Doug Peterson Interview...

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by PCFC, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    If I cared about this team, I would send these posts off to peterson to tell him that one of his very new hires is doing a very poor job at outreach and marketing. In fact, he's undermining the teams already paltry marketing and outreach efforts.

I'm glad your kiddie soccer league efforts are going so well. Why don't you ask the old metrostars management how that strategy worked out for them. And I think that's just terrific that you are looking at Seattle for your "research", Mr. History minor. But you may want to expand that research from the languages that the supporters group sings in (irrelevant to attendance it seems to me), and how it is they have gotten the kind of interest they've gotten. So far, your reliance on kids leagues, "special events", and thinking that a world cup year is a great time to start a USL franchise (good lord how stupid is that) is doing pretty much the opposite of what Seattle has done.

I'm glad "Mr. PEterson" has put together such a crack team of market researchers who are conducting studies on supporters group languages. With you at the helm, no telling what FCNY will become.

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    And PS, please send my regards to NYC_Cosmos next time he PMs you!

3. longislandsoccer

longislandsoccer New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I said a whole lot of those things before I had any affiliation with any team. So don't associate some of the (stupid) things I have said in the past with FC New York.

You should note that I am on these forums on my own accord, and I have had this account and have used it way before I knew anyone at FC New York.

This is not some attempt to market FC New York, I simply come on here to chat it up with you guys. Yea I would probally lose my job if people found out I was on here. I havn't released any information, but it seems I have alienated some supporters by simply existing.

I am not a marketing major nor am I doing marketing-related activities for the team.

For the LAST time, you guys misunderstood me, and I thought we had resolved this issue. I don't have issue with targetting latinos, I HAD (PAST FREAKIN TENSE) an issue with not targeting everyone as a whole. I thought that certain peoples would be neglected, and I was wrong. This was WAY before I even got an INTERNSHIP here at FC New York.

My goodness, I have never felt like such crap before in my life. You are a real nice person metro. You keep calling me kid, that must make you older, that's cool, its good to know success has reached you in one way or another and that you have time to spend trolling soccer forums all day long.

You know...everyone had every reason to hate me after the MISUNDERSTANDING regarding my comments about latinos and marketing to that community, but things seemed very peachy after I explained myself and apologized...now I come on to try and slip you guys some information, it is not the information you want to hear, and WHAM I am public enemy number one again. I am a racist piece of stupid crap according to the lot of you. Its like really disheartening. I never knew some people would care about something so much that they turn into wild animals when they are fed food they didn't care for!

I really hope you guys see that I am not trying to offend you guys, and I am only trying to help. If you want, you can get me fired...just tell Doug I have been on these forums and that I have been making his supporters group hate him and the team.

And by all means...if you want to meet me in person, so we can all get to know each other, I would LOVE that! No sarcasm whatsoever. Just let me know

Sorry
    Mike

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

August 12th - USA vs. Mexico at Jack Demseys in the City - all welcome - we watch the US together - come on down!

lets just squash all this because the thread is getting tiresome!

Mike - its not you we are frustrated at - its the whole situation! There is a lot we WONT say on the boards - so talk it out with the guys in person -

Again - me personally - i want FC to be for real - I want it all to come true - move to the city etc - just not what im hearing and seeing! Thats all!

5. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Might take you up on that offer!!! I need to buy we a USMNT jersey!

Adu?? :p

6. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu Who?
    at least he's on the Roster for Gold Cup

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if not just wear red or blue!

8. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Do you consider it "stupid" that you told us, just about an hour after the US v. Spain game I might add, that we should "stop whining"? Was June 24 "way before" your association with FC NY?

You got this account on June 9, 2009. You have a strange sense of the passing of time if you consider June 9 sometime in the distant past.

I keep calling you kid because you keep making the same mistake a non-adult would make. Your inexperience is certainly excusable. Your efforts to appear smarter, more in the know, and your lectures about soccer marketing and outreach to a group of folks with much more experience in the area is what makes you seem juvenile. Age is a state of mind.

I could care less how you refer to me or what you call me. I don't know who your adult role models are, but to many I think being an adult and having time to devote to something you love while still providing for yourself and family is would be considered "successful". I normally don't rate myself or others as a "success" or not because, again, I'm adult enough to understand that many people might have a different idea of what success is. When you spend some time out of your parents house and off their payroll, you'll understand.

If you want to come and meet us and start all over again, this time in person and out of the artificial social world of the internet, I will give you every courtesy, given your offer. But as for now, the game you keep playing here of being aggressive and insulting (ie "stop whining") followed by your crying and claims of victimization is the height of pu$$iness.

9. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Well calling me a pu$$y does not make you look any more mature then I. So well said. You had me until that very last line...the edit button is there if you decide to change your mind.

10. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    A word to the wise, dudes:

Just support the freakin' team, if it comes to fruition. At least you have possibility of getting one. I used to have to drive 38 miles one way to see the Silverbacks, and that was before they had the play-like stadium with no restrooms or concession stands (as crappy as Hallford was, at least it had those). It's almost 30 miles to Silverbacks Park from where I live now. I understand your frustration, but if the team dies, you'll have nothing.

11. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You make a great point dude! And if the team comes to the City - we will support it but driving 38 miles - i understand what your saying but there is more to it that no one will understand! No can undestand who we are or what we are about because - they are not from our mindset.

