Dow down 500!

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Anthony, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am surprised no one has noticed. But I figured this was coming for a while.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Looks like the Chinese selloff may be beginning.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, things have been a bit out of control in China, with too many people speculating in the stock market. The values of Chinese stocks were out of whack.

There is definitely weakness in China, after years of unsustainable growth. But it's not just China, also look for the US economy to slow down. (Even Greenspan said it.)

4. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Kind of figured that we'd get a pull back. I just wasn't expecting 3-4% in one day. My portfolio got hammered. Not pretty.

5. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been sitting on a lot of cash waiting for this to happen. Also, I have some bonds that I am hoping to sell if the bond yields drop more.

6. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Dear lord. Cramer is claiming this was "machine generated" and shouldn't have happened. :rolleyes:

7. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ALWAYS happens. You just need to wait long enough. Then it grows bigger.

8. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    what little cash i had on the sidelines was put into the market 13 minutes ago. a good buying opportunity.
    China isn't 'slowing', their gov't is just taking actions against policies that have led to a spike in asset prices. of course their market was going to react to such talk. they are still on track for approx. 10% growth this year.
    this isn't a beginning to a recession here in the US. we still grew at a 3.3% pace last year and are predicted at 2.75-3% this year by the Fed. Profits, while not likely to be in the double digit growth range, are estimated to grow 8-9% this year. I'm still quite bullish, and am expecting to see the dow close the year around 13900.

as for the radom 200 point downward spike on the Dow yesterday, it was caused by the backlog of orders and only showed up when a secondary computer was brought on-line.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/17369561

9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    even the bulls saw a pullback coming, and with everything that was said in the last few days, yesterday was the perfect time for it.
    3% isn't too large. a 400 pt pull back on a 12500 market isn't that bad. IIRC, as a %, it isn't in the top 10.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/17366921

10. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The newsletter I subscribe to has been predicting about pullback in the S&P as high as 7%.

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    3% isn't really that bad after a period of seemingly endless increase. And I don't think China will slow down significantly - it'll level off, but not go into a tailspin.
    I'm far more concerned about the failure of sub-prime lenders and what that would do to the debt and structured markets.

12. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    with regards to my bank, the risk is quite well spread. we've had so many funds clamoring for the debt, that we have been able to sell off the majority of our 'risky' debt to a wide array of funds. not to say that it won't hurt us if it goes south, but we're much less susceptible to a blowup.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I don't mean the banks so much - they mostly acquire debt to get it off their balance sheets as soon as they can. I'm referring to the markets in general. The funds that hold equity pieces of some pretty risky debt assets are going to be in for a rough ride if there are some defaults in the RMBS market.

14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    there are some funds that would hit rough times, but we see that happen when people make bets on any asset. i'm confident taht the risk is well spread out over the market. yeah, some funds will blowup, but we won't see full scale melt down. nobody is looking at $1.6 trillion in exposure like LT.

15. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Long. Term. Those are the words most of us should keep in mind for sure. I see this dip as a strong buying opprtunity for my overall portfolio.

I'm 100% in mutual funds so I'm a bit more diversified than pure stock riders; however, I think I may start to look at diversifying my international piece of the pie. I'm not getting out of international funds all together, but I will look at reallocating a portion of my emerging funds toward more value based international funds or my existing global funds. All of those areas went down, but I still think international markets have a ton of liquidity pointing their direction.

Of course, I'm gonna keep on pluggin $$ into US Large Cap, Large Growth and Large Value funds too . . . the money in the market may start moving faster toward the large US companies as some folks jump out of the international funds.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Long Term.

16. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm assuming that there will be a pullback either in the summer, or during the next earnings season (which is April I believe).

17. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Was he claiming that machines contributed to/added fuel to the sell off, or they caused it? Two different scenarios.

18. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing which is interesting is that the Chinese sell off came when someone in the Chinese government floated a proposal to increase capital gains rates.

I also note the Shanghai market has been jumping lately.

[​IMG]

19. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm not sure, it was the usual Cramer yelling. I think it was the first, but he didn't really make it clear.

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Oh, I don't think this'll cause a melt-down, but it'll depress the market. The steady pipeline of house market---->mortgages---->RMBS------->CDOs/CLOs-------->hedge funds is likely bound to produce a depressing effect.
    There's mitigation, to this, of course, in that CLOs are also fuelled by the private equity boom, which seems relatively healthy so far (even if it is overheated) and that the large pension funds are buying the AAA rated RMBS/CDO of RMBS pieces. Still, a slow down would be somewhat nice - I could have relatively normal hours at work!

21. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    a slow down would be horrible, a smaller bonus that expected in my first year of banking!! oh the horror!! selling out for $$ and not getting the full amount. DAMN!!

yes, it is a depressing effect. but there is enough money free to be made in other assets (there will be some other kind of 'asset bubble' soon enough) that it won't be as hard felt as if the banks were holding the majority of the risk themselves.

22. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    good thing you didn't buy short!!
    the Dow is now past 12,900, yet another new high. with more good earnings next week, we may see Dow 13,000 next week.
    oh how the bears and the downbeat masses thought one bad day meant the economic might of this great country had come to an end. ONWARD AND UPWARD.

23. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Ha. Yea. Didn't short. Did sell one of my stocks, but that's more of a mechanics thing.

You shouldn't be taking investment advice from me anyway :D

24. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    again, yet another 100+ point day, and crossed that 13,000 number. is that a good thing? haha.

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I dunno.. the last part of the rise before the crash is usually the steepest.