Don't tell me that the VAR Thread is still going?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 EruditeHobo, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    You said it was a useless measurement, which is 100% objectively wrong, and all I said was that it was done for a purpose, listed some ways it might apply, and showed how it could be useful. What you seem to be saying is that YOU don't find it useful, and I frankly do not care. It has usefulness as a baseline which may factor in future decisions about how to alter/improve VAR. That gives it value.

Even if this were true (which is just an asserted anecdotal statement, so there's no reason to believe it is), I don't give a single shit what most people want or care about... and neither do you, since the only polling we have on this has people saying "put VAR in the prem" at a rate of around 3-to-1, which is an approval rate from multiple sources for what people "want" which I'm sure doesn't have any impact on your view of VAR.

Granted this latest tournament will have brought that number down to some degree, because these refs seem to be somewhat unprepared to execute VAR properly and concisely, but that's neither here nor there. Once the season starts, and refs aren't taking these crazy pauses except for pretty difficult calls, then we'll see what's what.

Either way I've tried to make clear I care about arguments, not feelings. And even though there are mostly feelings in this thread/topic, the reality is shitty refs are actually granting people some ok arguments against VAR, because even if we went call-by-call and agreed they are getting it 90% right, there really shouldn't be these kinds of gaps and waits. So it's really not useful to discuss, in principle, until we are reminded of how a better class of referee (overall) implements the system and is able to keep these stoppages down.

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have zero interest in discussing what VAR "could" cover... I don't have a crystal ball, and frankly that is an uninteresting conversation to me. So this is a fine jumping off point for other people, but I think we see with you wanting to talk about that and me not wanting to talk about that it can lead to problems.

Not to mention I'm not sure how you can talk about that either without reading/understanding the rules, not to mention not knowing what a penalty is... but I suppose that's a whole other subject.

3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Of course it's worth discussing when it leaves a situation where you think this is something like 50-50 and not a penalty... (and you think that I'm the one who can't spot a penalty??)

These are both workable forms of sane analysis, of course - but one is barely sane....

However you then leap casually into insanity by stating that you don't know how I can address the idea of what should have happened at a previous point in time... because I disn't read the rules created at a future point in time to what would have been that moment?? Or, based on the outcome of the thing I would have been involved in speculating on the input (beginning) of.
    Now you are really losing it........

consider this time continuum a precedes b which precedes c
    a = me and all the others saying what VAR should address
    b = committee stage deciding what VAR does address
    c = VAR in Real Time being what was agreed on

I don't have to read or understand the rules that were arrived at at a point in time after the discussion I'm positing should have been discussed, not to make a case that they should have been discussed.
    That's completely off the point of my speculation or insistence or whatever you want to call it.....

4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

most people only care about VAR stoppages insofar as they are actually happening
    Even if this were true (which is just an asserted anecdotal statement, so there's no reason to believe it is), I don't give a single shit what most people want or care about... and neither do you, since the only polling we have on this has people saying "put VAR in the prem" at a rate of around 3-to-1, which is an approval rate from multiple sources for what people "want" which I'm sure doesn't have any impact on your view of VAR.
    ---------- -------------- ----------------------

Well- for what it's worth I would wager that the rate is also about 3-1 concerning my bold bit above...

5. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You argue like Trump. And I've heard many people agree with me.

6. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He rescinded the card? I'm sorry, incorrect call or not, you can't tell a ref that you're going to rape his mother while he watches and then have the card rescinded because it was later deemed to not be a foul. Abusive language is abusive language. Period.

delaynomo and usscouse repped this.
  7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    50%? That's generous.

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #33 usscouse, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    actually granting people some ok arguments against VAR, because even if we went call-by-call and agreed they are getting it 90%right,

I didn't know Donald trump was posting here. Some people even say 100%.
    Just like the WWC.

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I agree...... however, it was funny.

It's a also a case of VAR actually being of some use for once....

What I'd like to know is how can a ref bend the rules like that to soothe and palliate his inner self, but then a ref categorically caaaan't in the case of the Australia defender that got sent off against Norway for a foul on the last player (undoubtedly a foul, but coming out of a 50-50 run together, and not from a situation where the defender was obviously beaten) last Saturday.
    These letter of the law rules need tweaking to allow refs to overturn the rulebook when an infraction is not obviously cynical or intentional.

I have a bee in my bonnet about this since the Arsenal v Barcelona final where a potentially classic game was ruined as a possibility by such a call.....

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I categorically DO NOT.

incidentally, asides like that are not part of an argument. The guy I was discussing this with said that he guessed that figures (unmeasured) had changed due to the present Women's WC and will be measured so afterwards.....

How is that any different to my saying I guess that an unknown ratio of something is 3-1???

No difference, frankly......

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think it's obvious from my postings amid the past 9,000,000 words or so that I'm not as bothered by the time-waste issue of VAR as some folks are...

