Dow jones plunges 512 points in one day; nasdaq down 136; s&p down 60

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. I donot doubt you're early gut feelings, but that's different from what the general idea was. I was laughed at when I posted early on that the Olympics are going to be cancelled and the soccer tournement in it wasnot going to happen.
    All those people who reacted in those months with shrugging shoulders and remarks it's going to be like a flue simply went with the info they got in the mainstream media at that time.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm pretty sure that institutional investors understood the coronavirus would kill a bunch of people. What they missed was that unlike with the Spanish flu, when the attitude was largely "get to your job while stepping over the bodies," that modern societies wouldn't accept that level of death in exchange for doing business as usual.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #728 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    So buy now?

21,095.20 −821.96 (3.75%)
    Apr 1, 12:29 PM EDT

Let's see what Wall St. expert and Trump stooge had to say at Dow 25k

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Republican base gets terrible investment advice. When Obama was President, it was told to avoid stocks, buy gold, and that bonds would blow up due to Obummer overspending and the bad bad Fed. Zero for three. Now iit hears nonstop about the pandemic being a hoax, buy those stocks!

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Now you are just making shit up. First of all, investors range on all sides of the political spectrum, second, I don't recall anyone suggesting to avoid stocks after the 2008-9 crash... but carry on John.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I vividly recall my coworker telling me how his Harvard MBA, former CEO dad had been listening to Rush and Glenn about Obummer, so had dumped his stock for gold. A smart and educated man lost his mind ...and his money.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't buy gold or bitcoin right now. Don't buy stocks in companies that are in industries that are failing. Buy stocks in companies that are solid, and preferably those that are deemed "too big to fail", or that deal on items and services that are in higher demand during a crisis.

Unless you are a contrarian. Then do the opposite.

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Listening to The Smiths might have made me sell stocks but not Rush.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    To continue the discussion, hard-core Republicans suck as investors. People think they are good because they are often wealthy and then tend to care about their money, a lot, but they are too paranoid and anti-government. They constantly expect disaster and are attracted to bear-market schemes, especially if a Democrat is involved. They have a hard time understanding that businesses mostly do what businesses are gonna do, not matter what the tax code or who is charge or whatever.

BernieBros might even be worse but they don't own stocks. ;)

The people who make the real money are establishment optimists, like Warren Buffett. He happens to be a Democrat, but moderate Republicans fall into the same camp.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Again, you are simply making shit up. The fact is most political donations from high net worth investors go to the Democrats.

11. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I don't think this is accurate at all. Whether you are Democrat of Republican, you get your financial advice from professionals whose best interest is to make solid calls and present planning. The advisors aren't going to risk their credibility on making calls that fit political narratives. And sane clients are going to let their political views get in the way of following professional advice.

Really nothing to analyze here.

Note: I am not talking about talking heads on the news.

stanger repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    #737 JohnR, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    You are correct that financial advisors don't do this, not the ones who wish to stay in business. I am talking a segment of the do-it-yourself Barron's readers.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I would like to post a reminder that the man who is always wrong tweeted on February 24th, "Stocks are starting to look very good to me!"

Good call, Donald. Spot on, as usual. You know more than all the generals, and all professional investors too.

14. upload_2020-4-2_0-44-33.jpeg

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Butt-coin - LOL

And this is really the issue - if you want to find value in the market, you need to be contrarian

Which raises the issue of whether Joe Mug Money can really make these kinds of calls.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He doesn't need to. If Joe Mug is buying individual stocks he is going to get squashed by the elephants stampeding this way and that. But because Joe is small he can easily move money in on big dips and as long as he has a long term horizon he'll beat the market.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    6.6 million more jobless claims. Wonder how fast the shut off valve is triggered today.

1245690790539595777 is not a valid tweet id

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oil prices up a bit so that provided a little lift. Futures just slightly down at this point. Unemployment is going to be ugly for awhile.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  19. How much money was spent on tourism? Like gas for cars, air traffic, hotels, theme parks, etc?
    This is spending that's gone for a very long time and probably not coming back at the levels before the virus for a very long time.
    These effects radiate out as those millions who depended on income from that arenot spending those earned $$/€€ etc. on other things.

20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep seeing dire predictions like yours and I'm just not buying it for a couple of reasons.

First, there has already been movement at lightning speed toward more accurate tests that show results more quickly. Once that makes it into the mainstream tracking and quarantining the sick will be much more efficient.

Second, I am seeing the grumbling on my neighborhood FB and Nextdoor pages about keeping the kids locked down. Granted, some of these people simply aren't very smart, but at the first indication that we have shown to be able to treat this virus, those people will be back out in force.

Third, we have seen similar viruses in the past and we will develop a vaccination. I believe the H1N1 is now just a part of the seasonal flu as I assume this will be.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No doubt. But mass deployment of that vaccination looks to be about 18 months out.

Overall, the stock market agrees with your assessment. It expects a return to something approaching normalcy over the summer. Otherwise, stock prices would be lower. Of course that doesn't mean that the stock market (and you) are correct in that assessment. For example, the market was brutally wrong with its mid-February forecast.

22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. Nobody says things will go back to the way things were. I just made a comment about the market for today. That is all.

23. Given the hit on the paycheque suffered up till now and lasting for a couple of months from now, tourism isnot going to recover very much and thus that money flow it generated. International tourism isnot going to jump up either as the dangers of getting infected are still out as long as a vaccin isnot available and used globally. That vaccin is still at least 6 months away in optimistic projections, but going by the regular development history it's a year if at all.

24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump tweeting about talking to his good friend MBS concerning him and Putin cutting back on production. Moot point as soon there will be no place to store oil due to zilch demand. Many oul producers in US are still pumping as they need the cash flow, no matter how small, to pay off their significant debt. Even worse for Canada as not only is shale oil expensive to produce, they also cannot just shut off the valve due to the technology constraints. Some predictions that oil prices will hit $9.75/barrel as there is no demand and there will be huge fallout with producers. So, that will get factored in soon enough.

25. Not criticising, but adding things to consider.