Dortmund vs Freiburg - BL Matchday 3

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by astrophyz, Oct 3, 2020.

1. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    No match day thread??

Here's my take after the game..

I won't complain TOO much, 3 points, 4 goal difference, no goals conceded.

However, I'll complain just a little: I still mostly like the way we played against Bayern in the Supercup (Favre's B Team) than this setup.

Notice that 2 of our goals came from us pressing, 1 from a set piece (can't remember what led to it) and 1 from a give away by their defense. So, barring perhaps the lead up to the set piece goal, none from our boring build up play.

BvB_Peon repped this.
  2. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Strange, wanted to start the thread, bu thought it must’ve been something wrong with my browser...

First 30 minutes were so dreadful that when the goal came I wasn’t even happy about it. It looked much like the match plan was to slow the game down. Apart of Witsel it was also Reyna, surprisingly, who braked many attack attempts.
    After leading 3:0 it looked boring again, no interest of going forward.
    Can’t wait until LF gets fired. Unfortunately, with this flattering result everybody forgets the boring game

BvB_Peon repped this.
  3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I missed most of the match and only got to see the last 20 minutes. But I heard it was pretty dreadful until we scored the first goal which was a really good finish. After that, we apparently got chances right away to increase the lead before halftime which just shows how dependent our football is to somehow score first.

4. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    “They pressed very aggressively, it was really hard to control the ball” says Favre. What a coward he is! Let them press us? Freiburg? At home? What will happen when we’ll meet stronger teams?
    It was a crappy game, and so was the first against BMG. Watched Union Berlin on Friday, they played way better

BvB_Peon repped this.
  5. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Interesting that Passlack is starting over Morey who was on the bench ...

6. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Super funny and totally expected how much Favre emphasized the game being "sehr sehr schwer" - it wasn't really that tough, especially after the first goal. Fitting that Reus created it by dispossessing a Freiburg midfielder with some good old gegenpressing - it was like he was reminding the team of Dortmund's footballing DNA. Otherwise a solid way to go into the break.

BvB_Peon repped this.
  7. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    You must mean subed in at the 83rd minute. Passlack didnt start... And I think it was to rest both are left/right back so it was like for like sub.

Jiri Havran repped this.
  8. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    You are right, Reus is the one that changed the game by picking the pocket of the defender there. Up until then it looked like the Augsburg game, but even worse if that is possible!!

Exactly what I was saying to my son we Either win 3+ to nothing or we draw/lose...
    The Favre strategy just does not work. What ends up making or braking the game is luck or the player form/mentality.

9. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Of course he didn’t start, but still, he was preferred before Morey

10. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...Jadon was not in the squad on Saturday with a cold. But he did make his way over to London the same evening to throw a surprise birthday party for Tammy Abraham. Might face a club suspension?

11. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018

Not sure. I thought Reyna played very well and was serving up goals on a platter

12. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I couldn't watch the on Saturday. But I am furious seeing the line up. Still happy we won, but Favre is a joke. How could Dahoud not start after his performance in the super cup and Billingham's poor performance the weekend before.

Some players are clearly against him which is why he is picking the kids like Bellingham and Reyna. They may be great talents but they should not be starting.

I will watch extended highlights tonight and give my thoughts on the match.

13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, Dahoud was not going to start on Saturday after going 90 in midweek. I hope he starts Germany's friendly (from which many of the Bayern players are excluded) and gets a chance to excel in the Nations League matches. If he can deliver on a weekly basis, it could improve BVB quite a bit.

14. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Hmmm.. Delaney also played the full 90 and he came in for Bellingham. I would have expected Favre to reward Dahoud for his good game, especially that we weren't really in need of defensive reinforcement at 3-0 up.

15. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I think he also didn't want to rub it in by bringing on more attacking players when we were up 3:0 and in full control of the game. Dahoud should have started alongside Witsel however.

astrophyz repped this.