It's the emotional offset that I am dead-set against. And will remain so.

Hobo and the VAR-bandwagon think that is an insane position, whereas I think it's just as valid a position as theirs, based on the idea that things good and bad tend to even out in bad sports calls for and against.... and for me it's always been a perfectly acceptable form of living through the sport waiting for that see-saw to lurch either way... and NOT some demoniac psychological auschwitz-equivalent assault upon the poor workings of the human soul that some of those offended by bad officiating seem to feel it always was.....
    (Unbearable it must have been.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:)

(Truth be told on the time-wasting - frankly, I'd prefer a situation where VAR expanded further and wasted even more time..... so that people might seriously return to discussing the other option of just having 4 officials referee a game....)

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I think VAR made a time jump backwards to the Pont of infraction, so it never really happened.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Which is exactly the type of garbage Trump says. My gut tells me this. Many people tell me that. I am sure most people would agree. All meaningless in a logical debate.

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39 EruditeHobo, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    zaq I've discussed that Serbia call ad nauseam... there are a number of fairly logical reasons to treat that the way it was treated, but again this is pointless to go down this road. If you haven't found anything convincing the previous times I've talked about that ONE specific play, then there's no sense in my repeating them. You can stop bringing that one play up now.

I don't care about one call, I've tried to say this again and again, I care about the extra 5% of calls VAR has gotten right which referee crews without VAR didn't get right. I don't care how you feel, I don't care about how anyone feels, I DO care that they preserve the overall feeling of the match while getting more important calls right. This, very clearly and obviously, requires VAR. Now hopefully in the prem next season the refs will take less time than these seemingly not very good or experienced women's World Cup refs are doing, which I agree haven't been doing a great job preserving the overall feeling/flow of the game despite getting a lot of these calls right. It's a tough balance, and my money is on the prem refs doing a much better job. But we'll have to wait and see how they do, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not going back to past points, like playing without white goalposts, or playing with a painted grapefruit instead of a ball, or American Imperialism, or the Nazis, or whether or not a player dragged back by their arm in the penalty box is a penalty or not (it is), and I'm not going to speculate about "what VAR will try to expand to" because I really, really do not care until they try to actually do it...

I'm not doing any of that anymore. So agree to disagree with a lot of what you've said about VAR, and just leaving it at that.

And please, please, if in the future you find yourself about to engage in a discussion that is specifically about the implementation of a set of rules... please do actually read the rules prior to participating.

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the difference -- the figures are WAY on my side, but out of date. My assuming that they'd change was to the detriment of my overall argument, but in the interest of honesty, because it's not a stretch to say that a badly reffed event, like the current WWC, could have an impact on VAR approval rating in the court of public opinion. That's a big difference compared to using anecdotal crap and assumptions that HELP your argument.

But if you want to stick to the last widely known data, that's fine with me:

~75% of people like VAR, want VAR in the prem, and are ok with the brief waits that occur during VAR checks because they value the correct calls being right when it's concerning an important incident, which VAR gets 5% more correct on the whole than a non-VAR crew.

That's from multiple public polls as well as that study of VAR calls across multiple leagues and competitions which all showed ~5% increase in correct calls.

:thumbsup:

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said "even if we agreed"... Trump has never used that much of a qualifier in his LIFE.

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    when was this, hobo? and ... source(s) ?

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From last year.

The sources were posted at the time, I dunno... they’re in the old thread, I’m on my phone.

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'd be curious to see how these numbers stack up now after the VAR farce of this summer.
    Several high profile people have expressed a change of attitude towards it.

SamScouse repped this.
  20. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They've got to find a way of to do the checking without having the game grind to a halt each time.

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that was my entire point. I’m sure it has gone down after this tournament.

22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only way I see that happening is trusting the referee in the sky over the on-field referee. Make the check last only a minute (have a clock if you have to) and let the VAR ref make the final decision. Also, this would have to be for truly clear and obvious errors relating to goals and red cards. Most unbiased observers can agree on a replay incident pretty quick without having to drag the referee across the field to view it himself. Or am I being naive?

23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    based on a lot of the VAR decisions we've seen, that's not the case. some calls are simply too tight and will never be unanimous.

I feel the opposite approach is better -- if VAR spots something, tell the ref, then HE looks at the sideline monitor and HE makes the decision. that'd save time, and imo the ppl making game-changing decisions should be on the pitch.

where you can boo and swear at them mercilessly. :)

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But that's what's happening now, which you're not happy about...

25. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I honestly don't know the answer but some of these var incidents are bordering on the bizarre now. Last night Toronto FC v Atlanta the ref had blown the final whistle , the players were walking off the field only to be called back to the pitch after a video review determined Toronto defender Nick DeLeon committed a handball inside the box. :confused:

usscouse and SamScouse repped this.