Dow jones plunges 512 points in one day; nasdaq down 136; s&p down 60

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I just heard this week's unemployment number was good. Is the Magic 8 Ball busted?

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like don't look at this too closely, they are not what they look like.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have no idea why the stock market got whupped today. Coronavirus cases are rising in the South and West, we knew that. The Fed predicted a 7% GDP decline on the year, we knew that. The Federal Reserve chairman said that not all the jobs that have been lost will be coming back, we knew that.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, if this is correct, Hertz debtors want a bankruptcy judge to allow Hertz to sell up to 250 million shares in the market and use that money to pay creditors.

Basically they are saying if the market is willing to buy shit, then why not sell them the shit.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hour and a half to get to work and then back is brutal if not soul sucking. Most I ever had was 55 minutes and I absolutely hated it.
    Robinhood to the rescue!

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone put it, stimulus checks money going from the government to svckers, then from the svckers to corporations to 'save' them from bankruptcy.

Brilliant!

[​IMG]

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It really is the $HTZ

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    One hour, both ways for four years. Stress went down when I bought my current place.

9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's sad that it took a pandemic for people to realize that WFH isn't this crazy thing. I'm concerned that presenteeism will still be an issue once people start going back to work. There's a lot of folks in management who still think it's the 80s and 90s when it comes to work. I've tried advocating a WFH option before, but was met with resistance and the usual stuff about traditions and expectations. I personally don't mind working from home, but would like to at least go into an office from time to time.

On a related note for emissions, I've filled up maybe three or four times in the last few months since this all started. The savings I've made are remarkable. Before all this it was once a week to fill a up.

10. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    WFH isnt always feasible for a lot of families though.

It's a complete nightmare if you're a young family with a couple of young kids.

They need to maintain offices for those individuals.

My wife is WFH right now and chose to go back to the office as she couldn't handle it. Our house is too chaotic.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  11. You mean like this?

JamesA repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Can someone explain to me why inflation seems not to have noticed that unemployment is at Great Depression levels?

13. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes!

Except mine would have come in yelling and screaming, probably chasing each other. You can literally hear mine from our driveway some days. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

14. Because inflation is both non existant because of Chinese/Asian production conveyor belt and the money pumped into the world by the raving mad CBpresidents is going to the stock market and real estate. If you're looking for inflation correlate QE injections with those two.
    I promise you it will be a financial epiphany.

15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Oh, I’m aware of that. I’ve said on here that having WFH as an option would be nice.

I’m a single guy with no kids. I actually called in today because I’ve been cooped up the last few months. It’s also too nice out. I wouldn’t mind wfh on a Wednesday to break up tedium for instance.

I see your point though. Before COVID, my dad worked from home all the time. it wasn’t an issue most of the time because I was in school 75% of the year. Right now though? I get your wife’s reasoning.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I wish I had the faintest idea what any of this means. :(

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I don't.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It means Asia keeps providing cheap labor.

And the money being printed but Central Banks is going into the stock market and real estate. Not into the overall market. It's why you see irrational market and real estate bubbles.

MattR repped this.
  19. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Once I understood this abbreviation the post made a little sense.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The right and the left have essentially killed a lot of the manufacturing middle class in America. Don't be fooled, they played for the same team in that aspect outsourcing labor to China. That's why they opened China up in the 70s. Huge uneducated labor force.

From that aspect, Trump is right ... at least in concept. I am not sure if the problem can be fixed. It does ignore the role of automation and how it eliminates a lot of those jobs. But his view on trade has been consistent for 20 years or so if you look at his interviews. It's probably the only thing he was knowledgeable about.

21. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed.

And, any fix (whether it worked or not), would require a big step back initially in quality of life for many, especially low to middle income levels.

I also think the X factor is technology. That has come so far, that any fix requires a bigger reset and gambling on the unknown, versus trying to roll back the clocks.

Trumps approach is too simplistic in nature. Hes just trying to roll back the clock to the 70s and 80s.

22. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Nineteen or eighteen?

xtomx, feyenoordsoccerfan and JamesA repped this.
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 that would cost money for the company for just a handful of individuals (I guess many would downsize their office space).

2 you can actually rent your own personal office, maybe subsidized by your company.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it is expected to be temporary, we will see how much is temporary and how much is permanent/long term.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it has helped millions of Chinese and South East Asians get out of poverty.

So from nationalistic POV that is bad (Trump) from a world development POV it was a good thing.