Don't Panic! - The Winter 2019/2020 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Oct 14, 2019.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think we are on the same page. What I said was that Maddison isn't good enough to improve us significantly and given the limitations in his game, it makes far more sense to add a forward rather than a 10.

As far as attackers go, we should break the bank for Sancho and if he's not available then we have to look for more raw talent that can become elite. This much is clear: we must have a goals/creativity/pace/dribbling on the right. If AWB is the RB then we need someone who can produce 25 G+A in a season at minimum.

2. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Isnt our most glaring hole today and into the future?

At least at 9 we have potential in Martial, at LWF its potential in Rashford and at RWF we have potential in Greenwood.

At 10, it's a giant black hole for the foreseeable future. Maybe Gomes as potential, but hes nothing like the above 3.

Break the bank for a young 10.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Who would that be?

4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Honestly, I dont know.

I was coming from a place more of looking longer term at what we have and our biggest holes.

Love sancho. Loads. Hes among the absolute best for his age. Would love him here.

But, if it's a case of limited funds, surely we have to plug holes first.

And, we are simply bollocks at 10 for any creativity, goals, assists, anything.

Maybe Kai? He seems very promising.

benni... repped this.
  5. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He's out of our league lol.

Im sure well settle for Thomas Muller

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    why? we still have pulling power even if it isn't absolute.

regardless, just because the papers have decided to link us to mid table talents doesn't mean we should go for them.

i'll pass on Maddison because he hasn't produced 10G or 10A a season. we need more or like you said do without. go for the city model and have multiple creators on the field without solely relying on one

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The day of the luxury 10 is long gone. Maddison and Mount are grabbing a lot of attention, but they are very much luxury 10s. I just looked at 2 of Mount's games that Chelsea won by a combined score of 9-3 and he had a TOTAL for 64 passes in 180 minutes. We can't have a 10 who is a passenger. Much better off playing an extra forward who can drop deep when needed rather than a 10 who won't score as many as a forward and doesn't work as a midfielder at all.

jnielsen, LA. MAN UNITED and Amdrag repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #33 Ashur, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    The papers are still very much linking us with top tier talent. Sancho and Havertz among others are proof of this: those rumors are very much fueled by the media. Selling teams themselves and/or agents do so as well, as they love using United when it comes to negotiating with other teams.
    Bottom line still is, United because of who we are (from an historical and financial point of view), are still a club with some pull. But missing out for the 2nd season in a row, will surely hurt our ability to bring in top tier talent also. Even more so, when those players, because of their talent and profile, have options available to them elsewhere.

9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He is out of our league because he is a top tier talent who could start at Bayern, Madrid and possibly Juve. Why settle for us?

Also if not tier 2 talent, who is a realistic option? No one can name one player who.os realistic and raises our game.

Dybala would have been the only one.

Amdrag repped this.
  10. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I mean, I can definitely think of someone.

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well really there aren't many 10's to begin withand truly i can't name one offhand.

as i said, we can go without one and try the city style balance. however, that will take time as we only have 1 of 5/6 while they have 5 or 6/6

12. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Sell Jesse to Watford or somesuch, sign Bruno, keep AP and Angel. It's not that difficult tbh.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You know what? Since we clearly dont want Bruno and all other posters best alternative to Maddison is " Dont we have good scouts?"

I just say ******** buying a no. 10. There's no point if Pogba's here anyway. Just go single pivot and watch our weaklings get outplayed daily by Mark Noble.

15. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What is City style balance? How can we play or do anything like City?

16. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FFS just get Bruno and Haaland plz

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i mean the way they balance the attacking burden by having several players who can create , assist and score instead of centralising it around a single player.

right now we're depending on Pogba to create and Rashford/Martial to score

18. RedDevil98

RedDevil98 New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Nov 4, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We need Sancho and Maddison. Absolute mad these two

19. RedDevil98

RedDevil98 New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Nov 4, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t expect any major signing in January but I do expect Woodward and co to start negotiations for the summer transfer window. For once it would be nice to be a head of the curve and get our business done early in the summer especially with the Euros coming up.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This vid dates back all the way from January, but it gives a nice overview on Havertz. And while it definitely would be tough to land him, we really should, as it's been stated, at least give it a try. Nothing to lose and everything to gain with such a prodigious talent.
    Could be presumed that Bayern would be the favorites to get him, but he has reportedly expressed an interest in leaving Germany.

23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Oh, so Barca then? Or Juve?

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    We wouldn't know what to do with a 10 anyway. We could have Maradona or Zico, we would still not qualify for top 4.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    For this to work, we'd need to overhaul the entire midfield. We'd also need a standard of player we seem incapable of acquiring.