Listen - if it was just about driving - we are set - the Bulls are only 10 miles from Queens and Brooklyn - (Although ill take 38 miles in Georgia than 10 Miles in New York City Traffic)

There is more to it that on the outside looks like we are being petty and elitist - and I can totally understand that but when you are born and raised in the Boroughs of New York City - there is a different sense of pride - its a completetly different mindset - I know most people dont understand it but im sure every city has something similar. Shit - when I was in LA - locals ripped me for going to The Valley - thats the same state!

We are born and raised New York City people that just want a team that represents US - the City as a hole! To us - a Team in Nassau will not be at all the same feel, the same environment than a team in the City!

I see your point - as I see everyones points who say they dont understand it - they have to drive so and so - fine! ITs a different mentality over here - just like there is a different mentality in Philly than NY!

Hows that Georgia Traffic? Ill be down there in a few weeks!

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I'm not interested in looking mature, I'm interested in being mature. And I didn't call you a pu$$y, I said you were acting like one. Calling us whiners and euro wannabes, and then on different ocassions whining yourself about your treatment is acting like a pu$$y. You just keep showing how juvenile you really are. I take it you're offer about meeting us is rescinded.

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Yeah, I have to agree with what nick said... it's not the traveling per se, it's the state of mind. I'm sure traveling from the bronx to queens would probably take more time than the 38 miles you drove to see your team. But it's a feeling, a relationship to the City that we would want our team to have. There's very little reason for any new yorker to go out to nassau county to see a USL side play in a stadium in the middle of nowhere, over say the Red Bulls when their stadium is complete. I'm not doing either, mind you, but FCNY is very much shaping up to be a suburban team.

14. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The true problem is the identity, not the distance !!!

15. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to boil it down...
    if are only choices of supporting a team NOT in NYC...
    we have RedBull...who are alot closer, nice new stadium and MLS....
    or FcNY...out at Hofstra in USL-1....

Why would we support FCNY over RedBull ??
    Because it's more "new york" than Jersey???
    Harrison is more Urban than where FCNY is going to be...

The Borough Boys from the start have been commited to bringing
    a professional side, MLS or USL to the City of New York. plain and simple.

16. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Well, like I said, if you guys don't want it, send 'em our way. We have nothing (well, a PDL team and 2 NPSL sides, so yeah, nothing); you at least have Red Bull.

17. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Stay off the roads (interstates) between 7-9 a.m., and 4-6 p.m., and you'll be okay. :D

18. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ok cool - im gunna be in raleigh for the weekend - visiting friends - we are driving down to Hotlanta for the Mets - Braves game on the Saturday! Should be good!

19. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    U guys should all get together during a Mets game and practice your chants and songs. Maybe it will get some attention from the cameras =) Attention is a good thing.

20. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
  21. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "hoping" to play in NYC is just lip service.
    Until we see concrete evidence of games being played in NYC, i'm not interested.

The 3 spots he mentioned before...have all been contacted by us, and none of them have even heard of FCNY...
    Icahn stadium can't even FIT a soccer field on it...

blah blah blah...Peterson... just be honest with your fanbase instead of
    alienating them.

22. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont even think doug knows where football originated from

23. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im willing to give them the chance to prove us wrong - i hope they do - it would be great for the City - but from all the conversations we had - sounded like we were getting lipped!

Just tell us straight out the deal! Thats all!

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did in '02 and '06, but not in '98. There's a caveat here, which I'll get to afterwards:

98 WC.....G.....Total.....Avg...Median
    Pre......82..1,221,296..14,894..11,967
    During...27....421,034..15,594..12,372
    Post.....83..1,105,567..13,320..11,319

02 WC.....G.....Total.....Avg...Median
    Pre......45....741,743..16,483..14,065
    During...25....325,276..13,011..12,721
    Post.....70..1,147,859..16,398..14,581

06 WC.....G.....Total.....Avg...Median
    Pre......60....963,446..16,057..14,916
    During...40....527,908..13,198..11,925
    Post.....92..1,485,069..16,142..14,602

The caveat is that the timing of most World Cups coincides with when MLS attendance normally dips anyway. Were it not for July 4, most MLS attendance charts are almost a perfect inverse bell curve, with the highest points at both ends and a dip in the middle. July 4 mitigates that a bit.

So while, yes, in the last two World Cups, MLS average attendance dropped, I don't know how much of that to attribute to normalcy and how much of it to attribute to anything else. And I'd have to check USL numbers on that as well.

25. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Interesting. Thanks Kenn.

Couple of comments on the interview:

1. Anyone who says their working 24/7 isn't working that hard.

2. "The grapple for the apple". Wow, how do all us NEw Yorkers feel about a Jersey team and a Nassau County team playing for City bragging rights? The dumbest thing I've ever heard, unless, of course, Hempstead has some fruit oriented nickname I haven't heard about.

3. He went to the NYC PArks Dept? The PArks Dept? You don't start at Parks. If you want to pull off an event, like the grapple or have a few games in the City, you start with people inside the Mayor's office, economic development and a local politician. If you get those folks behind it, the park space for your event will become available.

You think the artist that did "the fences" a few years ago in Central Park pitched it first to the Manhattan Borough Commissioner of the PArks Dept? Uhhh, no.