing judgment on other fans/sports other than soccer. I am not a member of the Midnight Riders, but I associate with them and know them to be a dedicated group of fans. It is not up to them alone who gets the man of the Year award. Tones FC, a word of advice: before you decide to openly criticize a fan base, get your facts straight and your attitude adjusted. As someone who has posted exactly ONCE, I doubt you truly understand the depths of our dedication as fans of and participants in the beautiful game. As for the other sports, have respect. I have said it before, and I am saying it again: Boston is a multi-sport venue, and no one has any right to criticize or condemn anyone for following more than one sport. I am a soccer fanatic, but also a fanatic of the other sports. And I find it fun to run into members of the other Revs fan groups at other sporting events: it just shows we are supporting ALL of the area teams. In closing, please stop the sports-bashing. For one thing, it isn't necessary, and for another, this is a soccer board. And cut out the personal digs; it will earn you no points and no friends, if you even attend Revs games in person.
    Spazz

11. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Election Day

But you're assuming that 20 good performances are more important than 8 awesome ones, and that's a debatable point. I can think of situations where the 8 awesome ones trump the 20 good ones, and vice versa.

Really, the biggest problem that the current MOTY system suffers from is that people don't vote every week. Voting for 5 instead of 3 might help a bit in getting a more accurate rating. The most effective thing though is increased participation. Perhaps the Riders can cut a deal with the Revs to publicize the vote on their site?

12. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    As the one who set up the MOTM website and tracks the votes for the Riders, perhaps I can chime in here.

Brown lost a few games because of his concussion and there was also a time in the middle part of the season where he didn't play up to his usual standards. This is borne out by the Man of the Match points as shown below (3 points for first place finish, 2 points for second, 1 for third):
    Game Date Points
    2003-04-13: 3.0
    2003-04-19: 3.0
    2003-04-26: 2.0
    2003-05-03: 1.0
    2003-05-14: 1.0
    2003-05-17: 2.0
    2003-05-24: 2.0
    2003-05-31: 3.0
    2003-06-14: 3.0
    2003-08-23: 2.0
    2003-09-13: 2.0
    2003-10-04: 2.0
    2003-10-11: 3.0

A stronger game from Adin in July or August and he would have been MOTY. I think a good case could be made for either Adin or Taylor. The current voting mechanism, while not perfect, is pretty good I believe.

That said, if the Riders want to change it to allow 5 votes or some other method, I would be glad to take care of it.

13. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Before someone asks, these were Twellman's points:

2003-04-13: 2.0
    2003-04-26: 1.0
    2003-05-10: 2.0
    2003-05-14: 3.0
    2003-05-17: 3.0
    2003-06-28: 2.0
    2003-07-04: 3.0
    2003-07-12: 3.0
    2003-07-16: 1.0
    2003-07-19: 2.0
    2003-07-27: 3.0
    2003-08-16: 3.0
    2003-10-04: 3.0

His hot streak in late June/July accounts for most of his points.

14. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see the headline now:

"Frias Starts, Upper Deck of Gillette Stadium Collapses"

15. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    After Digi tried to take out Cancela, I was (almost) hoping that Nicol would put in a stiff (obviously, TF3 came to mind) and instruct them to clatter into as many Metro players as he could before he got tossed.

Ok, I wouldn't really want to see the Revs play like that. But I've never been so tempted.

As for Twellman, if he had been healthy, he would have run away with the award, at least by current scoring methods. I'm not saying he's the best player on the team, but the fact that we had so many deserving candidates (TnT, Joseph, Brown, Cancela for his half a season) is a good thing.

16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I have no problem with Taylor winning and Aidan second and the format at all. What I do find surprising (and this is just a comment and not a criticism of how people voted or the format), is how low Ralston is.

Now Ralston hasn't scored that many, and his assist total is lower this year, and he definitely has had a few stinkers in there (but which player on this team hasn't) - it is just very surprising. I think Steve is just one of those "cursed" players that are constantly overlooked on a game by game basis to what he contributes in each of those games, and a team would have hard time in each of those games without him on the field.

17. TONES FC

TONES FC BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 3, 2003
    mass
    NESPAZZ

Dear nespazz just because that was my first post do not assume that I know nothing about the beutiful game or the revs. Do not assume that I have never seen the revs in person. My main problem is the red sox chants in the fort and the consatant red sox talk in the fort. we are not at fenway. If you came to watch the revs, watch the revs.

