"dont' worry, be happy!"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dude8, Jul 8, 2005.

1. dude8

dude8 Member

Apr 2, 2002
    phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    picture in your head a dancing robin williams from the video...and chew on this.

we won.

with, for the most part, a scrub team.

when we absolutely had to, we scored three goals.

some youngsters got a look.

some players hopefully got their last look.

no one got hurt.

job finished a game.

oh captain my captain "brought" it.

as for the rest, about how bad we looked, line-up choices, who we'd rather see, etc. etc. etc., well, the next really important game is coming up on the 17th of august.

till then, it's all academic, and fodder for bs armchair coaching.

ain't the bs great?

2. HogDaddy

HogDaddy Member

Mar 27, 2001
    St. Charles, MO
    For the most part, I agree with this post. I'm not one for hand-wringing and knashing of teeth at the occasional bad performance. But we have so few opportunities to try new players it seems like this game, and perhaps the whole tournament, is a waste of an opportunity.

I was glad to see Sanneh and Armas in this camp. I was hoping they had something to still offer at this level. I have not seen the game (no Telefutura) but no one has anything nice to say about Tony's play, and Chris has way more bad reviews than good or even average ones.

I was unhappy to see Casey in camp. He hasn't shown me anything in the times I have seen him play. And the reviews seem to indicate this hasn't changed.

We did get a look at some new players, Conrad, Santino, Davis. Some of these experiments will work out, some won't. That's the way it goes, and what is to be expected. But to see such disappointment in the veterans seems to indicate that they shouldn't have been included in the first place. If they were close to international caliber, but just short, we could say 'We'll, I'm glad we found that out now". But as it was, it seems like their time in camp and on the field was just a waste.

So it comes down to a lost opportunity to find someone who could help us next year.

3. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    It is a good tournament at an appropriate time that allows undiscovered young talent to showcase their skills in front of international competition. That being said (and I know we aren't supposed to gripe) WHY:

-Play Sanneh and Armas. It isn't like they are having respectable seasons for the Fire, and they seem way out of touch with national team consideration, so it just seems like Bruce is giving them their swan song, which I am fine with.

-Not call up certain youngsters. Benny F., Spector, Wynne, even Gaven - these guys are on the cusp of the senior team- I believe the Gold Cup before WC02 was what got Demarcus his call up to Korea. Why not let that happen again?

-try a different line-up every single game. We haven't seen whether or not this will happen, but hopefully something along the lines of it does. I really don't care if we win this or not.

4. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    1. As Bruce said in a recent interview, he wanted to see if any vets (Sanneh, Armas) could still contribute. Right now the answer is looking like "No" but understand that the question needed to be asked.

2. Those who can no longer do, teach. Sanneh and Armas could be valuable teachers for Gooch, Dempsey, etc.

Benny - No professional experience. None.
    Wynne - Ditto.
    Spector - Winning a spot in ManU first team will do more for his WC hopes than the Gold Cup.
    Gaven - Just missed 3 weeks from the Metros for the WYC...no way he was going to miss another month for the Gold Cup. Period.

Given the proximity of the early games to one another, I think you'll get your wish.

You'll see the big boys come in the next round.

Does that help answer your questions? :cool:

5. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    I am fine with Sanneh and Armas lending their knowledge down, but hopefully that doesn't mean you have to cap them every GC game, which doesn't look likely.

As far as professional experience goes, I don't think you can truly discount international and collegiate-level games without merit. It never hurts for this mildly important tournament to test someone like Benny who is hot. Spector has never really been given the time (even in his own hometown) to show Bruce something. I guess for this tournament I would be more excited about youth seeing action then Frankie Hedjuk sporadically flaying a robotic arm.

6. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

Well, it's not a matter of whether I discount professional experience or not...it's Bruce...and he seems pretty clear that to get to the full international level, you have to have success at the pro level.

I too, would like to see more youth. I wanted to see Chad Marshall and Clyde Simms, etc. but Bruce will be Bruce.

And Frankie may well be a robot. I hope FIFA doesn't get word of this.

7. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question had already been answered if you had seen any of their play this year -- or last. No need to ask it again AND take a valuable opportunity away from someone who really deserved it.

The geezers can teach at their clubs, or as assistant coaches with the USMNT. They don't need to take a valuable roster spot to do that, much less take time on the field. After all, just what VALUE did Sanneh provide in a *teaching mode* yesterday? The wrong way to play defense?!? :rolleyes:

Ok ... leave the pros with their clubs, but bring Feilhaber and Wynne to soak up the environment. Especially over Sanneh, Armas, and Olsen. If you want to teach the up-n-comers, include them in the camp.

Missed opportunity by Arena ... and it was such a no-brainer... :(

8. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh ... like Convey? Simms? Olsen? Armas? Sanneh? Exactly HOW much *success* have these guys had on their club teams recently? Enough to warrant time with the National Team? Hardly.