Dos Santos vs. Adu

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Sanchito, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    OK... assuming the guy really is 16, despite the fact that typically players from Nigeria, Ghana, Mali, etc., normally look older and probably are, based on experience I know that good young players who are quickly rushed to play with adults normally end up bitter, disenchanted with the game, frustrated because physically or mentally can't compete, easily injured, and sometimes have attitude problems.
    No doubt Adu can be the standard of American soccer, but I think he's too green and I'm afraid he's beginning to stagnate. At the age of 16.

2. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América
    Its not so much adu's age thats hurting him in the MLS, its that he is very small. he doesnt have the strength to be playing with adults at this stage in his career. Playing with guys his age in the US wont help him either. He would just be showing off and not developing. Thats one advantage that Dos Santos does have. He is playing in a very well developed youth system with kids his age. He gets to develope his game, while growing more accostomed to the rigors of year round play. Thats the problem with the laws against the transfer of youth players. Yes, most kids that age would not be served by moving to foreign countries, but in some instances, it retards the development of players

3. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Besides now, which is just expected to be 3 games, and one playoff game last season, when has adu been injured?

He also hasn't been stagnating, he seems to be getting better and better imo.

4. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Don't you think he was done an injustice by not playing in any of the european youth leagues? The few times I've seen him he has not looked well. In the youth leagues he would've developed much more slowly and become acclimated to a more physical style of play over time, as opposed to throwing him in deep water right away and, in essence, asking him to sink or swim.

5. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    well, in the beginning of last year he wasn't looking very good, but he has 2 goals in his last 3 games, and is doing very well this year, if you go to the season grades thread on the dc forum, he's the highest rated attacker.

6. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see people talking about a guy they have zero clue about. Adu has VASTLY improved from last season with United . If your gonna judge him off one game or off CCC then don't talk please (specially when his team was out of season form). He did have a dissapointing appearence in the YWC were he only played good vs the Argies. I don't see many 15yr olds joining Pro leagues and dominating their first year anyway. Maybe taking on the ManU offer would of been the best move for him but obviously he was ready for a bigger challenge.

As for DosSantos , I don't know who he is or seen him play. Im pretty sure comparing him to Adu is like comparing apples to oranges.

Im pretty sure a better comparison would be getting any random US player that won the MilkCupElite Title to DosSantos.

7. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    I'll do so, thanks.

8. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Which is precisely why I asked MLS fans for thier opinions. I'm trying to keep this thread civil, no need to be antagonistic.

I do think the ManU offer would have been best, but time will tell.

From what I've seen of dos Santos is incredible pace, playmaking abilities, and nice finishing ability. In other words he's similair to Adu. As far as Apples and Oranges, I don't think that would be accurate. They are the same age and both are playing at high quality. Adimittedly, Adu has it tougher because he's playing with men and he's still a child. Dos Santos looks like a man among children when he plays.

I hope Adu and Dos Santos are showcased in the upcoming U17 WC in Peru.

9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Adu won't be at the U-17 in Peru since you can only play in 1 U17 tourney and he played in the last one.

10. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    correctomundo. Plus they don't need Adu, the current u17 team is a favorite to win @ Peru.

11. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Funny, so is Mexico. :D

12. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    You were warned.

13. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    At least he gave some insight. All you're doing is calling for the thread to be closed.

14. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mmmm last time I heard it was Brazil and Turkey as main Favorites and US gaining up on them. BUT I don't keep up with all u17 news so w/e

15. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Along with other posters (including two mods) that have been on these boards long enough to agree.

16. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Of course. dmike is getting news from usa.com and I'm getting it from mexico.com Brazil of course are the ones to beat. I'm really excited about this tournament, or maybe I'm degenerate soccer fan, but these tourneys showcase the future stars so hopefully someone will break out.

17. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Whatever. Quit trolling this thread please.

18. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    na I got my news off the MilkCup Elite tournament :)

19. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Your definition of trolling needs to be refined a bit.

20. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    The U19 team played well...

21. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Whatever...you serve no purpose. Keep doing your all important job of turning oxygen into carbon dioxide.

22. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Better example.

23. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Funny how I hit the nail on the head though.

24. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    Hey Chanchito, take it easy. Maybe you should take this thread to the U.S.A/mls boards.

Didn't you say you were trying to keep this thread civil? Great example there.

25. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Listen I told her that if she wanted to contribute cool but if not just leave. It seems like she's dissapointed that the thread isn't crashing and burning.