Also if you and these people love the beutiful game so much, then why was there sucha need to complain about the juve, barca match. There was continious complaining and whining about when the revs game would start. If these people cared about the beutiful game then you would be more than excited to have world class football at gillete.
    when else are some of teh worlds best footballers gonna be at your home stadium in the U.S.

I'm not trying to sport bash but i'm sure that these people don't sing chants about the fort at fenway. there is a place and time for these things. If you love the revs and are there to watch them the red sox have nothing to do with football.

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NESPAZZ

i agree. Baseball talk should not be held during a Revs game, ESPECIALLY in the Fort. Thats stupid. People who do that are stupid. Come on, the fort is for the people who love the revs and are cheering for them, not a place to talk about the choking Red Sox or the lame ass Patriots.

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "My main problem is the red sox chants in the fort and the consatant red sox talk in the fort. we are not at fenway. If you came to watch the revs, watch the revs..."

Which 'Red Sox' chants are you referring to? Perhaps you could provide some for those who may be unaware.

The Magpie

20. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy am I confused. I sit in the Fort every game, and have for nearly every game the last 3+ years, and I don't recall any chants/cheers for anyone but the Revs. Perhaps I am deaf or just not paying attention in my own section!?!?? Please. As for the barca/Juve game, I didn't make any complaints about it, but the one thing I did see wrong was that a lot of people I had never seen before, and certainly don't support the Revs, showed up and then didn't even stay for the Rvs game following. Plus, these so-called fans there for the "world class" soccer match also started some world class trouble. World class soccer? Who is going to give MLS any credit, when people who live here don't even come to support the home team, but instead only show up to support international teams? What sense does that make? I am not knocking anyone's opinion here, but it seems like if we want our league to be recognized "world class", then that starts with us, the fans. I am not judging anyone on here, or their intentions, but I am sick and tired of the sports bashing that goes on here. Stick to soccer, and stick to the facts. And JMMUSA, plllleeeeeeeeease stop calling us stupid because we are multi-sport fans....it gets old, and pretty soon you will topple off of the pedestal you have created for yourself.
    Spazz

21. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    All I can say is, I can't wait till Adin gets to play for the National Team!

22. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: NESPAZZ

And you need to calm down. I am a Boston sports fan. True, the Revs are by far top priority, but I am also a Red Sox fan, Celtics fan, and Patriots fan. (The Bruins I don't give a damn about.) Almost all Boston fans by default support all Boston teams. If you can't tolerate that, you're stupid.

And dissing the Red Sox has put you this close to my Ignore List. The only thing keeping you off of it is that I typically agree with you, but this is a rare, but strong, deviance.

23. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: NESPAZZ

Don't get me wrong, I am a multi-sport fan, except for gridiron football, but I get very upset when the only thing I hear at a Revs game is how the Sox are doing or something related to that. I feel there is a time and place for that, and a Revs game isnt it.

NeSpazz, I was referring to people in the Fort who chit-chat about sports other then soccer. You claim you don't so don't jump then gun and fire back an insult.

24. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JMMUSA8, I am not insulting you, or don't intend to anyway. As far as I know, from your previous posts, you don't even sit in the fort, so how do you know what goes on there, in terms of cheering? I don't understand why you seem to have such negative feelings toward the fort and the folks who sit there. We're all there for the same purpose, to cheer on our boys. This whole thread is out of hand and off topic, and I wish these threads didn't always end up as a sports bashing as opposed to soccer site. If you sit in the Fort, you know what goes on there, and if you don't, don't go assuming anything. The whole argument is trite, and the more we drag on this soccer-only mentality, the more it takes away from our overall support of Boston/New England teams. I for one am done with this age-old tiresome fight. My support goes to all Boston/New England teams, and for the next 2 weeks and beyond (godwilling) my primary focus is on the Revs.
    Spazz

25. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JMM sits in the Fort.
    ----------------
    That said, I think if it's halftime or if the action is really slow and no chants seem apparent or something like that, I see no reason we can't talk about Grady Little being an idiot and Manny Ramirez following him out the door. I'd like to think that it's just making conversation. Something we can talk about for a minute that's not Rev-related. I'm betting many, if not most of the Fort fans post here. After a week solid of Rev talk, I can see why someone would want to talk about something else.

I, however, don't. ;)