down but not out

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Redhammer, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Redhammer

Redhammer New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    who else thinks we're still gonna win this thing? if we outshoot NE 20-6 again next week and the defense steps up, we should at least force the overtime thing.

2. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    The last thing we should ever lose is faith...

3. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ
    we will win 3-0. forget about O.T. how bout that for faith?

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its nice to see that some fans are still behind your team, even though you know what happened in the last 3 weeks. Should be a great match.

5. Redhammer

Redhammer New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Brooklyn

6. MonmouthMetroFan

MonmouthMetroFan New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Long Branch, NJ
    I will be in NE cheering on the Metros. I am going there expecting a Metro victory. And if it doesn't happen, we had a very good year. Hey, we made it to our first final of any kind this year. But, I expect better next year.

7. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    True that. I live in DC, but when I was having lunch the day of the USOC final, wearing a Metro shirt, somebody asked me if NY was a good team. For the first time, I didn't feel stupid saying "yeah, pretty good."

3-0 is wishful thinking, but whoever suggested a Mathis hat trick is thinking REAL wishfully.

8. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ
    hey you got to have faith

9. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....and another shot of whatever Redhammer is drinking ;)

Seriously, the games between these two teams are always fun. The rivalry is great and my personal experience with Metros fans has been positive (I had a great time at the USOC match). Both sets of fans know the agony of awful teams and waiting for next year. Good for us and good for the league that both teams are good this year...and good for us Revs fans that the Revs are on fire right now.

Hope that many of you make up to the Big Razor Sunday and enjoy your stay. I'm sure that you, like we, know how to still enjoy a tailgate after a defeat ;)

10. amar

amar New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Metros never say die!

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Re: Re: down but not out

I figure Woly, Magee --- and Juskowiak, 'cause nobody on NE will bother watching him after last Saturday.

Trouble is, Noonan will likely scorch us again.

DC's got troubles of their own -- and who would have figured the Quakes to be 2 in the hole?
    Landon doesn't wear a halo after all.

12. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Things everyone knows:

1) We've only beaten an MLS team by 2 goals twice this year. At Colorado, and at San Jose. Both times the score was 2-0. We haven't beaten an MLS team by 3 goals or more all season long. Essentially, we will have to do so next weekend in order to advance (2 goals in regulation, a goal in the extra time). Penalties are the more likely option.

2) We cannot afford to give up a goal. Walker will have to stand on his head. Pope cannot make another mistake. Our midfield cannot let counterattacks run untouched through the middle while focusing all attention out wide. Pat Noonan cannot be allowed to touch the ball near the penalty area.

3) We have to finish chances. Magee had a gaping wide open net. That goal would have made for a reasonable situation instead of what is now a desperate situation given our inability to finish. Maybe Woly is the answer, just to switch things up. There is no answer, really.

4) NE's strategy will be interesting, knowing that another goal effectively seals the deal. I would not expect them to sit back. I'd expect them to run some smart counterattacks and send men forward early on. If they go up 1-nil, it's all over.

5) We are essentially down 2-0 at halftime of the match. We have twice as much time to come back. It can happen. But it can only happen if the team comes out with the mindset that we are down 2-0 at halftime. We were two awful defensive mistakes and 2 crossbars away from winning the opener 2-0. We had the run of play for the most part. We can do it again, and if we get a little lucky, that means a 2-0 win.

Based on our performances this season, the only realistic scenario I can envision for a Metro win is a 2-0 win and a golden goal or win on PKs. On the other hand, I can envision about a dozen ways New England can win: they score a goal, they hold us to one goal, they draw, they win, they lose by one goal, they lose by two and score a golden goal, or they win on PKs, etc. Ain't looking good.

13. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    [​IMG]

14. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    Good analysis. There is also something called the law of average striking back.

If you look at the record/performance of Metros and Revs over the course of this season, they are pretty even. Therefore, the law of average would predict the record against each other should be about even. However, over a SHORT PERIOD, it’s quite possible one team can put together a string of victories over the other team -- one team playing well and getting the right bounces while the other team just the opposite. Then, at some point, the law of average would dictate the streak would end and a reversal may happen. Therefore, in the long run the record against each other would be close to even.

Now we don’t know when the reversal is going to happen. One lucky bounce maybe? It’s also possible it won’t happen at all in the next game, but your never know. The bottom line is despite the scoreboard, these two teams have been roughly even in the run of play this season. Metros are certainly NOT out of it.

15. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    If the boys are due for a big comeback it's going to be Sunday afternoon at the Razor. 3-0 Victory and moving on to the Semi-Finals.

HERE WE GO! METRO ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Why is anyone surprised that LA is up on SJ? I thought SJ was headed downwards when I saw their pathetic attitudes against us. When Landon (the face of the team) acts like a bitch, you know that team had no leadership whatsoever. For me, they were done, even if they had a good coach. I would be very surprised if LA loses it.

As for DC, that team is also done. Etch is done. Stewart made some sort of rant that the team has to hold onto the ball, and that if Etch has it he will distribute the ball. This may be true, but the fact remains that Etch is way out of shape, and doesn't do much other then lounge arond for the ball. Stoich is a better option for me, because at least he is a mercurial player who can at least make something happen. Starting both of those players though? I love Hudson, but that was dumb.

I honestly believe that we can defeat the Revolution in the match this Sunday. I have felt all along that the Revolution are a team that can be defeated. We just have to put away our chances, and don't look back. Those bastards thrive when they get under your skin. They have many annoying players on their team (backline of Heaps, Pierce, and Franchino says it all) who yearn to irritate. Point is, their backline is not very good. It just isn't. Llamossa is old, Pierce and the other two are hacks (although Franchino has improved his game exponentially since leaving LA). How that unit holds it together is beyond me. Cancela is good in the middle, as is Sharlie. Ralston is the best winger in the history of MLS. That to me is the strength of the team, their midfield play which is so disruptive, and generates a lot of opportunities for their forwards (unlike our midfield recently).

I personally feel that we should go back to a 4-4-2. I think Mathis will score. He is due. I would try the back four of leitch, pope, jolley, and edgar. In front of them I would put Lisi, Clark, Gaven, and Gueverra, with Clint and Magee up top.

That to me is our only option at this point. Hopefully it will work out. Who knows. I cannot bear to think that we could lose to the Revs. I honestly hate them more then I do United.

I'm going to be there with 3 more buddies. Hopefully I will be happy.

17. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, if we make it to the next round i am buying season tickets for the next 10 years