Doug, do me a favor... [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JMMUSA8, Aug 11, 2002.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pronouce the names of the players right. I never heard anybody pronouce Lalas the way you did. Just thought I'd mention that so you don't look like a fool. Getting better, not quite there, but you'll learn, and another thing, don't butt into Adrian's recaps, thats his job.

2. Joel Schwaab

Joel Schwaab New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    Seriously. Doug, I admire the knowledge and dedication you have provided the NE footballing community...and your recall of numbing statistical information is blinding...but, you really ought to lie down and avoid calling another match. Behind the cameras, Douglas. Your seat is behind the cameras...

(as a disclaimer, considering the meal Jack and Ty make of a game, I should like to point out that I'd happily listen to Chapman for several hundred consecutive hours while gratefully accepting repeated blows to my face)

3. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    I myself like Doug. We all talk like we are professional broadcasters and color commentators. I don't know about all of you, but I watch the game for the on field activities, not the commentators. We could have Ty Keough and Jack Edwards up there for all I care! :)

4. socdoc

socdoc New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    CapeCod MA
    More meat and less gravey would be nice. Chapman seems pleasant and is strong on the history and personalities in the game, but his tactical analysis does not add much and is clearly not a priority for this broadcast team. Perhaps they are not free to criticize as much as the current situation deserves.

5. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Are we going to do this after every game now?

:/

6. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
  7. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with JMMUSA, his pronunciations are horrible. I find it hard to focus on the "on-field" activities (goyette82) with all that mumbo-jumbo stuff being said. Let Adrian do his part and you do yours - quietly. Although, it is better than listening to jack and ty.

8. Kanu

Kanu New Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Owerri, Nigeria
    JMMUSA8 obviously has a problem with Doug, or he wouldn't be grinding this ax again.
    Why don't you take it up with him directly?

But then, why would Doug want to be concerned with the uninformed opinions of some sn0tty 15 year old is beyond me.

Doug and Adrian are fine. Far better than other MLS teams that I've heard.

9. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have already chimed in on the talents of Doug and Adrian, so I will focus on another broadcast topic.

When Braeden Cloutier joined our little club, he himself pronounced his last name, "clue-tear", the "tear", as in what comes dribbling out of your eye. However, all I ever hear is "Clue-tea-yea" from everyone.
    Anybody know the story on this. Was he having a senior moment and he misspronounced his own name, or has he just given up, and doesn't care.

(Yeah, I know...this one is truely weighing on your brain!)

-john

10. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you rather have him look like a moron every week pronoucing the players names wrong or bring it to his attention (through the use of these boards because he does go here) so he can correct it.

snotty 15 year old?, can you even subtract because 2002 from 1984 is 18, but my birthday hasnt come yet so I'm 17. My opinions are based on facts, and the fact is that he can't pronouce Cloutier's and Lalas' name. I would rather help him not look like an idiot and get better. Yes, commentating is hard, but some constructive criticism can, and probably will, help him.

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think JMMUSA8 and others mean well, but need perhaps to allow a bit more time. It doesn't help anything, nor is it accurate to say that he looks like a moron (That is not constructive.) We all agree that the current team is better than Jack and Ty, Meterparel and other narratively challenged broadcasters. I don't sense that anyone wants to change the current line-up.

It would be nice if the critics would remember that Doug is one of us. Again, for myself, I find Doug's lack of network make-over refreshing.

12. sandman012

sandman012 Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Providence
    Forget 15, you seem like a spoiled 12 yo ... here's some constructive criticism: look up the word 'tact' in the dictionary.

I myself have no problems with Doug's commentating ... who cares if he's not ready to take over the mic at Anfield, at least he's not obnoxiously bad like what servered up on ESPN.

13. Cluetear

Cluetear New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Cloutier pronounciation

When Braeden Cloutier joined our little club, he himself pronounced his last name, "clue-tear", the "tear", as in what comes dribbling out of your eye. However, all I ever hear is "Clue-tea-yea" from everyone.
    Anybody know the story on this. Was he having a senior moment and he misspronounced his own name, or has he just given up, and doesn't care.

------------------------------------

Senior moment? He's um 27?!?!

Our last name is pronounced Cloutier "clue-tear". (NO this isn't Braeden Himself!!!!) When he is here in the Midwest and was playing in the NPSL and with the San Diego Sockers of the WISL he went with how we grew up... "clue-tear". When he played in Germany out of high-school, our name being French and the fact that he was in Europe, they pronounced it with a French pronounciation.
    When he was drafted by the MetroStars, they began pronouncing it with the French pronounciation and it has stuck through his MLS career. Funny thing is, our grandfather is from Maine...And the proper pronounciation is totally different then "clue-tee-ay" or "clue-tear".
    No it doesn't bother him, he usually answers to either!
    Just thought I'd straighten you out...

14. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, Chapman doesn't have golden pipes, but so what? He doesn't distract from the game, like Ty, Jack etc. Damn, I remember the idiot we had the first year, Jimmy Rogers? Constantly coming up with analogies to other sports.
    Chapman and Healey are the best we've had.

15. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Cloutier pronounciation

Thanks for the "straightening".
    I can sleep now.
    :D
    -john

16. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Re: Cloutier pronounciation

Welcome aboard! I'm guessing your either his brother or sister. I think it's pretty funny that you decided to come along immediately after he was mentioned! :) If you want to unite with the other Rev (well former now) brother, search for Tiki Tsakaris.