Doug Warren [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'd never seen Doug Warren play before tonight. But what I saw tonight was damned impressive. I didn't know what to expect from him when Rimando had to come out and I'll admit that I was a tad nervous when he took over at goal. That nervousness faded quickly, however.

As is known, I've never been totally comfortable with Rimando in goal. There's something about his style of play that always makes me feel like disaster is looming around the corner. That's not to say he's a bad keeper, just that for some reason he makes me uneasy. I like a keeper who inspires trust. Garlick did that back in the day.

When I saw Warren tonight I thought to myself, there's a keeper who I might grow to trust. There's something about his whole manner of play that I really liked. He's so calm and poised. His style of play is deliberate and measured but then he's also capable of outstanding Howard-esque reaction saves like the one block he made with his foot. Sure, he had a bad distribution or two but that you can work on. But his demeanor. That calm confidence, that's what I like to see from the guy in goal.

Indeed, I thought his time in goal was even more remarkable when you consider the tough situation he was in. The starting keeper goes down injured. You're playing away from home against the team's biggest rival and you're ahead and needing to preserve a lead. I couldn't believe it though, none of that seemed to phase Warren. He didn't look nervous at all. He was totally cool and calm. Indeed, it was he that slowed things down and brought the team back to order after the near chaos right after he came in. I don't know what else to say but that I'm damned impressed.

It's never a good thing to lose your starting keeper. But if Rimando is going to miss who know how many games then I'm glad we've got someone like Warren to step into the job. Judging by his performance tonight he looks up to the task. And what's more he looks like a keeper that I could come to trust and that's a pretty rare thing.

2. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Who's behind Warren now?

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jorge Geddes.

4. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Simpson is in town for the Golf Tournament Monday so maybe he will be there Sunday!!!

:D

5. Sinderella

Sinderella New Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Odenton, MD
    Warren impressed me with some of his plays at the US open cup earlier this summer. If Nick does not play on Sunday (I hope he does though), I think we should be in good hands.

6. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    IHMO, Doug was the best keeper I saw play in college over the past four years. He single handedly (<=keeper joke) kept Clemson in many games.

7. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    And once again we are reminded of the incredible depth at the GK position in this league/country.

I'll just echo Knave's sentiments: Rimando is a quality keeper, but he tends to make me quite nervous on served balls and has let in some howlers this season.

Warren has a real shot here and I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out over the next few weeks.

Now we see how he does with REAL pressure -- it's one thing to step in mid-game, it's quite another to sit and stew over an upcoming start.

8. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    This guy is a quality keeper. I have plenty of confidence in his skills. Remember the penalty shootout with Blackburn at RFK earlier this year?
    Any word on Nick's injury yet?

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Having seen Doug a few times this year, I have faith that he will see us through.

I hope that Nicky gets healthy soon and then we have a keeper battle over who gets the start! :)

10. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    I saw Warren at the Blackburn game, he looked confident, quick. I think winning the penalty shootout did wonders for his confidence.

11. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Trade Nick for an A-League striker! sorry - little bit of Sormun coming out. :)

12. I thought Warren did great last night. Great reaction on the kick save. Also had some nice punches and came off his line very well. Loved it when he got the ball and Clark ran into him and then crumbled to the ground as Warren didn't even flinch. He is much bigger than Nicky. Not having seen Warren play I was imprressed and not that nervous about him in goal if Nicky is out for any length of time. If that is the case - get well soon Nicky.

-The Far Side

13. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    this goes for everyone one the team, but when you go out of the line up for suspension or injury, you've got to earn your job back... because of this process our team has, that means that Warren is our starting keeper now. And he's worthy of being a starting keeper anywhere in this league.

14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't we already have an A-League striker?

james

15. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Is it just me, or did Warren conduct himself like a total badass when he came in? He had a nice little pushoff on Mathis; if he had said something like "Step off, bitch", that would've been pure gold. Not to mention the way Ricardo Clark just brickwalled right off of him. For the short time he was on, Warren owned the Metros last night.

16. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Don't you know we got the wrong A-league striker? ;)

Man, we are lucky to have Warren!

17. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    For me the jury's still out for me on this goalkeeper. I'm hoping Rimando can come back, but I doubt it-I also heard 2 pops when I was on artificial turf, when I tore my ACL and a little bit of meniscus. Injury happened the way just like Nick said he got it-noncontact-foot just stuck when body moved-artificial turf made the part of my leg under the knee stick-my foot wouldn't move

Depending on a 22-year-old rookie in the most important of games, wow........I'm HOPING he's as good as some of you are advertising!

18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What impressed me about Warren was his first touch on the ball after he came in. He didn't hesitate to punch the ball out of a crowd on an air ball into his box.

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everyone that Warren was literally awesome last night - controlled the box, calm and poised, took control, good reactions saves.

But depending on a raw rookie for the stretch run and then the playoffs is a lot to lay at his feet. If he muffs a couple and his confidence wanes, it could cause real problems for DC.

Best of luck to him though. You have to like the kid after watching him last night.

20. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Agreed; Warren looks GOOD. I know we're supposed to support Rimando unconditionally, since he's our keeper and all. That said, Knave is right -- Rimando simply doesn't inspire confidence in the way a keeper is supposed to, IMO. His performances remind me of outfielders in baseball who lack range but make the "highlight reel" -- his plays look spectacular, but are ones that superior keepers (and outfielders) would make appear routine.

Frankly, I never understood why Nick was ever in the USMNT pool (given the depth of talent in this country).

21. This guy is a solid player with a lot of experience. Most of you know that he is from Clemson, but this kid has years of International experience as well, and has played with the best. I beleive he has been a memeber of the national teams from the early days...going back to high school. He has competed at just about every top level and is certainly capable of stepping in while Nicky is out. I am excited to see this guy finally get some time to prove himself...and prove he will!!

22. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    Nick is in the pool because he keeps the ball out of the net. He's proven himself over and over and over again.

But injury or no injury. We've got depth everywhere, and if you're not starting, you've got to earn your job and the same goes here.

23. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    He keeps the ball out of the net because the defense is ridiculously good at limiting the opposition from quality scoring chances. With all the dodgy goals that Nick has given up this year, you'd think he was David Seaman without the unfortunate ponytail.

I predict that Warren's play will be much steadier.

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO based on what I have seen in US Open Cup and exhibition matches Warren should be fine. His distribution lacks at times. That is the only real critique I would have of his play.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had this criticism of him after the first match, and a bit after the VB game, it seemed he had a place picked out before the ball got there and punted it, whether our players were there or not. But in Wilmington, I noticed he picked his head up quicker to see what was down the field, looked for open wing players or forwards, then acted on his choice much quicker, and had some good distribution. He's young, and still learning, but he seems to get better with each outing. Hope he can handle the playoff pressure and MLS Cup pressure ;) we'll need him. And he's from Clemson, what's not to love.