Douchebag announcers

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by whymetroswhy, Jul 4, 2005.

1. whymetroswhy

whymetroswhy New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Hillsdale, NJ
    Anyone else think the announcers for the Real feed were ridiculous. I really couldn't stand listening anymore but when there is no video you are kinda forced to. Not only am I mad at them now but this fvckin result really fires me. Everything that went RSL's way fine but every other call was ridiculous apparently. Best part aparently RSL deserved this...even though it didn't sound that way to me.
    I don't even want to type about it anymore. Both bradleys and Wells shoot yourselves. Agoos take your massive calf muscles and get the hell outta here cause that's all you are good for. We just blew a 2 goal lead and man advantage to the fvckin kings of Utah???

2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Dude, DON'T MESS WITH THE BULLDOG!

3. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I was gonna have a Brian Leetch avatar if they won the game too.

pansies

4. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    They were beyond ridiculous.

5. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Knowing that the game would be listened to by Metro fans, it appears that the play-by-play guy tried to be somewhat neutral at times, especially when pointing out that the Metros were called for twice as many fouls as RSL.

Rather than behaving like a radio "analyst", the British dude gave no insight to the game whatsoever, and sounded more like some drunken fan.

Their lack of knowledge of the MetroStar players was astounding. At least on several occasions, they were shocked that Magee was "playing in midfield on the flank". Also, they said that "Reagan" was coming into the game as a sub.

6. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Seriously what the hell is with the Brian Leetch references. I know hockey is on strike, but I didn't know the born agains cared about a Canadian game.

I didn't mind the play by play guy, but the color man was a joke. Made Wynalda look like a professional.

Atleast, they know Eddie Gaven is good.

7. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pbp guy was Salt Lakes #1 soccer hater before RSL came to town... he is coming around, but still really doesn't know the sport... let alone who any of the players for Eastern Conference teams are.

On the bright side... we have guys who travel with the team to every game to radio.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the new GM of MLS' first SUPERCLUB!!!! could, now that he's provided gainful employment for his old buddy, as his next act get that SUPERCLUB!!!! an English radio deal so that you guys wouldn't be forced to listen to the other team's douchebag announcers.

9. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah, he did sound like a fan. He said the infameous "we." At least Harkes or Waldo have an excuse if they ever say it. That guy? Please? The constant mockery of the ref was horrible. MLS should spend more money on professional commentators so us fans know what's going on.

10. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The British guy gets alittle extra respect around Salt Lake because some guy named Paul Scholes is his cousin.

But to that end... in Salt Lake we are lucky enough to have all of our away games with the exception of one on TV... so they can put whoever they want on radio and we really don't care.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that what got him the job?

"My cousin is Paul Scholes."

"You're hired."

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even Alexi Lalas can do much about the economics of New York City metro area radio. That doesn't happen until we're a super-Superclub.

13. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    That, and the Carbeque.

14. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was probably more like this...

I own a car dealership and several other companies...
    I am your largest local sponsor...
    The guy doing it now doesn't want to do it...
    I don't like sitting in my luxury box anyhow...
    Sure I will fill in for a few games...

...two weeks later...

RSL: We want you to do color full time.
    Scholes: Sure I guess... you twisted my arm.

But, that being said I have only heard one game he was on and he did a good job on that one... however, it is hard if your pbp guy isn't the best.

P.S. Does the pbp guy still call the 18 yard box "The Kitchen"..?

15. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Yeah, he still calls it the kitchen.

And our defender is Chris Leitch. Brian Leetch plays hockey (when they play hockey, that is), and no longer in New York.

16. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, we're a superclub. Radio? we don't need no stinkin radio.

jefe - we've only been bitching about that fact for 10 years. It would seem no station wants to carry us/Stillitano/Sackiewicz said we didn't need one.

(that said, this is the first time in two years that I can remember that the game wasn't available)

17. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    That 'cast from SLC is not supposed to be an unbiased report for all soccer fans...it's by and for the local team.

Sure, they are ridiculous announcers, but cripes...get mad at your own friggin' team for not having it together enough to conjure up an english language radio deal, or even a one-off webcast (of which all is required is a warm body with a voice, an internet-connected laptop with a mic attached, and a Live365 account ).

18. fan

fan New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    That's called "colour" with a "u". They didn't bother me, though. Yes, they were completely biased, but they are broadcasting on a Salt Lake City radio station--local loyalty is fine given the context, and probably helps SLC have a fanbase. When you've got a team with as poor a record as RSL, blaming the ref does, at least, help keep you rooting for the team!

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, c'mon. There's something like 40,000 radio stations in metro NYC, right? I'm sure that there's gotta be one that'll carry little ole Metro for a reasonable price, even if it would be right after the Bollywood movie reviews.

Or the club could spring for an audio webcast.

Whatever.

20. AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    Have the metro girlz get naked on howard stern :D

21. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls