Dos mexicanos, a Uruguay

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Various Styles, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    MONTEVIDEO, 14 de febrero (EFE).- El equipo uruguayo Fénix contrató a los futbolistas mexicanos Euclides (Uziel es su nombre correcto) Lozano y Joel Parada, para reforzar el equipo que participará por primera vez, desde la próxima semana, en la Copa Libertadores de América.

"Son futbolistas jóvenes, pero con experiencia de primera división en un futbol de nivel alto y competitivo como el mexicano", dijo hoy el presidente del Fénix, Mario Sanseverino.

Lozano es un delantero de 21 años; Parada, de 20, juega como defensa central, y ambos provienen del Toluca.

El técnico del Fénix, Juan Ramón Carrasco, observó las condiciones de ambos durante varios días y aprobó su contratación.

Sanseverino destacó la gran ilusión que hay entre los jugadores, los técnicos, los seguidores y los directivos por la primera participación del equipo en la Copa Libertadores.

"Aunque tenemos un grupo duro y con rivales de renombre, esperamos que el equipo dé que hablar en el torneo", agregó.

El Fénix, que hace tres temporadas estaba en la Segunda división, tendrá como rivales al boliviano The Strongest, el brasileño Corinthians y el mexicano Cruz Azul.

El equipo uruguayo, que ganó su pasaje al torneo continental como campeón de la Liguilla disputada el pasado diciembre, debutará el 19 de febrero en Montevideo frente a los brasileños.

El Corinthians inició su participación en el grupo 8 el pasado miércoles 5 con una victoria en casa frente al Cruz Azul por 1-0.

Carrasco difícilmente pueda contar para ese partido con Martín Ligüera, cerebro del equipo, debido a que el centrocampista internacional sufrió un desgarro muscular durante un torneo que jugó la selección uruguaya sub-23 a comienzo de mes en Hong Kong.

http://www.esto.com.mx/esto/030215/fut_inter/1fut_inter.asp

2. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    V.S.

Is there a website that lists all the current Mexicans playing abroad?

Thanks for the info..

3. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    futbol de primera

There was a site will all the information which RDL had posted last year but the Big Soccer Crash erased the thread and we havent been able to find that info again. Now we all know about Marquez and Torrado. There is also a kid named Hugo Sanchez (Not to be confused with Hugol's kid of the same name Hugo Sanchez Portugal) who was taken from Mexicos 2nd Div to Atletico de Madrid reserves. This info was also erased by the Crash. I remeber he had a 2yr deal.

We can add to this list a few unheard of Mexies scattered in the Central American leagues, many of these players with English surnames. I think there is one player left in the Peruvian Club Cienciano which had three Mexies during their League Championship title and Copa Libertadores run, I saw the game where they beat Gremio of Brazil, one of those players is now with Tecos.

Other than that we have a few reserve players abroad. I know Chivas had two youngsters playing in an Ajax youth team. And i think some Americanistas in Boca Jrs..

4. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Spain

Primera Division:
    Gerardo Torrado (Sevilla)

Segunda Division:
    Miguel Cabranes (Marino de Luanco)
    Jaime Cuesta (Alavés)
    Hugo Sanchez (Atl. de Madrid)

France

Primera Division:
    Rafael Marquez (Monaco)

Holland

There are actually some players in the reserve teams and lower division in the dutch league. Hugo Sanchez's nephew, Hernan Sanchez, plays for one of the lower division team but forgot the naem of the team. America has sent some of thier young ones to train and play in Holland. America has some projects with Real Madrid as well as some other Dutch teams.. they are not signed but are transfered for months at a time.

Peru

Primera Division:
    Gerardo Fernández (FBC Melgar)

Uruguay

Primera Division:
    Uzziel Lozano (Fenix)
    Joel Parada (Fenix)

Panama

Primera Division:
    José Luis Nava (Chorrillo FC)

There used to be alot of them last season in the panamanian league.

My personal take on this is, If its not Europe (Liga, EPL, Serie A, French, Bundis, Dutch, Turkish), then no need to go else where in the Americas, unless its with a team like River, Boca, Fluminense, Colo Colo, Independiente, San Lorenzo and a couple more because these team seem to be watched alot by the big 4

I am not saying that the Chilean or Peruvian leagues are bad...its that the MExican League is on par or better than them. On the other hand, if it is a youth development, I would be for interchanging young players.. so that these young player can see other ways of doing things... but at the professional level, the Mexican League is very competitive.

5. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Good info, had no idea that their was this many Mexicans abroad. Any idea how those guys in the European leagues are doing?

6. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    You list Panama, but not the US? Ouch!

7. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Byron Alvarez (metros) and Antonio Martinez (Dallas)... didnt those 2 guys get thier US citizenship?

I remember reading an article a while back saying that Martinez wanted to hold out and play with the Mexican national team.... but then not too long ago... he said he would be open to playing on the USMNT or something along those lines....

Dont mean to troll.... but Mexicans for the most part dont give a damn about the Mexicans who play in the MLS, Central American Leagues, or much of South America because they dont need to go there. Unless a Mexican goes to a big team in South America (Boca, River, Fluminense, Colo Colo, etc) he should stay in the MFL.

8. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    If a kid is raised in Mexico, this probably makes sense. The decision might be different for US-raised Mexicans. Even though Carlos Ochoa did well in Mexico, other players have struggled with homesickness and team politics.

In addition to the players you mentioned, the Galaxy have a 21-year-old defensive midfielder named Jesus Ochoa. He is said to be quite talented, and he has expressed interest in playing for Mexico someday. He chose MLS over the MFL because he felt it would be a better platform for eventually playing in Europe.

As for who has a US passport, I'm not sure, but does it matter? IIRC, Hugo Sanchez obtained a Spanish passport, and he wasn't disowned.

9. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Mexicans Abroad

Originally posted by beineke

In addition to the players you mentioned, the Galaxy have a 21-year-old defensive midfielder named Jesus Ochoa. He is said to be quite talented, and he has expressed interest in playing for Mexico someday. He chose MLS over the MFL because he felt it would be a better platform for eventually playing in Europe.

If he is 21 and not playing then he is not as Talented as we are told. In the FMF players are begining to get debuted at much younger age than before. By age 21 a talented player will allready have played between two to three years with the first team..

As for who has a US passport, I'm not sure, but does it matter? IIRC, Hugo Sanchez obtained a Spanish passport, and he wasn't disowned.

Players that get dual citenzenship dont get disowned in Mexico. Im sure RDL was refering to the fact that the Mexican-American players are more American than Mexican. More likely to play for the USMNT nats than el Tri. He even gave the example of Martinez..

Total Number of Posts: 6969 Hopefully this is an Omen :)

10. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: Mexicans Abroad

wow, that means you get a piece in 2003?

on the other hand this post is a GREAT invitation for any clones of deseased Corona man!

3 mexies in MLS......awsome, one big reason to stay tuned to the 10team league for 3 months!

11. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Mexicans Abroad

No, just raw. Remember that US standouts like Armas and Sanneh broke through at age 25. Also, wasn't Carlos Ochoa 21 or 22 by the time he started out in Mexico?

AFAIK, Martinez has decided not to get a US passport and is planning on trying his luck in the MFL after this season. It's not like we're talking about Carlos Bocanegra or Nicolas Rimando here.

Sucks for the Mexican-born, US-raised kids who aren't accepted on either side...

12. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Mexicans Abroad

No, just raw.

Mexican Soccer in general has been criticized for not debuting players at a younger age. Coaches are being pushed to debut them. Some have done it with success and other have failed. Legitiamte reserve seasons have been implemented and are showing results. There is no point in debuting an 17-18 year old kid that is not ready. Clubs that do have the financial backing do debut young players , but the team that are constantly fighting relegation acquire one season players (Colibres, Puebla, Leon) dont risk it. They are also thinking of increasing the roster. IF a player is not registered for a particular season, he cant play. It wont be a financial burden since he is already with the reserve team or affiliated team in the second division (primera A). But I have to agree with Various Styles... at 21, if you are not already in the First Division, its best to finish up your studies and find another profession. Going to the MLS or the Peruvian League or Panamanian league is not going to get the attention of the national team coach. Oscar Olvera tired his luck in Mexico. Then went to Cienciano and became a star. He was voted the best international player last season. Helped them become runners up and qualified to the Copa Libertadores for the first time and eventually losing in the quarters by Club America of Mexico. Afterwards, he tried his luck again in the MFL and nothing. You have to respect a person that still wants to hold on to that dream an they make nice stories for the heart, but like my pops use to say, dreams are not enough. NOW, there is a difference with a player that has been in the 1st division for a couple years and then debuts on the national team at the age of 25. I do think that if you are debuting on the national team at 25 its not meant to be. But once in a while there are those players that dont get called up because they dont play on a serious club. Best case for this is Luis Hernandez. He should have been debuted at a lot younger age but for reasons unknown..he was not.

Also, wasn't Carlos Ochoa 21 or 22 by the time he started out in Mexico?

Carlos Ochoa in a way is kind of a tragic story. Both his parents died and then was raised by his older borthers. They immigrated to the US but every summer he would return to Mexico and play in different amateur leagues. Him going back to Mexico was by accident. Carlos Hermosillo helped him out and gave a good word and then the rest is history. His lucked failed in Necaxa but then tried his luck in Tigrillos (second division) and then went up to Tigres.

AFAIK, Martinez has decided not to get a US passport and is planning on trying his luck in the MFL after this season. It's not like we're talking about Carlos Bocanegra or Nicolas Rimando here.

A US passport wont deny him the right of playing on the Mexican National Team. But, if he does not wish to retian his Mexican Citizenhip then he cant play. Mexico does allow dual citizenship.

Sucks for the Mexican-born, US-raised kids who aren't accepted on either side...

I think that if a Mexican born, US raised kid seriously want to play for Mexico, he needs to build contacts with Mexican teams. Many Mexican teams and even the federation have contact here in the US. They set up tournaments, they do set up summer camps, etc. If they dont take advantage of that, then its thier fualt. Playing at a division 1 or 2 college is not enough to get noticed especially in Mexico. Its not like they play year around or play international cups. Being a 21 year old senior and playing 30+ games without any international games does not work in your favor, especially when you have kids who put their studies on the back burner (taking correspondance courses) and dedicating themselves to the football club... traveling to South America, Europe, Asia.

13. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Mexicans Abroad

I agree that Mexican clubs are starting to make inroads in the US, and eventually, that route should become the best option for young talent. But those programs are still small-scale, with little in the way of history or proven success stories that I'm aware of. At this point, it's not clear whether the Mexican establishment is fully committed to building the pipeline.

One of the best young talents in the US is 19-year-old defensive midfielder Aaron Lopez. He was born in Mexico and hasn't been called up for US youth national teams, so it's safe to conclude that he's a Mexican citizen. As a sophomore, he was Most Valuable Player for national champions UCLA. By pursuing an education, however, he's clearly not taking the best route for his soccer career.

Does that mean Mexico should write him off? I really don't think so. Remember, Clint Mathis played four years of college soccer, as did Eddie Pope, Chris Armas, and Brian McBride. Claudio Reyna and Josh Wolff played three. The bottom line is this: if a player doesn't come through a professional development system, you've got to allow him more time to mature. Sometimes the results will be impressive.

Surely, you'll admit that some of these players are good enough to play for El Tri...

14. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Mexicans Abroad

I agree that Mexican clubs are starting to make inroads in the US, and eventually, that route should become the best option for young talent. But those programs are still small-scale, with little in the way of history or proven success stories that I'm aware of. At this point, it's not clear whether the Mexican establishment is fully committed to building the pipeline.

Those establishments have been set up since the late 70s. When Mexican promoters saw that there was a demand for Mexican soccer in Mexican communties in the US, they acted on it ands has paid off from a financial standpoint both to the promoters and the federation.

Now, there wont be many success stories if you ask me. Its against the law to drop out at the age of 14 here in the US (though its not really enforced). In Mexico, it also against the law, but there are exceptions as well. A kid will put his studies on the back burner and dedicate themselves full time to the profession. Some of them become professional at the ages of 14-15 playing in Tercera Division (Fouth Division). You cant compare that to playing varsity soccer or recreational soccer leagues.

The FMF is committed to establish that pipeline and have invested money. Whether it produces players or money is a different matter. SO far it has produced money.

One of the best young talents in the US is 19-year-old defensive midfielder Aaron Lopez. He was born in Mexico and hasn't been called up for US youth national teams, so it's safe to conclude that he's a Mexican citizen. As a sophomore, he was Most Valuable Player for national champions UCLA. By pursuing an education, however, he's clearly not taking the best route for his soccer career.

True. ITs great to take care of your studies, but there are other ways where you can dedicate more time to soccer. I know that in Mexico, many clubs have these programs with high schools and colleges where basically they eliminate all the bullshyt courses and get down to the nitty gritty. If you think about it, 3/4 of the material that you take in College is bullshyt and just a way to provide a teacher a job by making them mandatory courses. I love history and art and astronomy, but if i didnt have to take them... i wouldnt waste my money on them considering i can study that on my own free time. Thats why i have never bought into that crap about the reason they make them mandatory is so you can be well rounded. Who are they fooling?

Does that mean Mexico should write him off? I really don't think so. Remember, Clint Mathis played four years of college soccer, as did Eddie Pope, Chris Armas, and Brian McBride. Claudio Reyna and Josh Wolff played three. The bottom line is this: if a player doesn't come through a professional development system, you've got to allow him more time to mature. Sometimes the results will be impressive.

What i find amazing is that most US players say that they played alot against foreigners (legal or illegals). That in a way gets them to see different styles. But soccer in the US is a social status sport (we are not talking about the illegal underground leagues either because supposedly they dont exist). It is played by upper middle to rich kids. They have access nice facilities, weight rooms, nutriotionist, etc. And thats just at the junior and high school level. I think that is what works in thier favor. Because once a kid turns pro or gets signed in MExico and most footballing nations.. that when they have access to that (facilities, weight rooms etc). So most of these Mexican Americans that gone through that are physically fit, but lack skill and international experience.

I dont think its feasible to give them time to mature from a financial standpoint. You get a kid at age 15 (assume) and you invest money on him and take him to South America or Europe....are you going to put that kid on hold at age 19 because some Mexican college kid with no international experience is pretty good? He is going to have to be that much better than the kid that went through the system for him to get a chance. I also studied college in Mexico and played one semester of club ball over there. These kids came from middle upper social enviroments and were more physical and physically fit (diet was alot better and healthier) but when they played friendlies against 2nd division teams (third division in actuality), they could even hold thier jock straps. When those players from the thrid division move on up to second and first division... they will have the physique, the size, and the exposure.

I am not saying that you should keep your eyes closed, but time and results are not in thier favor. He will have to be that much better to get a chance

Surely, you'll admit that some of these players are good enough to play for El Tri...

Pope would be nice... the rest would not suit our style.

15. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    2 preguntas:

quien es el mexicano, Batatista que esta entrenando con Colorado rapids, dicen que viene del atlas.

cuando debutan y si es cierto que viajaron los jugadores en prestamo a Uruguay?

16. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Alberto Rizo... some kid that debuted back in 1999-2000 under Lavolpe. Didnt really do much. Its not like Atlas has had a solid defender in that position in the last couple years.... He should be like 23-24 by now. I dont remember, but I think he played with Leon too.

HE shouldnt go to MLS. IF he still has the illusion to play for the Mexican National team.... he needs to stay in MExico. Go to another club. I am pretty sure he has ownership of his card considering he has not done anything with Atlas for 4 years. They probabaly released him.

dont know when they are suppose to debut... but the word is that they were hired for the copa libertadores.

17. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    este es el Fenix 2003- no aparecen Joel y uziel

Fénix: (nomina que usaron vs, Corinthians)
    Mauricio Caro - Juan Cabrera, Jesús Cono Aguiar, Mario Carballo y Vagner Souza - Juan Ramón Curbelo (Richard Pellejero, 22), Marcelo Broli - Andrée González (Milton Cortés, 46) - Cristian Castellanos, Germán Hornos (Marcelo Otero, 58) y Javier Cámpora.
    DT. Juan Ramón Carrasco.

el argentino Javier campora es el goleador del equipo fundado en 1916

18. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    ESTE ES EL FENIX QUE HOY PERDIO VS. STRONGEST

Fénix:
    1 Ignacio DE LEON, 4 Juan CABRERA, 6 Mario CARBALLO, 2 Jesús AGUIAR, 5 Vagner SOUZA; 8 Marcelo BROLI, 19 Juan CURBELO, 14 Ardreé GONZALES, 21 Marcelo OTERO; 9 Germán HORNOS, 25 Héctor LOZANO

ALTERNARON: 18 Marcelo MENDEZ, 7 Cristian CASTELLANO y 17 Javier CAMPORA.

SUPLENTES: 22 Mauricio CARO, 20 Millón CORTEZ, 13 Nicolás VIGNERI, 16 Adrián MALVAREZ

DT: Juan Ramón CARRASCO

ni en la banca salen los joe & Uziel?

19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    efernandez9

ni en la banca salen los joe & Uziel?

Calma, que estos pibes Mexicanos tienen poco en Uruguay. Primero tienen que entrar en ritmo del equipo CAMPEON. No nomas van a llegar a tumbar puestos, especialmente cuando tienen muy poca experencia en primera. Ni en el Toluca jugaban.

Primero se la van a rifar en juegos de Liga, despues poco a poco tendran su oportunidad de jugar en La Libertadores.

20. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    para el fenix no se necesita mucho ritmo de campeon

estan en la copa como 3rds del campeonato de ellos

Lo de experiencia seria interesante que se la ganaran ya!

hoy salio el rumor de una propuesta en grande para el toluca - Olimpia quiere a saturnino cardozo!

21. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

Joel was signed only for the regular season and can't play in the Libertadores.

22. Heródoto

Heródoto New Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Guanajuato, México
    con todo respeto, salvo al opción de jugar en la lobertadores no veo en que beneficie a estos chicos estar en el Fénix en vez de jugar para el Toluca.
    Si al menos jugaran en Nacional o Peñarol, y aun así la liga mexicana es mucho más competitiva, en fin que al menos encontrarán trabajo. ojalá les vaya bien