Doug Peterson Interview...

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by PCFC, Jun 8, 2009.

1. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone post this interview on BigAppleSoccer?

Here it is

What do you think? Still a chance to see NYC games? Will Nassau pull a fast one?

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Well this interview certainly does not give me any more confidence that:

1. They have the wherewithal to get this done.

2. they have a marketing strategy.

3. That they have any plans whatsoever to play in NYC in the near future.

4. that they have any plans for a stadium in nyc ever.

Partnering with euro sides is nice, but partnering to do what exactly? He talks about how important that is, but I'd like to know what sheffield united can contribute to this?

3. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really scared that this team is destined for Nassau. FC Dallas, Red Bull New York, New England Revolution, Colorado Rapids....and FC New York. I can see it now.

4. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    the guy sounds gitty about all this but the truth is they have MAJOR WORK TO DO in order to attract fans and what not......

they could have been having gear and a proper web pAGE TO START AT LEAST SELLING THE JERSEY....

teaming up with shefield NOBODY United I could care less.........i dont know what these partnerships do for USL or MLS i hear about all these partners and see very little of anything between the clubs....Morelia and fire set up is a perfect example of that....

To want a stadium and actually getting 1 done are 2 very different worlds.......

they have been quiet let them set their pace this is a operation experiment that is starting from the ground up.........

i dont expect any super stars or any of that I'll be happy if they can come close to what the rhinos did during their hay days of winning titles but more importantly drAWing fans and keeping them...

fan fare announce ment about FCNY???????? really???? i dont think there was any fan fare about it...

all this talk about out drawing red bull it can be done but the right elements have to be in place.....

some usl teams have out drawn MLS on a weekly basis it can be done...

listen peeps this aint EPL its Usl and you should take it for what it is and lets hope that things turn out ok...

5. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    + + 1

6. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he said it so clear, We have offers to build the stadium in Long Island, im officially not going to one game of this team, and the borough boys dont deserve this, key points, asked if he wanted to go to MLS, he stated in more than one word, NO, play in queens, NO. THIS TEAM IS A JOKE AND HE IS A JOKE, red bull park is even more accesible next year than this team, it would be ironic to support them

7. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    the ownership has turned out to be a joke...

the chippy drunk is running a fantasy that will turn into a hideous reality when he sees he is only drawing 200 people per game....

this will fold in 2 years tops

FCNY is already a SAD ASS JOKE...

much like the rest of the WORTHLESS USL...

8. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    FCNY is already a SAD ASS JOKE...

Well, what can you expect from a franchise born on april first?

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Why is the USL a "joke" exactly?

10. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is USL worthless?

FCNY is fine, what news are you exactly expecting?

11. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    who is a chippy drunk?

12. SunnysideFC

SunnysideFC New Member

May 29, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Hey Big Soccer, this is my first comment ever. Long time comments voyeur)

Just wanted to say as a New Yorker, specifically a few stops on the 7 train into Queens, I'm looking forward to what happens during the next 6 months of this FC New York thing. Whether good or bad, it makes for some fun message board reading and rumor hunting.

I think it's very easy to be skeptical about the whole thing, but Peterson's heart seems to be in the right place. And that kind of optimism can help build an organic and hopefully enjoyable soccer club for all us New Yorkers to celebrate.

Good luck Mr. Peterson. I'll be there to support FC New York if you and the team can pull it off.

13. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I'm concerned with is the primary stadium location. Not for the first season, but the permanent. Am I the only one scared that the LIRR connection on the board might influence our NYC goal?

With news that the NYC UFL franchise might be placed in Columbia, I get nervous that the lost possibility of NYC venues had nothing to do with USL but the initiative (or lack thereof) of the ownership. If even a lesser entity can do it, why can't the USL? Or am I wrong and that's just apples and oranges?

Playing games in NYC is the best PR you can do.

14. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Long Time Big Soccer comments voyeur? May 2009? lol

Hello, MR Sock!

15. SunnysideFC

SunnysideFC New Member

May 29, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't have to join to read it brother.

16. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i also live in sunnyside, and i will not support this team, they will always play in long island, no intentions of first division football, doug is a joke sorry

17. R0bbyB0ggio87

R0bbyB0ggio87 New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually some big announcements will be made in the next few months.

1) The Coach
    2) The Kit
    3) The Foriegn Affiliate
    4) The REAL website
    and much more

Wink Wink wink

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    zzzzzzz..........

19. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the only news i want to hear is that they are going to play a few games in the city...
    uniforms, coaches, affliates??? all useless if they are going to be playing at
    Hofstra. This has disaster written all over it.

20. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched Once In a Lifetime yesterday. Seeing the games they played at Hofstra early in the Cosmos history should be a lesson why the City is needed.

"there were about 50 or so people in the stands...mostly family members of the players"

21. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island

By the same logic, you could say that if anyone had bothered to film a NY Centaurs game, there would be proof that NYC is a lousy market for professional soccer.

FCNY can succeed on LI, but it will require a lot of work, skillful marketing and much money. All else being equal, FCNY can be more of a success if it plays in NYC.

22. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All the debating back and forth, between playing in LI vs playing in NYC, at this point in the game is useless. Things like "I'm not going unless they play in NYC" or "I'm going going to support them because they will play in Hofstra" or just foolish.

Let's take a step back, and just be happy that we are getting a second pro team in the area. Who cares that its in the USL, at least its a soccer team. When Wilpon finally gets his act together, hopefully NYC will have 3 teams. I pray and hope that it's going to be the case.

Support for soccer in the NYC area needs to be the primary issue. Later on we can worry about where they play. That they play at all and continue to play should be our primary concerns.

23. longislandsoccer

longislandsoccer New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    You guys do know that MLS contacted the Wilpons not the other way around right?

In any case, you guys should be willing to support this team. It will be playing in New York, it is a professional club, and its going to start play during the World Cup next year when soccer fever will be at its highest here in the USA.

With a good marketing campaign it could draw crowds in the freakin Hamptons if that is where the stadium was located. :D

Stop whining.

24. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    link?

25. longislandsoccer

longislandsoccer New Member