Don't Panic! - The Winter 2019/2020 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    You're sleeping on Garner and Levitt. And Mejbri. No way is Jude going to be in our 2nd XI straight off the bat. He'll go on loan for a couple of years, probably. And Pogba and AP will be gone this summer / phased into obsolescence respectively.

2. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair we acquired a handful of talented young players this summer, we are good with youth transfers. Our academy still has pull, our first team on the other hand....

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we were to get him this month, it probably would be best to keep him right where he is for the remainder of the season and possibly thru next season as well.
    Remains to be seen if he's ready at this point for regular Prem action and being a backup would be counter productive to his development.
    And stockpiling on talent is fine, but he'd arguably in direct competition with the likes of Garner and Levitt, just to name those 2. As mentioned, I'm perfectly fine with the idea of going after young talent, that is why Soumare is the one I believe would be a great target for us (being that he'd suit a massive need for us in midfield in the holding role).

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I'd keep Andreas and let go of the other 10's in the team. Mata is just about done. I have no faith in Jesse and he'd fetch a bigger transfer fee.

J'can, Deadtigers and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Which is all fine by me. I think DT was thinking the same based on his list of 6 midfielders.

Maybe Bellingham does stay if we sign him, but I think he'd get fewer minutes than Greenwood, maybe Chong level tops. He's 16 and getting on well in the Championship but he's not too good for that comp as far as I can tell.

benni... repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Pretty safe to assume by now that it's beyond doubt that both sides are talking (probably have been in talks for longer than we think imo). And now it's about closing on the deal and if the rumor of players added to the deal is true, that might drag things a bit longer.
    I'd offer either Rojo and Mata plus cash or I'd even consider Rojo plus Gomes on loan for 2 seasons, plus cash. Wouldn't mind the option of sending Gomes to Portugal for a bit (provided he signed a new deal with us): think it would be close to ideal for him now and probably us in the long run.

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Ok, I jumped the gun with the kid. I didnt know anything about him a few hours ago. So sign him and loan him back Bham city for the rest of the season. Then loan him out to be a bottom table side next season.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #384 Sofabloke, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Fact is with 24 appearances 23 of them league (championship) he is far ahead of both Garner (7 appearances 2 league) and Levitt (1 appearance 0 league) at this point.

Sure he is younger, but experience yardstick for youngsters is really appearance in adult games at a decent level - which the Championship is.

He probably has a better claim to a starting position than those two (who really do need to go on loan given they are not getting games). But agree in loaning him back for rest of season, then see who looks ready pre-season and see if we finally make some other CM signings (so can see who should go out in loan).

Also need to figure out our midfield setup, keep hearing that Garner and Levitt are more attacking mids than #6s. Bellingham is an attacking mid who could be a #10:in our setup. If we get Bruno who is also an 8 or 10 would rather we just switch to a three-man mid which does mean getting a #6 or two to make room for all these #8s.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1216411504318218241 is not a valid tweet id

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Is Bruno even a Mou type player?

12. S e n s e i

S e n s e i New Member

Jan 4, 2020

I believe Garner is a 6 and Levitt an 8

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garner is a 6/8: he's played most of the games this season at the 8 spot though. Which partially explains why his scoring output has exploded this season.
    Galbraith and this past Friday, Timmy have played at the 6 next to him.
    Levitt is definitely an 8, who easily can play at the 10, if the setup requires it.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they were to bring him in, it stands to reason that he'd be Eriksen's direct replacement (who is gone either this month or in the summer).
    That being said, I think the Spurs link to be a smokescreen, especially with Gedson Fernandes being seriously linked to them (as confirmed today by Romano).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7O1HFsoCUj/

15. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Levitt and Garner are 6/8s. Levitt has been playing deeper of the two as Garner is more athletic and has been encouraged to score more goals. But both have been playing deep in the double pivot all season.

Levitt is a full-on DLP with exceptional passing ability - Garner is more of an all-rounder. Bellingham looks like he's a fun dribbler and is inventive with his flicks, but he doesn't look like having nearly the same passing range, and his left foot needs a LOT of work. I think he'd be getting more minutes in the 10 or out wide, if we kept up our current formation.

16. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

17. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hope he turns out good if we sign him.

18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Turning down Raiola is a plus :)

20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    we've ruined plenty good signing before. we have to hope this is different if this is real.

then they all become "bad signings" in hindsight

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    who is tvi? are they credible?

22. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some were bad, like we called it way before hindsight.

23. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exclusive to United Extra? Doubt it.

24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Portuguese tv station - so credible no, but probably noteworthy. A number of other stories piggbacked off this one.

The Portuguese journo Goncalo Lopes has got transfer stuff wrong before too.

Need @Holy__Joe or someone knowledgable in the country to comment on these sources really.

25. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This would be cool but we’ve been done in too many times by the imminent transfer that I don’t really care anymore until I see the guy on the field for another club.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.